Tipping on port excursions??

Cj_wants_to _sail

Caribbean port excursions, if that matters.

I do understand that tipping is based on personal preference, and different people wil have different ideas about what is expected/acceptable. But this is our first time doing port excursions, so don't know how to calculate what is "generally" acceptable.

I'm guessing there will be a driver, then at least one guide, and in one port we will go to a locals house for lunch.....so how do you figure a tip for each person?

A percentage of the cost of the tour divided by the number of people you interact with? A standard rate for a person doing a specific job? Just give a tip to one person who divides it up?

I want to be able to budget and plan ahead of time, so any help will be appreciated.

Yes, you are right, it is a matter of opinion: here is our guide line and I am not saying this is written in stone for us: If it is a whole day or mostly a day tour we usually tip about $5 per person to the guide and less to the driver. If it is a short tour; 2 or so hours, less. We will be taking a glass bottom boat tour in Cabo next week: It is very short, I imagine we will only tip about $5 for both of us. Some tip more and many less. You have to pretty guess on your own. The lunch is included part, I have no idea what to tell you.

Edited by newmexicoNita

I usually tip the driver $5 per person and the tour guide (who should divide it up among the staff, if there is more than just the tour guide) $10 to $20 per person depending on how the tour went and how knowledgeable they were.

I've never done a excursion where there was lunch at a person's house, but I would assume that would be built into the cost of the tour.

Depending on tour length and type of tour, generally $10 to the tour guide and $5 to the driver. That would be for the usually 3 to 4 hour tour. I see many guest get off a tour bus at the end and tip nothing. And yes, sometimes we have visited events on the tour and tipped some there also. Too many variables to have a specific answer. Just do what you feel is deserved/appreciated.

Depends on the tour....if we feel we got more than we paid for, we'll tip. If it's mainly transportation, then no tip.

When we tip, we tip the head person, and let them figure out how to divide it.

We are from New Zealand where tipping is almost never done. We find it very difficult to accept that tipping is the norm.

Then there is the expectation, when we do tip it is usually in a restaurant where the norm from our side is 10%. We have a son-in-law in the trade who says 20%!! When we take the family out for a meal we pay the bill and let him do the tipping!!!

What really got up my nose was a bus tour in Las Vegas. There was a notice that said "This company has an expectation that your gratuity will be 15%". 50 people on the bus paying $80 each meant they expected UDS600 between the driver and guide for a 6 hour day. That is much more than I get in Super for a week.

To tip or not to tip and how much is a personal decision. I do tip in Canada and the US but probably not to the recipients expectation. However I remember being in North Europe and seeing the disdain shown towards North Americans who tipped tour drivers and guides in Denmark and Norway. Their wages were probably more than those of the tippers!!

Mike

Pom by Birth; Retired Coin Collecting Kiwi by Choice.

tipping is always a delicate issue.

I am from Canada and try to do as the locals do.

In restaurants, I will often ask locals what is expected. ( never ask the restaurant staff).

For a tour , I NEVER give percentage of cost, I never give what is "asked" and I never try to compensate for others you have not tipped.

I also never assume that I person would split the tips, unless they say so.

Too many times, people give all the money to guide, but I am not sure that Guide splits with driver.

Therefore, my usuall guideline.

1/2 day tour = $1 per person for driver and $5 per couple for guide

full day = $5 for driver ( if he was good ) and $10 per couple for guide.

(If it is a 50 pax bus, I will take that down a little.)

Also, in your case, for the local, may just want to bring them a little something from home. But they are defiently paid by the tour operator.

Also, in your case, for the local, may just want to bring them a little something from home. But they are defiently paid by the tour operator.

I had forgotten; NZ this year brought out their first ever commemorative coin for general circulation, try finding one in circulation however!!

It was for the 100 Year Commemoration of the Gallipoli Landing.

I have been on two cruises since and took with me a roll of that coin (50c) each time. I have given them to drivers/guides and they have been well received. Even when I haven't tipped, I do explain and it seemed to be accepted; especially in Europe.

I also gave them to other guests we shared a meal with, we always agree when asked "Will you Share", as a souvenir of NZ; they go down well there too.

Mike

It varies greatly depending on the service received. I don't ever think a tip should be expected for mediocre service, nor demanded ever. We went on a cruise excursion that was like a booze cruise, we had planned to tip and had a great time, but at the end they let us know tipping was not only expected but gave us the amount. I totaled it up and they were expecting to EACH earn about 800 on top of what they were paid. Left a really sour taste with us and we tipped less than we had planned.

Generally,private tours we tip about 5-8 a person. Group excursions is around 10 -15 for the three of us. Excursions where they are just providing a non personal ser if (like the ncl excursion to the baths with 200 others) we don't tip. I was a server for 2 years and generally tip 20% for good service, but even as a server I expected to be tipped for how well I did. It irks me to no end that people are tipped in our country for just doing their job she no extra level of service or personal care is provided (taxi driver, barista, porter, etc)

We are from New Zealand where tipping is almost never done. We find it very difficult to accept that tipping is the norm.

Then there is the expectation, when we do tip it is usually in a restaurant where the norm from our side is 10%. We have a son-in-law in the trade who says 20%!! When we take the family out for a meal we pay the bill and let him do the tipping!!!

What really got up my nose was a bus tour in Las Vegas. There was a notice that said "This company has an expectation that your gratuity will be 15%". 50 people on the bus paying $80 each meant they expected UDS600 between the driver and guide for a 6 hour day. That is much more than I get in Super for a week.

To tip or not to tip and how much is a personal decision. I do tip in Canada and the US but probably not to the recipients expectation. However I remember being in North Europe and seeing the disdain shown towards North Americans who tipped tour drivers and guides in Denmark and Norway. Their wages were probably more than those of the tippers!!

Mike

It is a personal thing: being accustom to tipping we did it on a day long bus tour in Canada. I think we may have been the only ones or one of the few that did tip.

In NYC a few years ago, we had a guide that did not hesitate to tell us he expected a tip (almost like your experience in Vegas) because of his comments, we ended up tipping him very little and the bus driver more.

It is a personal thing: being accustom to tipping we did it on a day long bus tour in Canada. I think we may have been the only ones or one of the few that did tip.

In NYC a few years ago, we had a guide that did not hesitate to tell us he expected a tip (almost like your experience in Vegas) because of his comments, we ended up tipping him very little and the bus driver more.

I'm a good tipper, but when someone expects a tip, that is where I draw the line. If there is a sign saying they accept tips, that is one thing, but to verbally say they expect them, that is when I don't tip.

When I go to another country, I do my research and find out what their tipping customs (along with all other customs) are and tip accordingly. I find it so surprising that many who come to countries where tipping is customarily, don't tip. I always say, when in Rome, do as the Romans do.

BTW, according to Canadian tipping etiquette, you were correct in tipping your tour guide in Canada.

I'm a good tipper, but when someone expects a tip, that is where I draw the line. If there is a sign saying they accept tips, that is one thing, but to verbally say they expect them, that is when I don't tip.

When I go to another country, I do my research and find out what their tipping customs (along with all other customs) are and tip accordingly. I find it so surprising that many who come to countries where tipping is customarily, don't tip. I always say, when in Rome, do as the Romans do.

BTW, according to Canadian tipping etiquette, you were correct in tipping your tour guide in Canada.

I maybe don't tip as well as you, but we also, normally try to research, at least some researh. Our daughter, who lives in Orlando says one of the reasons the restaurants in the tourist town in Fl add an auto tip is the number of tourists, especially from other countries, who do not tip at alll or very little.

I maybe don't tip as well as you, but we also, normally try to research, at least some researh. Our daughter, who lives in Orlando says one of the reasons the restaurants in the tourist town in Fl add an auto tip is the number of tourists, especially from other countries, who do not tip at alll or very little.

Some of the buffets in Las Vegas started the auto tip for the same reason.

Thanks for the replies. It will be a learning experience, but now I have some reference to go by.

I don't know if it is just me, but tipping makes me uncomfortable. Adding 20% on to a restaurant tab or leaving a tip in the room for housekeeping is easy, but it feels awkward to give people a few dollars in their hands. Almost insulting. But, that is my hangup, and I guess with time I'll get better at it so I don't feel the need to over tip, even when I really don't think it is warranted.

Thanks for the replies. It will be a learning experience, but now I have some reference to go by.

I don't know if it is just me, but tipping makes me uncomfortable. Adding 20% on to a restaurant tab or leaving a tip in the room for housekeeping is easy, but it feels awkward to give people a few dollars in their hands. Almost insulting. But, that is my hangup, and I guess with time I'll get better at it so I don't feel the need to over tip, even when I really don't think it is warranted.

Don't you tip cab drives? Valets? Bellboys? Porters? Pizza delivery? I always make sure to travel with a lot of small bills.

I think the difference between tipping at home and tipping when on Mexican/Carribean port cruise tours is the difference in income between those at home (US) and these other countries. The employees at home like the tips. These tour company employees need these tips...badly.

Don't you tip cab drives? Valets? Bellboys? Porters? Pizza delivery? I always make sure to travel with a lot of small bills.

I have a car, so don't take cabs. And since I have a car, I pick up my own pizza (true, I do drop $ in the tip jar when I pick it up).

I don't think I have ever stayed in a hotel with a bellboy or valet :eek:

I do tip the porters at the terminal, but yes, it feels awkward.

Guess I lead a sheltered life!

It seems that there is an expectation in the States, and to a lesser extent in Canada, to tip anyone who does anything, however little, for you.

I see tip jars in pop-up food stalls, coffee shops, at food providers in Food Halls and the like. All they do is hand over what you order. What have they really done that affects you in a really meaningful way?

You get a taxi, putting your own luggage in the trunk and getting it out at the other end, what has the driver done for you in a meaningful way that is above driving you from A to B?

A restaurant server can make or break your experience in that restaurant. A housemaid can do the same at a hotel. They deserve a tip if they make your experience better.

I wish that those places who add a compulsory tip would just up the prices and say that they have done that and no tipping is acceptable in their establishment; everyone would know exactly where they stand pricewise.

If you tip because someone has done something for you, especially if it is something that really enhances an experience or provides some advancement, I would ask how much did you tip your child's teacher at the end of the last academic year? $1000, $2000 or even $10,000? They have done more for you than all those people you did tip last year.

As you can see I come from a place where tipping is very uncommon and is treated as being demeaning.

Mike

It seems that there is an expectation in the States, and to a lesser extent in Canada, to tip anyone who does anything, however little, for you.

I see tip jars in pop-up food stalls, coffee shops, at food providers in Food Halls and the like. All they do is hand over what you order. What have they really done that affects you in a really meaningful way?

You get a taxi, putting your own luggage in the trunk and getting it out at the other end, what has the driver done for you in a meaningful way that is above driving you from A to B?

A restaurant server can make or break your experience in that restaurant. A housemaid can do the same at a hotel. They deserve a tip if they make your experience better.

I wish that those places who add a compulsory tip would just up the prices and say that they have done that and no tipping is acceptable in their establishment; everyone would know exactly where they stand pricewise.

If you tip because someone has done something for you, especially if it is something that really enhances an experience or provides some advancement, I would ask how much did you tip your child's teacher at the end of the last academic year? $1000, $2000 or even $10,000? They have done more for you than all those people you did tip last year.

As you can see I come from a place where tipping is very uncommon and is treated as being demeaning.

Mike

Totally agree. Americans are over tippers..not sure why.

Mike

Coming from an area with a huge tipping culture (even tip furniture delivery people), I also always gave my kids' elementary school teachers a $50 gif card twice a year (Christmas and end of the year). If you look up who gets tipped in the US, it's a pretty big list.

Edited by mjkacmom

Coming from an area with a huge tipping culture (even tip furniture delivery people), I also always gave my kids' elementary school teachers a $50 gif card twice a year (Christmas and end of the year). If you look up who gets tipped in the US, it's a pretty big list.

You tip the teachers?

Totally agree. Americans are over tippers..not sure why.

Not sure it's so much that (we) Americans are over-tippers as much as many Americans feel over-entitled. Just become someone put a tip jar on the counter doesn't make me feel I need to put anything into it.

I do tip restaurant servers generously, and give the valet a couple bucks the rare times I use one, but almost never tip any transactional service where I've not asked for anything special beyond their normal job duties.