Empress Returning to RCCL?

Piepkorn

My parents are aboard Serenade right now, and the loyalty ambassador told them the news about Empress. She said (for what it's worth :rolleyes:) that the plan for Empress is Cuba and, possibly, Panama Canal. I don't know out of what port, but thought I would pass it on as at least partial confirmation of the speculation.

My parents are aboard Serenade right now, and the loyalty ambassador told them the news about Empress. She said (for what it's worth :rolleyes:) that the plan for Empress is Cuba and, possibly, Panama Canal. I don't know out of what port, but thought I would pass it on as at least partial confirmation of the speculation.

Typically staff on board ships are the last to know the details of ship deployments, even the Loyalty Ambassadors. So I take this report from the LA with a large grain of salt.

When Royal puts out the itinerary, everyone will know. If is is for early 2016, it should be out soon.

Typically staff on board ships are the last to know the details of ship deployments, even the Loyalty Ambassadors. So I take this report from the LA with a large grain of salt.

When Royal puts out the itinerary, everyone will know. If is is for early 2016, it should be out soon.

I'm surprised you don't know yet

I have relatives on the same cruise. I asked them to ask the LA about Empress. They did on Tuesday and got a resounding "huh?" as a response.

Just off Enchantment. When I asked future cruise lady about Empress, she acted like she never heard of it. Then I said my wife heard on Freedom that she was going to be doing Cuba. Her face lit up and then said, well we were told it's not official, but that is the scuttlebutt around the company, but they were told to keep it to themselves

Just off Enchantment. When I asked future cruise lady about Empress, she acted like she never heard of it. Then I said my wife heard on Freedom that she was going to be doing Cuba. Her face lit up and then said, well we were told it's not official, but that is the scuttlebutt around the company, but they were told to keep it to themselves

And the Concierge on the Liberty states it's going to Austraila & New Zealand ?? Lol. After 30+years of cruising with about 95 voyages completed, imho it all pure speculation at this point.

Pullmantur now published a revised schedule on the Spanish website for summer 2016 with Monarch taking over the Norwegian Fjord cruises from Empress but also with some revised Baltic cruises still on Empress during the same time in June/July. Monarch can not do both, strange....

As someone who's been away from RC for a few years, I'm really hoping that this happens. We never got the chance to cruise on Empress, before she left the fleet. We were docked right next to her once -- in Cozumel. Compared to Navigator, she was tiny -- but elegant. I'm hoping that RC will put her to good use, maybe sailing some "boutique" itineraries, where the big ships just can't go. Will be watching for the release of her 2016 sailing information! :cool:

I have a bias and that is spending part of each year in Los Angeles as a scaled down test of the West Coast market.

Cost of operating at a profit on this ship is lower than the biggies.

I would LOVE that! Especially if they included some north-bound Pacific Coastal routes in the summer -- and not just have her sailing to Mexico, year-round (like RC has done with past West-Coast home-ports). :cool:

Edited by wwcruisers

I don't know what RCI is waiting for, if they don't release the Empress's schedule soon, not many will be sailing in "Spring 2016" like they are advertising.

If the plan is to do Cuba they have to get government approval. So that may be what they are waiting for.

I have a bias and that is spending part of each year in Los Angeles as a scaled down test of the West Coast market.

Cost of operating at a profit on this ship is lower than the biggies.

Why would you think that? It has been mentioned several times that the bigger, newer ships have a much lower operating cost per passenger with considerable more revenue options.

I don't think Empress will be sailing yet Spring 2016. I saw a press release where she will have an extensive dry dock beginning Spring 2016. So perhaps it will be May or June before she's ready for guests.

I don't think anything is really official yet, to be honest (I'm sure Royal knows, but the info I've seen is somewhat contradicting on the dates). I guess we'll find out soon enough.

I wouldn't be able to sail on her until Nov/Dec 2016 anyway, so I'm still excited! :)

Edited by OfTheSeasCruiser

There are plenty of people who will book it even last minute at the right price.

Yes, and those "many people" probably live near you in Florida, a short drive to the ship, and can take 2 days off of work and just go. Living in Maryland, I cannot do that. Many cannot do that. Unless you live within close distance of the port, it becomes impossible to book last minute, unless you have some sort of free flight rewards program, which again, the practical cruiser does not have.