Jewel and hurricane

Patsfans

They should be pretty ahead of the storm. The hurricane is not expected to make landfall in PV until this afternoon. I was looking at the bow cam for the Jewel earlier this morning and all looked relatively calm, although they could be experiencing some winds and rougher waters depending on how for north they are (didn't check on that). I know that was the case for me last year while cruising and Hurricane Odile was heading towards PV and we were near Cabo at the time.

Edited by CAnative1

I was just reading about this storm. It is being compared to a 15-20 mile wide EF5 tornado. :eek:

http://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-news/tropical-threat-heightens-risk/53016886

I heard on the news that they are expecting 40 foot waves. Did that through the Drake Passage on a small expedition ship and it is not something I would want to do again.

I looked up the current location of the Jewel and it is well out of the way of the path of the hurricane. In fact, comparing the current location to a satellite weather map of the area, they are under totally sunny skies. There may be some larger-than-normal ocean swells making for a slightly rocky ride, but that's about it. Plus, it is heading north... back to Los Angeles... so with every passing minute they are getting further and further away from the storm.

Nothing to worry about on the Jewel, as far as I can tell.

I heard on the news that they are expecting 40 foot waves. Did that through the Drake Passage on a small expedition ship and it is not something I would want to do again.

I agree!!! We did it in January when we had go to open ocean to avoid an ice-blocked channel south of the Antarctic circle - too much ice in the water to put out stabilizers! Everything in our cabin slid from one side to the other!!! I sure hope the Jewel and Sun are out of it.

Looks like the Jewel is just west of the tip of Baja California with a sunny but slightly breezy day. They'll get a tail wind push from Patricia but that's about it. Patricia is heading, or will be heading, northeast. Jewel is going north northwest.

We've ridden the Jewel in a hurricane. She can handle it, but looks like there won't be too much to handle. Not to worry.