Classical music onboard?

mookiebomber

I most recently cruised Holland America Line, and they had a quartet onboard, and I enjoyed classical music every night of the cruise. Soon I am cruising for 30+ days onboard the Norwegian Sun, and I was wondering, is there classical music anywhere on the ship?

I most recently cruised Holland America Line, and they had a quartet onboard, and I enjoyed classical music every night of the cruise. Soon I am cruising for 30+ days onboard the Norwegian Sun, and I was wondering, is there classical music anywhere on the ship?

From my personal experience No there is no classical music on board, Holland America is more than older folks Cruise Line. Norwegian is trying to attract a crowd that's not dying off lol.

Earlier this year they had a string quartet playing in the smaller venues quite often. In addition a piano player in Stardust did two shows which included some movie music and some classical modified songs, my favorite being Nutrocker from 50 years ago. If you search it you can hear the Nutcracker in it.

Just off the Dawn, can't speak for the other ships, but there was no classical music played. Mostly island music & pop/hits.

We did enjoy the Gatsby's Champagne Bar the best. They had a piano there and they had a singer almost nightly. He did Eagles covers one night that was awesome! He mainly played older tunes from the 60s-80s. It was nice to get a break from the top 40 hits played around the ship.

From my personal experience No there is no classical music on board, Holland America is more than older folks Cruise Line. Norwegian is trying to attract a crowd that's not dying off lol.

You don't have to be old to enjoy classical music. I think that a string quartet or someone playing classical piano in one of the smaller lounges would be a very welcome break.

The Dawn had a jazz band last summer which I loved.

If you are lucky, Mötley, you'll be there someday too! So, don't be surprised if the young folks snicker when you ask the band if they know any Mötley Crüe songs.

OP, I don't know if you will find any string quartets, but you will find a variety of music throughout the ship, from pianists to guitarists. The Freestyle Daily will list the times and venues for the various musicians daily. Hopefully, like many people, you enjoy a variety of music, even if it is not from your particular era.

You never fail to amaze

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by luvtheships

You don't have to be old to enjoy classical music. I think that a string quartet or someone playing classical piano in one of the smaller lounges would be a very welcome break.

The Dawn had a jazz band last summer which I loved.

Exactly, I'm in my mid-twenties and I prefer classical music over the Caribbean style music in the pool, but that's just me.

Are you unaware that "classical music" has been around for centuries? Do you know how many generations have died off since Beethoven was first heard?

I am finding it increasingly difficult, yet I retain hope that even you might learn to understand something beyond that for which your namesake is known.

My son is 12 and listens mostly to Classical music. But for what it's worth, I'd also be willing to bet that he has more knowledge of classic rock and other popular genres in his finger than you have in your pea brain.

Exactly, I'm in my mid-twenties and I prefer classical music over the Caribbean style music in the pool, but that's just me.

The pool area is supposed to be lovely, I enjoy some classical music every now and then but it's definitely not lively. When you're in the Caribbean Caribbean music makes sense

One of the more recent freestyle dailies of the sun I found is available here:

http://**********/a/HErvP

For example one day they had "Mozart Tribute with the Amber Strings" 45 minutes in the Atrium. If I remember correctly from the cruises I have taken classical music is more done in the afternoon, early evenings for a short session.

This is directed to the OP -my DH and I were on the Breakaway this past September.

I do not think that you will find much similarity of that ship to a HAL experience.

Definitely apples compared to oranges!

We happened to speak with an officer of the ship who noticed that my husband was wearing a Princess Cruises tee shirt.

He asked about our cruising experience and what we thought of the Breakaway.

We honestly told him that we thought Princess was a better fit for us,but we chose the Breakaway so that we could sail to Bermuda from NYC - our home port.

He told us that NCL was focusing on a younger age group and also young families because us Baby Boomers had x amount of years ahead to continue cruising.

I hope you enjoy your cruise.

It is always good to try something new-it helps keep our minds open !

This is directed to the OP -my DH and I were on the Breakaway this past September.

I do not think that you will find much similarity of that ship to a HAL experience.

Definitely apples compared to oranges!

We happened to speak with an officer of the ship who noticed that my husband was wearing a Princess Cruises tee shirt.

He asked about our cruising experience and what we thought of the Breakaway.

We honestly told him that we thought Princess was a better fit for us,but we chose the Breakaway so that we could sail to Bermuda from NYC - our home port.

He told us that NCL was focusing on a younger age group and also young families because us Baby Boomers had x amount of years ahead to continue cruising.

I hope you enjoy your cruise.

It is always good to try something new-it helps keep our minds open !

As a male in my mid-twenties I think NCL fits my style greatly. The only things that I will for sure miss are the classical music onboard, and dressing up. I love formal nights, ever since I cruised as a little one the formal nights were the best for me. Cruising used to be so luxurious and exclusive, that's why dressing up used to be great.

We were on the Sun for the very last Alaska 7 day in September. They had the Amber Strings quartet onboard and they were very nice. I don't know if the quartet is leaving before the Sun starts SA, but I imagine they'd have another one come in. There was quite a bit of live music onboard. In addition to the Amber Strings, there were two rock bands, a piano player (Beau Tahana--he's pretty great) a jazz band and an acoustic guitar player. Not bad for a small ship!

Jen

One of the more recent freestyle dailies of the sun I found is available here:

http://**********/a/HErvP

For example one day they had "Mozart Tribute with the Amber Strings" 45 minutes in the Atrium. If I remember correctly from the cruises I have taken classical music is more done in the afternoon, early evenings for a short session.

micm, this is beautiful I see a Vivaldi tribute one day, and the Amber strings playing throughout the cruise. I wish they are onboard on that 31 day cruise I'm about to take!

Thanks for the link

micm, this is beautiful I see a Vivaldi tribute one day, and the Amber strings playing throughout the cruise. I wish they are onboard on that 31 day cruise I'm about to take!

Thanks for the link

As we are probably on the same cruise, in 15 days, I would rather prefer having a different kind of band but each to his own :)

The piano players are doing a good job most of the time.

As a male in my mid-twenties I think NCL fits my style greatly. The only things that I will for sure miss are the classical music onboard, and dressing up. I love formal nights, ever since I cruised as a little one the formal nights were the best for me. Cruising used to be so luxurious and exclusive, that's why dressing up used to be great.

you can still dress up - some people dress up every night, others just on dress up or not night, and others not at all. I like the fact cruising is becoming less formal, as its not everyones cup of tea - its why I like freestyle NCL - anything goes as long as its not too casual in the posher restaurants.