So frustrated.. flights just so expensive!

pbnjrockette

BA announced a 2 day business class fare sale with a huge range of dates. If you sign up for AARP (anyone can do it, any age for $16) then you can save $400 per person on flights. So $1600 or so for international business class. It's practically theft at that price. Even more so when you can combine the 10% off they have BA Chase Visa Signature cardholders if you travel during 2015.

http://www.britishairways.com/en-us/offers/business-class-flights?source=H01X&hpsource=H01AXBusinessclassto[/quote

Many hugs to you!!!! Been looking at $1800 economy tickets. Got great tickets from ABQ to STO and return AMS to ABQ for this summer for LESS than the economy seats I've been looking at. I have looked at every possible flight departing from LV, DEN, PHX ..... using Southwest to connect to ABQ and only saving a few 100. Now we have seats in Business from Abq....2 stops but that's to be expected. Can you tell I'm excited!

Thanks again, Sand piper

You can also take Amtrak from Phil. to EWR if your have more flight choices from EWR. Have been on the train from D.C. to Penn Station and seen plenty of people with luggage exiting at the stop for EWR.

I have taken the train from New Carrollton (1st stop out of Washington, DC) to EWR for flights -- works great and very easy. You could also take the train to BWI airport and then Marc to the airport though I have not done this -- my home airport and we drive or taxi. I often pick up a rental car from Avis at my local Sears store and drive it to Dulles airport. You probably would not want to go to Dulles by train-- too long to connect from DC train station.

Really EWR/JFK/IAD are the major hubs for international flights on this part of the Atlantic coast and about the only airports with no stops to Europe. Just the facts of life. You pay with stops and time or you pay with money but you pay. Not too many cheap perfect flights out there;)

BA announced a 2 day business class fare sale with a huge range of dates. If you sign up for AARP (anyone can do it, any age for $16) then you can save $400 per person on flights. So $1600 or so for international business class. It's practically theft at that price. Even more so when you can combine the 10% off they have BA Chase Visa Signature cardholders if you travel during 2015.

http://www.britishairways.com/en-us/offers/business-class-flights?source=H01X&hpsource=H01AXBusinessclassto

Many thanks for posting about this sale. Several other airlines matched BA's sale fares, and I managed to book SFO-LHR/BCN-SFO business class 4/27 returning 5/14 all in for $1,824 on United. After sale price?- $4,346. I owe you a drink, or two, or...:D

Tony

I sometimes think the entire travel industry (well, let's start with North America and Europe) would do well to subsidize air travel. I can say with certainty that if air travel were more affordable I would spend much more money on travel than I do now. I would easy spend a few thousand dollars on a vacation in Europe a few times a year, but if it costs $5000 just to get me and my family there and back each time, it's out of the question. I remember the days of $100 flighs from NYC to London.

I sometimes think the entire travel industry (well, let's start with North America and Europe) would do well to subsidize air travel. I can say with certainty that if air travel were more affordable I would spend much more money on travel than I do now. I would easy spend a few thousand dollars on a vacation in Europe a few times a year, but if it costs $5000 just to get me and my family there and back each time, it's out of the question. I remember the days of $100 flighs from NYC to London.
This sentence boggles the economist mind inside my skull.

Can you actually do that for less? I'd consider it!

I was being a bit sarcastic. Transatlantic cruise can be so so cheap but You would have to be somewhere in Europe of a few months before they go back! Unless you take the QM2 from the UK to NYC - still cheaper than flying business class! I am boarding the Celebrity Silhouette next Saturday - Rome to Fort Lauderdale. Cruise was cheap and my one way air JFK to Milan was only $319. Milan is the cheapest city in Europe to fly to from the NYC area.

Edited by twin123185

Is this statement also sarcastic?

I am being quite serious. From JFK and EWR the Milan flights can be quite cheap. United from Newark was half the price of their FCO flight.

There are 4 carriers flying JFK to MXP. Emirates started a price war that hasn't ended. Round trip you can find very cheap often.

You can't say, with any accuracy that, "Milan is the cheapest city to fly to from the NYC area".

It may have been cheapest for you on your dates, but that can't be generalized to all flights on all dates traveling NYC area to Europe.

You can't say, with any accuracy that, "Milan is the cheapest city to fly to from the NYC area".

It may have been cheapest for you on your dates, but that can't be generalized to all flights on all dates traveling NYC area to Europe.

Ok whatever. Every time I have looked for three years it has been so. Every time my son has flown the past 4 years it has been so. My point here is for people to check it out. Just a suggestion.

Actually, when Emirates started flying JFK-MXP a couple of years ago it pretty much brought down prices across the board. While I agree you can't usually generalize, nor am I sure that they are still as aggressive on price as they first were, this is certainly one route that is always worth looking at.

Where do these magical subsidies come from?

Sometimes life is unfair and you just can't do everything. Heck, why can't the aviation industry subsidize the purchase of that Gulfstream 650 I really want...and the cost of crewing, fuel, maintenance, storage whilst I'm at it. I mean, I'd fly a lot more if it cost me the same as taking the bus.

Sometimes life is unfair and you just can't do everything. Heck, why can't the aviation industry subsidize the purchase of that Gulfstream 650 I really want...and the cost of crewing, fuel, maintenance, storage whilst I'm at it. I mean, I'd fly a lot more if it cost me the same as taking the bus.
There's your problem...you asked for a 650. Had you only wanted the 550, it would have been no problem. But noooo....you had to want the newest and best.
Where do these magical subsidies come from?
Check back as the presidential campaign continues. Bernie may have an answer.

:D

Air travel is already heavily subsidized throughout the world. Who do you think bears the majority of costs associated with air traffic control; aviation safety standards, practices, and enforcement; accident investigations; in air security; airport security; airport & runway construction; etc.?

My recollection is that in the age of $100 flights to Europe coffee was 25 cents a cup.

Air travel is already heavily subsidized throughout the world. Who do you think bears the majority of costs associated with air traffic control; aviation safety standards, practices, and enforcement; accident investigations; in air security; airport security; airport & runway construction; etc.?

My recollection is that in the age of $100 flights to Europe coffee was 25 cents a cup.

I would assume the tax payers pay those costs.

The $100 flight to London were in the '80s. I used to fly home from college for holidays and breaks because it cost less than the bus -$25 on PeopleExpress, and you paid on the plane after boarding. You could just pay cash. I'm sure a cup of coffee then was at least .75

I assume when you say you want the "travel industry" to subsidize air travel what you really mean is you want the government to subsidize air travel. Which of course, means that you want to use other people's money to pay for your tickets, right? Get other people to pay more taxes to the government so that the government can use that money to provide YOU with cheaper tickets that allow to have more luxuries (European vacations) in life?? ROFLMAO. It appalls me that you want other people to pay for unnecessary luxuries in your life. :rolleyes:

I assume when you say you want the "travel industry" to subsidize air travel what you really mean is you want the government to subsidize air travel. Which of course, means that you want to use other people's money to pay for your tickets, right? Get other people to pay more taxes to the government so that the government can use that money to provide YOU with cheaper tickets that allow to have more luxuries (European vacations) in life?? ROFLMAO. It appalls me that you want other people to pay for unnecessary luxuries in your life. :rolleyes:

Why would you assume I meant the government when I said "the travel industry?" Your state of appalledness is completely unwarranted, but I guess it gave you a chance to have your little, presumptuous rant.

Edited by CapCrunch

You're doing this all wrong. CapnCrunch's suggestion is so ludicrous that, at its worst it is trolling, the best you can do is respond with parody or pictures like this:

2313281-jackie_chan_images_14807.jpg