Which cruise line do you think is best for Alaska and why?

Loki_77573

My DH and I are finally considering booking a cruise to Alaska.

I have sailed on Carnival, NCL, Royal Caribbean, Celebrity, and Princess.

I look forward to sailing on Holland America just because it hasn't yet crossed my path.

Each has their good (and bad) points and I have found that seems to be better in different ports and parts of the world.

So I am asking my fellow CruiseCritics which line do you think is best for Alaska and why.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Lori

Princess has been sailing to Alaska longer than the others and has built relationships that make it better than most of the others. Look carefully at itinerary. If this is a once-in-a-lifetime cruise for you, you'll probably want one that includes Glacier Bay. Some of the cruise lines don't have permits to sail there.

If you look on the Alaska board, this question is asked very regularly. HAL and Princess have both been there for a very long time.

As commonly discussed on the Alaska board a more important consideration might be itinerary and times in port. Glacier Bay is a highlight on any Alaska cruise, but not all cruise lines have permits to go there. Coincidentally, Princess and HAL have the most permits.

Some reading over on the Alaska board would get you a lot of info.

While I agree that HAL and Princess have the most experience in Alaska, we booked both our Alaska cruises on HAL. The first one because the itinerary included both Glacier Bay and Tracy Arm. And the second one because we were doing a cruise/tour and the longest land portion (12 days, including the Yukon) was on HAL.

Princess and HAL has cruised longer in Alaska. The majority of our Alaskan cruises have been on Princess and HAL.

One thing you want to check on before you book -- how long your ship will be in the various ports. Some ships do not stay as long in port as they used to.

Also -- not all cruise lines go to Glacier Bay.

You also have to decide what interests you -- whale watching? Etc. Not everyone wants to do the same thing.

Holland America has a 14-day Alaska cruise that goes all the way to Anchorage (not Seward or Whittier); the ship is there for many hours. They also spend a couple of days in the more "off the beaten path" towns of Homer and Kodiak.

If you have the time, this is one cruise worth considering, since it offers the usual tourist stops, and more of the "real" Alaska.

If you are simply talking about cruising to certain ports in Alaska, we think it makes little difference if you cruise on HAL, Princess, Celebrity, RCI, etc. They all offer similar tours (usually operated by the same shore-side contractors) in the ports or you can simply go off on your own. So for that kind of cruise we would look at price, the specific ship, and the itinerary. But if you want to combine a cruise with a land trip we recommend taking a good look at both HAL and Princess since both of those companies have a long history of providing excellent land-based extensions to your cruise.

Hank

Hi fellow cruisers

WE are looking to take our 5 grandsons ages 5-10 years old on Alaska cruise. And our interested in which ships offer the most onboard activities for kids during the sea days. There will be 6 adults, 1- 5 year old, 2- 7 year olds and 2 -10 year olds (all boys)

WE are trying to identify several specific ships

any suggestions greatly appreciated

thanks

Bob

Hi fellow cruisers

WE are looking to take our 5 grandsons ages 5-10 years old on Alaska cruise. And our interested in which ships offer the most onboard activities for kids during the sea days. There will be 6 adults, 1- 5 year old, 2- 7 year olds and 2 -10 year olds (all boys)

thanks

Bob

Again, as mentioned above, check the Alaska board. A very recent thread asking almost the exact same question:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2261040

As stated above, HAL and Princess have the most experience and contacts/connections for sailing Alaska. Only a certain number of permits are issued each year to enter some of the glacier areas and HAL gets more than some other cruise lines.

Pick the itinerary you like best as I agree that is very important.

I was on Princess in 2013 and NCL in 2014

Everyone says Princess is better but I thought as far as the line went they were both the same. Both went to the same places and had same excursions. I did prefer Princess because of the atmosphere on the ship though.

Hi fellow cruisers

thanks

Bob

Here are the kids activities on Holland America Lines Ms Noordam for May 2015:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/here/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/AL-15-Kids-3-7.pdf

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/here/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/AL-15-Kids-8-12.pdf

Best is in the eyes of the beholder.

And most people have only sailed on one or two cruise ships/lines so they tend to recommend those.

First decide whether or not you want to do a land program before or after the cruise in Alaska. If yes, then consider Celebrity, Princess and Holland America because each line has their own land program. The drawback to Celebrity is that it doesn't sail Glacier Bay but there are also other positives.

If you don't plan to do an overland than look at other cruise lines too and they run the gambit from luxury lines such as Crystal to mainstream lines such as NCL, RCI and Carnival.

Again, don't start by asking what the best is. Start by figuring out what type of itinerary you would like to take.

I would also do a lot of research on the Alaska Ports Of Call Board.

I have been to Alaska many times on several different cruise lines. Alaska is more about Alaska.

Keith

My DH and I are finally considering booking a cruise to Alaska.

I have sailed on Carnival, NCL, Royal Caribbean, Celebrity, and Princess.

I look forward to sailing on Holland America just because it hasn't yet crossed my path.

Each has their good (and bad) points and I have found that seems to be better in different ports and parts of the world.

So I am asking my fellow CruiseCritics which line do you think is best for Alaska and why.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Lori

Let me first address the which line is best in Alaska question. As you can see, Princess and HAL have successfully pulled the blanket over a lot of people's eyes and somehow convinced them that being in that region longer makes them better. It's a bunch of BS, so don't fall for it. The other lines have been there 20+ years also.

There's only 1 line I do not recommend in Alaska and that's Carnival.

I've cruised Alaska numerous times on 4 different cruise line and frankly, my favorite was the one-way itinerary between Seward and Vancouver on Radiance of the Seas. In fact, Princess was my least favorite because of their ships being so darn crowded and their staterooms being so cramped and outdated.

But as for HAL, they are still a good choice for that region. Do not expect a whole lot of activities. Prepare for the ship falling asleep early. But they do have great service, good food, and nice spacious staterooms.

HAL just caters to an older clientele and rock climbing walls and belly flop contests don't appeal to that group :)

While a majority of HAL cruisers may be older, I wouldn't say HAL "caters" to them any more than other cruisers onboard. I've seen plenty of people on our HAL cruises that weren't what could be classified as "older" clientele. Families with young children, as well as college/young adult ones.

It doesn't require being older to feel that climbing walls and belly flop contest aren't the only way to enjoy a cruise.

While a majority of HAL cruisers may be older, I wouldn't say HAL "caters" to them any more than other cruisers onboard. I've seen plenty of people on our HAL cruises that weren't what could be classified as "older" clientele. Families with young children, as well as college/young adult ones.

It doesn't require being older to feel that climbing walls and belly flop contest aren't the only way to enjoy a cruise.

Hey I love HAL..... But on my last three HAL trips at 62 I was absolutely among the youngest on that ship. I did see a handful of kids with extended families. But seriously I believe they do cater to a much older crowd and have trouble seeing my 40 something kids and families happy on a HAL ship.

Hey I love HAL..... But on my last three HAL trips at 62 I was absolutely among the youngest on that ship. I did see a handful of kids with extended families. But seriously I believe they do cater to a much older crowd and have trouble seeing my 40 something kids and families happy on a HAL ship.

I guess it sorta depends on what the 40 something cruiser is looking for in a cruise. In our family, we cruise to get away and relax. Climbing rocks and belly flop contests aren't what I'd consider relaxing. Cooking demos/lessons; computer classes; jigsaw puzzles, that works for us.