Putting something on cabin door. Tape or magnet?

bryanjaync

Then that is what the walls must be as magnets have worked for us on every cruise ship we have been on .....and that is quite a few.

Same here. My magnets always work on the metal walls on Celebrity.

Edited by Vol fan

I'm happy that your Aunt is in good health and able to find her way around a large ship without any help. Our situation with my parents was quite different. On our last cruise with my parents (both deceased now 3 and 2 years) several years ago my father had Alzheimer's and my mother had macular degeneration. Even with a pretty decorated door and a cabin that was right next to the elevators they had some minor issues finding their way to their cabin. One day I found them strolling down a hallway on the wrong deck. They weren't panicked and when I approached them they said they knew someone would come and find them or they would figure it out themselves eventually. They were having a lovely walk. :)

As with any accessibility help, whether it's large print books or a cane/walker, some people will need it and some won't. The first time we put a decoration on a cabin door for my parents my father said, "I should be able to that!" He was grateful for the help.

Obviously there are difference in the abilities and needs of different elderly people.

Nobody is questioning that, just as nobody questions that there are differences in the abilities and needs of different people in any age range.

It is easy to understand why people find it just as offensive to be stereotyped by age as by ethnic group, gender or nationality.

Glad that you were able to provide assistance for your parents when they needed it, but undoubtedly you would have done the same if they had needed such help even when they were younger.

For those old enough to remember the 1980 presidential election, remember Ronald Reagan's famous statement about not making age an issue. :D

We had a small car door magnet made by "Vistaprint" which is I think worldwide. The magnet has a picture and our name on it. On our last cruise I forgot it was on our door, went to the wrong cabin and then down to Guest relations saying my seapass wasn't working. New one worked great on the right door

Edited by Beanb41

We always decorate. Have done 3+ stocking from the dollar store for x-mass, jingle bell door knobs (not a great idea), fish & fish net held on via blue paint tape & the next trip custom magnets. All the doors look the same & so much easier when slightly buzzed to fund the room.

It's a tradition & we live it. We've even used our fish extender in celebrity. Had several neighbors than us fir decorating stating it was easier to find their rooms.

I love decorating my door. So much so that I change it each evening ready for the next day. Usually with a nice picture and some facts on where we'll be that day on a piece of A4 paper. Stick it on with blu-tac and it's no hassle to the room attendants then and easy to remove. They love seeing what I will put up the next day.

I am not one for decorating cabin doors, but to each his/her own. But we are taking my 88 year old parents on the Reflection, and I think something on their door may make it easier for them to recognize their cabin. Maybe a picture of a dog or something cute like that. Is it allowed? If so, tape or magnets clip things? Thanks

We do it all the time. It is nice to put home State magnets one the door and some people purchase magnetic white boards and hang a marker from it in order to write notes . The dog magnet sounds nice. I am sure you can have it made easily.

Once again, people will do what they want, no matter the rules, or whether anyone else thinks its tacky or not.

Its total disregard for rules and other people. Its all about ME. It's MY vacation and "I" will do what "I" want.

It's part of cruising. You get used to it.

Once again, people will do what they want, no matter the rules, or whether anyone else thinks its tacky or not.

Its total disregard for rules and other people. Its all about ME. It's MY vacation and "I" will do what "I" want.

Never have been told it isn't allowed. In fact, if you order a bon voyage, just married or birthday package your cabin attendant puts a sign on the door. Perhaps you have been told by another cruise line or things have changed.

Never have been told it isn't allowed. In fact, if you order a bon voyage, just married or birthday package your cabin attendant puts a sign on the door. Perhaps you have been told by another cruise line or things have changed.

It was a general statement, not regarding stickers on doors.

Question, if this is against the rules of the cruise lines, why does Cruise Critic have a link to custom designed CC door signs? Would the Owners of the site chance the wrath of every line in the industry by disregarding the rules?

How about a link to the rule you mention we are breaking since our first cruise in 1987? I have looked thru my 30 pages of the ticket contract and FAQ area, and can not find any references to such.

Your knowledge of the matter would be appreciated.

Especially since we are on the Equinox sailing in November together. I would not feel good about causing you distress during your holiday.

Edited by wallie5446

Question, if this is against the rules of the cruise lines, why does Cruise Critic have a link to custom designed CC door signs? Would the Owners of the site chance the wrath of every line in the industry by disregarding the rules?

How about a link to the rule you mention we are breaking since our first cruise in 1987? I have looked thru my 30 pages of the ticket contract and FAQ area, and can not find any references to such.

Your knowledge of the matter would be appreciated.

I did not state that putting stickers on the door was breaking the rules. Please re-read my comment.

Edited by pauly

"no matter the rules" and "total disregard for rules"

Re-read your comment. What am I missing?

what rules are being broken? My butler has even gone and fetched double sided tape for me when my magnets were not holding well enough. I figure if the ship's staff is actually getting me the tape, it must be acceptable.

We bought a kitchen magnet at every port and put them on our bathroom door although friends did the same thing to their entrance door. It was interesting to see what their door looked like each day

Hi Judy,

I think it you might have been referring to our door. We enjoy purchasing a magnet from each port we sail to and putting it on the cabin door when the ship leaves each port.

Regards,

Edited by Cruise a holic

Who says you get to be in charge of what is considered tacky? MYOB is the best rule to follow.

Who says you get to be in charge of what is considered tacky? MYOB is the best rule to follow.

Yep.

I alway love the argument "it's all about ME. It's MY vacation and "I" will do what "I" want" people are the problem.

Just by saying that sentence includes one in that group! One person wants to do "tacky things" is guilty of ME ME ME as much as someone who doesn't want to allow "tacky things" is guilty of "ME ME ME".

The old "catch-22" situation.

Same logic applies to deck chair hogs. Those who reserver are trying to do their vacation their way, just as much as those who want to come out late and find a chair are doing their vacation their way. Both people can not have 100% satisfaction It's all about blending.

I'll admit that I am one of those horrible, tacky people that decorate their door :cool: - and I do it because it makes me happy. :)

The first rule of decorating is that you never damage the ship and you clean up after yourself before you leave.

On longer cruises I take 2 - 40 lb hooks that hang on the cabin wall and hold my long evening gowns. Works every time.

Well we got a very timely package today from one of the couples we are sailing with for the 3rd cruise in a row. She made us and another couple some beach door art for Nov.

Love the beach art for your doors. I need to get hook up with your friend Wallie :D. See you in Nov.