Jones Act on Jewel Pacific Coastal

OceanDreaming2

I'm certainly no expert either, but it sounds like your itinerary began in the US but ended in Canada. That might be the reason your itinerary was allowed.

You may be right, but the fact is that "NCL" ( customer service reps ) tried to tell many that it was illegal and a no go when that was not correct. If there is any question in the OPs mind about whether or not they are being given correct info, I'd kick it up the chain for a final answer. I would not take a CSR's word, or that of anyone on a message board, for a final answer.

I am no expert on the PVSA, but we had a situation in 2013 where we booked a Pacific Coastal to Vancouver and then the Vancouver to Vancouver Alaska itinerary. If it makes any difference, we had a port stop in Victoria, CA on the Alaska portion. We booked these two cruises with not a peep from NCL, but others were denied the second Alaska leg by customer service at NCL with citing of the PVSA violation. Theywere told to book another ncl ship for the second leg.

Not wanting a nasty surprise at the dock in Vancouver between cruises or a fine, we placed a call to the VP of Passenger Services at NCL @ 305-436-4000. We were told that these 2 cruises back to back on the same ship were indeed legal and no violation. Customer Service was educated and the others were able to book. No fines for anyone.

Perhaps my situation is totally different from yours, but I would not take the word of a CSR at NCL when it comes to PVSA interpretation, as clearly, in our situation, they were dead wrong. Call and get the answer from Passenger Services if there is any question.

I'll keep the phone number if the situation comes up again. Thank you.

We're booked on the Pacific Coastal next year going from LA to Vancouver and then continuing on the same ship, same room, from Vancouver (via Alaska) to Seattle. Is this a violation of some sort?

I tried to do this in 2013 and NCL called back to say it wasn't allowed. So we switched to the Sun, which did the Pacific Coastal from Los Angeles to Vancouver, then did Alaska roundtrip from Vancouver. Even after changing, we got several calls from NCL saying it was illegal. My TA finally got a letter from the NCL reservation supervisor saying it was legal.

To my mind it was better to switch to a different ship than to have to change ships (which in our case would have required an overnight stay).

I am no expert on the PVSA, but we had a situation in 2013 where we booked a Pacific Coastal to Vancouver and then the Vancouver to Vancouver Alaska itinerary. If it makes any difference, we had a port stop in Victoria, CA on the Alaska portion. We booked these two cruises with not a peep from NCL, but others were denied the second Alaska leg by customer service at NCL with citing of the PVSA violation. Theywere told to book another ncl ship for the second leg.

Not wanting a nasty surprise at the dock in Vancouver between cruises or a fine, we placed a call to the VP of Passenger Services at NCL @ 305-436-4000. We were told that these 2 cruises back to back on the same ship were indeed legal and no violation. Customer Service was educated and the others were able to book. No fines for anyone.

Perhaps my situation is totally different from yours, but I would not take the word of a CSR at NCL when it comes to PVSA interpretation, as clearly, in our situation, they were dead wrong. Call and get the answer from Passenger Services if there is any question.

BIG difference. You were getting on in LA and off in Vancouver. A whole different story with the poster, getting on in LA and off in Seattle. Who was the "they" who were told they couldn't book the round trip Vancouver? Were they also adding on the following week that went to Whittier? That would be a violation.

You may be right, but the fact is that "NCL" ( customer service reps ) tried to tell many that it was illegal and a no go when that was not correct. If there is any question in the OPs mind about whether or not they are being given correct info, I'd kick it up the chain for a final answer. I would not take a CSR's word, or that of anyone on a message board, for a final answer.

Not "may be right"...it is right.

The PVSA only applies to itineraries that both start and end in the US. Yours started in the US and ended in Canada.

Here's official documentation with a full explanation of the law and its interpretation from CBP. http://www.cbp.gov/sites/default/files/documents/pvsa_icp_3.pdf

BIG difference. You were getting on in LA and off in Vancouver. A whole different story with the poster, getting on in LA and off in Seattle. Who was the "they" who were told they couldn't book the round trip Vancouver? Were they also adding on the following week that went to Whittier? That would be a violation.

"They" were people on our Alaska Roll Call who were trying to book both legs, the Pacific Coastal to Vancouver and then the Vancouver to Vancouver Alaska on the same ship. Just pointing out that NCL booking reps said this was illegal until they got a correction from Passenger Services after a query about it. I am not arguing that the OP's situation is legal or not, just pointing out to others that NCL reps do not always have the correct answers, which I am sure is not a revelation to anyone. If in doubt, check further.

This is legal because you finished in Vancouver.

Not "may be right"...it is right.

The PVSA only applies to itineraries that both start and end in the US. Yours started in the US and ended in Canada.

Here's official documentation with a full explanation of the law and its interpretation from CBP. http://www.cbp.gov/sites/default/files/documents/pvsa_icp_3.pdf

This is legal because you finished in Vancouver.

Yes, yes, everyone, I know my back to back was "legal" under PVSA. The point I am trying to make is that sometimes NCL is WRONG in their interpretation of the PVSA. They tried to tell many on my b2b that it could not be done. I could have just left it there, and cancelled one leg. Instead I took it further and got a correct answer from Corporate, rather than accepting the word of a PCC and her supervisor.

Am simply suggesting that anyone who gets an answer from a PCC re PVSA which they question should perhaps take it further.

Edited by punkincc

We tried to combine the last Alaska cruise with the Pacific Coastal but were told we could not due to the Jones Act. Yesterday, we heard that several people were allowed to do so, they just had to pay the fine of $300pp.

How is this possible; some can and some cannot? To the best of my knowledge they were U.S. citizens.

OceanDreaming, I was on the same cruise as you, I met two couples who were de-boarding in Victoria, then traveling independently to Vancouver, and re-boarding the Jewel the next day. They told me that NCL sold a Seattle to Victoria trip to them and taking that day off between made the coastal to LA legal. Food for thought.

OceanDreaming, I was on the same cruise as you, I met two couples who were de-boarding in Victoria, then traveling independently to Vancouver, and re-boarding the Jewel the next day. They told me that NCL sold a Seattle to Victoria trip to them and taking that day off between made the coastal to LA legal. Food for thought.

I knew of one couple disembarking in Victoria, but they didn't mention they were traveling to Vancouver so they could reboard the ship. Different rules for some, it seems. :(

Yes, yes, everyone, I know my back to back was "legal" under PVSA. The point I am trying to make is that sometimes NCL is WRONG in their interpretation of the PVSA. They tried to tell many on my b2b that it could not be done. I could have just left it there, and cancelled one leg. Instead I took it further and got a correct answer from Corporate, rather than accepting the word of a PCC and her supervisor.

Am simply suggesting that anyone who gets an answer from a PCC re PVSA which they question should perhaps take it further.

You didn't take the cruises did you? Your report of the first hand information is valid and hopefully would also encourage people to go to the official site as well. Thank you for your idea.

The law applies equally to all passengers, no matter what the cruise line says or sells. It's really very straight forward. Either you are in compliance with the law or you are not in compliance with the law.

If they are later found to be in violation, they will be fined. Not everyone is caught immediately.

I understand why the PVSA exists, but it can be inconvenient for cruisers. We were not allowed to add the Seattle to Vancouver overnight cruise to our Vancouver to LA trip because of the PVSA.

We are, instead, taking the coastal Amtrak from Seattle to Vancouver.

Gem sails a closed loop itinerary that embarks/disembarks from the same U.S. port. The distant foreign port is only required when embarkation and disembarkation occur in two different U.S. ports. In this case, a nearby foreign port suffices.

Your situation is different because you disembarked in Vancouver. PVSA doesn't apply to cruises that embark or disembark in a foreign port.

that is exactly what I thought.