Hurricane & Splendor out of N.Y.

TVLady3

Right now on Sunday the storm is going it be south, of Cape Hatteras and heading for the middle of NJ. You should be able to slip out of NY and head north. It is not going to be the best weather.

Of course anything can happen between now and then, but Sunday morning is when you should be checking with the line to see if they have any diversions.

My Wishs for a happy cruise.

AKK

On Sunday Oct.4th I'm booked on the New England & Canada cruise.

If the hurricane continues to go north could this cruise go south or Bermuda instead? :confused:

Starting to get a bit nervous.:eek:

If the storm continues on its projected path your cruise could easily be rerouted, but at this time anything is pure speculation.

Edited by zqvol

If the hurricane continues to go north could this cruise go south or Bermuda instead? :confused:

NOAA and the Weather Channel are forecasting 30 to 40 foot wave heights between Bermuda and the Mid Atlantic Coast.

I don't think you want to head south into these waters.

this cruise, and the pride out of baltimore could be easily canceled. I'm leaving for a cruise out of NOLA on the 4th. I fly he 3rd. they are forecasting 6 inches of rain and 55 mph winds here in charlotte. I may be driving to NOLA

this cruise, and the pride out of baltimore could be easily canceled. I'm leaving for a cruise out of NOLA on the 4th. I fly he 3rd. they are forecasting 6 inches of rain and 55 mph winds here in charlotte. I may be driving to NOLA

They almost never entirely cancel cruises for weather related issues. Where there's a will and millions of dollars on the table, they typically find a way even if it is not ideal.

Even a shortened / lengthened or cruise to nowhere is more likely than a full out cancellation

They almost never entirely cancel cruises for weather related issues. Where there's a will and millions of dollars on the table, they typically find a way even if it is not ideal.

Even a shortened / lengthened or cruise to nowhere is more likely than a full out cancellation

They did when Sandy hit. I know this storm kinda popped up overnight, but they won't sail those ships through a hurricane. Coming off the east coast there just isn't anywhere to go. It's not like in FLa. They simply can't take an eastern cruise, and make it a western

They did when Sandy hit. I know this storm kinda popped up overnight, but they won't sail those ships through a hurricane. Coming off the east coast there just isn't anywhere to go. It's not like in FLa. They simply can't take an eastern cruise, and make it a western

I was on a ship (RCL) during Sandy, they will sail, its much safer for the ship to be out in the ocean.

We left out of Bayonne on Sunday the day Sandy was to hit that evening. It was a 7 day cruise to Bermuda and that is where we went. Yes there were very high waves and the water was so rough that the dishes and food went all over at breakfast the 1st day at sea. I didn't see only heard about it since I stayed in the cabin till about 10:30 hoping the ship would settle. Only food until dinner were sandwiches, it was a great cruise. We sailed all the way to Jacksonville Fl, before heading to Bermuda.

So glad I didn't drive and leave my car at the port, the parking at the pier is low and all the cars at the Pier were underwater. Those who did had to replace there car due to the salt water.

I was also affected last year with a 4 day cruise to Canada over July 4 (2014) there was a really nasty tropical storm hitting Saint John the same day we would be there. It was decided just prior to boarding that we would go to Bermuda instead.

I am sure it will all work out.

I too was on a ship (NCL) during Sandy.:eek: As a matter of fact as we departed the N.Y. harbor your ship was right in front of us sailing south also. I agree, that was some ride on those waves, first time I ever got seasick. And then as we came back to the N.Y. port after some beautiful weather in Florida, I could not get a ride home because of road closings and no power. Well, I sloved that problem by staying on the ship for another week and I made it a B2B!:D I even got an upgrade for free. There were quite alot of empty cabins from no shows

Thanks everyone for your thoughts on the approaching current storm.:)

A few years back we were booked on a 4 day Canada Cruise out of NY and a hurricane was coming up the coast, we did sail, and the captain kept us updated constantly with info on the path of storm, once it was determined that it was likely to be miserable in St John it was decided we'd be going further out off tip of Long Island to avoid it and I was shocked that we had absolutely gorgeous weather, the captain was able to steer away from the storm and we had a pretty nice 'cruise to nowhere' - I do recall that one overnight the rocking was pretty severe and I 'might' have vowed to never sail again, but the last couple days were nice enough I forgot about that 'vow' LOL - and Carnival refunded the port fee for St John and gave us letters offering discount on a future cruise..... I sailed same itinerary a few weeks later and had a great time. Here's hoping you have a safe and lovely cruise wherever it may go.

The ship will sail, no one keeps a boat (especially one that makes millions and costs millions) in port when a storm hits.

No company is going to sail directly into the storm either, see above about the millions as to why, as they're going to find the safest way possible, but safe doesn't = easy.

Besides, who wants to sail on a sheet of blue? Don't you want to feel like you're the Ancient Mariner and at the mercy of the Weather, Death and She Lilfe in Death? C'mon!

The ship will sail, no one keeps a boat (especially one that makes millions and costs millions) in port when a storm hits.

I love these broad stroke statements, cruise will be cancelled, no body stays in port.

Caribbean Princes during Sandy we left Brooklyn on Saturday and it was very rough. Tied up in Boston Sunday, 3 tugs and 21 lines keeping us against the pier in 90 knot winds. We were in Port during the storm stuck on the ship until Wednesday. Came back to NYC Friday.

FWIW

I love these broad stroke statements, cruise will be cancelled, no body stays in port.

Caribbean Princes during Sandy we left Brooklyn on Saturday and it was very rough. Tied up in Boston Sunday, 3 tugs and 21 lines keeping us against the pier in 90 knot winds. We were in Port during the storm stuck on the ship until Wednesday. Came back to NYC Friday.

FWIW

With all due respect, almost ALL cruise ships prefer to be at sea weathering any storm than the beating they usually take in port, risking having the port closed so they can't get out, or a storm surge of 10-12 feet+ which would make the lines useless as the ship would be floating above the dock or sitting on it, etc.

Edited by glrounds

I was on the Carnival Miracle out of NYC during Hurricane Sandy. The ship left a day earlier (the cruise before us lost a day). We had the option of cancelling the cruise, but we decided to go. The first night was a doozy! There were lots of sick people. All furniture from the balconies had to be brought into the staterooms and we weren't allowed out on the open decks. It ended up being a great cruise, but I'd never sail through a hurricane again.

Carnival did a great job of keeping us informed in the 48 hours before we were scheduled to embark.

Just called Carnival for any updates, nothing has been decided yet. And just last week this cruise was sold out, now checking their website lots of cabins are available! Must be alot of cancelations.:eek:

I don't see how we can go north when that's where Juaquinnis going. I would hope they'd tell us tonight. Could involve a whole different clothes packing situation!