Dietary Restriction Experience

seannyice81

Good afternoon,

Would anyone here be able to elaborate on their experience with how Carnival handled their diet needs/restrictions? Obviously I know to notify the ship and wait staff, but how well has it worked? Are there areas outside the MDR that were able to cater to you?

Thanks!

Good afternoon,

Would anyone here be able to elaborate on their experience with how Carnival handled their diet needs/restrictions? Obviously I know to notify the ship and wait staff, but how well has it worked? Are there areas outside the MDR that were able to cater to you?

Thanks!

It would help to know what your restrictions are and how severe. I require a gluten free diet and have had no issues.

When we first started cruising 10 years ago I think they handled restrictions really well.

As time has gone on ....with so many people now having restrictions, I think it is harder for them to keep up.

I cannot have walnuts and my friend's DH cannot eat Peanut Butter or Peas. We always contact special services plus let our waiter know the first night.

Last cruise we had some trouble with dinner in the MDR. Two times peas were added to the sauce and served to my friend.

Ultimately it is up to you. Tell everyone, but be careful.

My mom is a prediabetic she was able to get off the pills and testing but she still has to have the same restrictions just to avoid going back on it. When we went on the last cruise she found out a coupe of months prior that she was so she had to take pills and test herself. I did the same that I am doing now, I called when we first booked and talked to special needs department then I called a couple of days before we left to make sure it was noted.

The first day in the mdr we had the head guest person lady come up and tell her what is good and what isn't ( she did the same for my bf who has onion allergies) and for my bf who has onion allergies he was shown the next days menu and was able to order then so they could customize anything that was premade with onions in it (such as the alligator balls and some of the other appetizers).

For areas outside of the MDR my mom kinda just avoided anything that looked overly carb loaded. As for my Bf I would or he would ask if there was any onions in some of the premade dishes and for the most part they would find someone who could help us. Otherwise he would just stick to things like the hamburgers or chicken and things he knew would contain nothing that would set off his allergy.

As for the room service we would just ask for anything that contained onions to be kept off and for anything that I wanted that had onions we would just ask that they would make sure it was prepared separately then his.

So far for the two cruises we have had no problems with him having onion allergy issues and as for my mom it worked well that her blood sugar never became an issue. This cruise coming up is going to be a bit different in that she has to just make sure she doesn't carb overload and still keeps herself on track but not having to monitor. As for my bf we are doing the same as we have and hope that it keeps working. Just keeping some benadryl just in case :).

oh we will also see how they do with my grandma she has a ton of restrictions with having upper gi and lower gi issues. She has to avoid small nuts, seeds and anything that could aggravate her intestine. She also has fish and shellfish allergies and alcohol allergies as well as some other allergies and restrictions that I cant remember right now lol So this should be a lot of fun to see how well they do with all her restrictions.

Edited by Rainbowfalls

They may deal with this all the time, but they put peanuts on my 4 year old daughter's salad and she ate one! Luckily her reaction was not anaphylactic, and they were more attentive throughout the week after the incident. This was just a month ago. We informed them of her allergy and peanuts were no were listed on the item description. Just be on guard.

They may deal with this all the time, but they put peanuts on my 4 year old daughter's salad and she ate one! Luckily her reaction was not anaphylactic, and they were more attentive throughout the week after the incident. This was just a month ago. We informed them of her allergy and peanuts were no were listed on the item description. Just be on guard.

Amen to this!

Always a serious issue when it happens to you or your loved one.