Dinner Appetizers in Lido Restaurant

Mrs. Walkinman

No Small Plates or sharing plates. Just no Headers in between categories. . It was pretty obvious as they start off with the Apps then list the Soups then Salads and then the Entrees which consistently appeared to start off with a Pasta dish, etc. The Dessert menu was separate and brought, as usual, after the meal. At end of the Night's choices they had the "Daily Item" offerings such as Steak, Chicken, etc.

We found there were plenty of choices in each Category and they always had the Caesar as well as the Onion Soup except one of the Gala/Formal Nights. The only disappointing night, for us, was the last night because even though we enjoy the Brie in Phyllo, etc. we felt the Entrees fell short!

Overall, we enjoyed everything and thought the food was very good. We never left hungry!

Thanks for the answer about the menu format.

We were surprised at the limited menu on Gala nights. On our second Gala night, my husband was told the "always available" items weren't available. Like you we've been disappointed in the menu on the last night. I stopped booking the Neptune for the last night when they got rid of the Master Chef dinner, but I'm beginning to think I'll go back to that strategy.

I don't know if this will help or not, but I reached out to our vast network of spies (3 to 5 people, at least one of whom is named Kyle.) The MDR menu uses a new format and doesn't follow the old presentation style of appetizers, soups, salads, main courses, and desserts. The Lido dinner menu follows the same, new format. The MDR and Lido dinner menus are basically the same, but the headings follow the new format.

In essence, there's not really a separate and distinct "appetizer" section on either the Lido or the MDR menus. The menu items are still there, but the presentation is different from the way things used to be.

So, I guess that it's either, "Yay, progress!" or "Boo! Gosh darn these young whipper snappers and their new fangled terminologies." (FWIW, I'm in the latter camp; proud old f@rt that I am.)

I'm assuming the Oosterdam has not caught up with this new format yet because the menus were still clearly categorized between the courses.

We had the new format MDR menu (and Lido menu) on the Veendam recently. Here is a photo of the MDR menu. I did not take any of the Lido menu, but I remember looking at a couple, and they had pretty much the same dishes as the MDR, with a few exceptions (like no lobsters in the Lido). I did not actually go through the Lido at dinner time, so I don't know if/how the appetizers were displayed. The dishes from the Starters*Soups*Salads section came in the MDR as normal individual MDR appetizer size, not as large sharing plate size.

14Oct15%20dinner%20menu_zpsmjnzxsjc.jpg

Dave

Edited by RetiredMustang

One of the things I like to do is stroll through the Lido before our MDR dinners. It gives me a little preview of what the dishes look like, if I'm undecided on the menu. I hope that the offerings between the two are still the same.

Been on over 30 sailings and never done this... that's a dam (pun intended) good idea!!

Edited by InTheWASide

Been on over 30 sailings and never done this... that's a dam (pun intended) good idea!!

Yes, it is a good idea. Perhaps when they get that intranet not-an-app thing going, they'll post photos of that night's dinner offerings. I've done the ship tour, and they had photos of entrees posted on a wall in the kitchen, so such photos are available.

Yes, it is a good idea. Perhaps when they get that intranet not-an-app thing going, they'll post photos of that night's dinner offerings. I've done the ship tour, and they had photos of entrees posted on a wall in the kitchen, so such photos are available.

That's a really good idea. And while the food is almost always guaranteed to not look EXACTLY like the picture (does it ever? anywhere?) it would give folks a great idea AND in some cases may even push them to a specialty venue... so it may even help their bottom line if they don't take intentionally crappy photos :)

Thanks for the info. Hopefully someone will post a menu soon. So are the appetizers now served with the main dishes in the Lido?

I will be on the Oosterdam on Nov 16 and will be scanning every possible menu as is my normal practice. That means Lido, MDR, Kids, Bars, Specialty Restaurants, Room Service, and Room Service Breakfast menus will be available within a week of my return, if not sooner.

Here is a photograph of the subject images for soups, salads, entrees, and desserts, posted in the kitchen and used as plating guides:

img_0672.jpg

I'm not sure that the electronic versions are available on board but posting them as a dinner preview on your stateroom TV would be a great idea.

Here is a photograph of the subject images for soups, salads, entrees, and desserts, posted in the kitchen and used as plating guides:

img_0672.jpg

I'm not sure that the electronic versions are available on board but posting them as a dinner preview on your stateroom TV would be a great idea.

That picture is making me hungry!!!

You guy leave no mystery to the meal! At McDonald's I can get pictures of the food (if I ate there). ;)

You guy leave no mystery to the meal! At McDonald's I can get pictures of the food (if I ate there). ;)

I have a really strong need to know. I blame it on my father, who used to call home at lunch to ask my mother what she was making for dinner. He needed to "set his stomach."

Mystery is not always a good thing. I had enough "mystery meals" on Queen of the West (Columbia/Snake river cruise) to last me a lifetime. Whoever wrote the menus and whoever cooked the food didn't have much in common. The food itself wasn't bad, but the names and descriptions had very little to do with what we were actually served.

We cruised several times with good friends. I was the one in the group who would stop by the MDR to read the posted menu. The others never wanted me to tell them. But that was OK. I could "set my stomach" and I was happy.

I have a really strong need to know. I blame it on my father, who used to call home at lunch to ask my mother what she was making for dinner. He needed to "set his stomach."

<snip>

My DH really liked my cooking and called everyday to ask what was for dinner. If I answered we're having pork tenderloin (or whatever), I'd get a call later asking what we were having with it. :D :D I can hardly remember a day he didn't call to ask.

My DH really liked my cooking and called everyday to ask what was for dinner. If I answered we're having pork tenderloin (or whatever), I'd get a call later asking what we were having with it. :D :D I can hardly remember a day he didn't call to ask.

That is such a wonderful memory. :)