Spa Mini Suite Epic

scottie99

We are on Epic currently in a Spa Mini Suite 14114. I thought this gave us entry to the Spa, but when I went 'exploring ' on first day, I was told a weeks pass was $149 ( could have been 129, can't just remember).

Right now cant work out why we paid extra over a standard mini suite as there seems to be no advantage !

Yes, your spa access was included in your mini suite price. Someone must have not known you were in a spa suite.

Stateroom #: 14114

Category: Category M9 - Spa Mini-Suite with Balcony

Description: Spa Mini-Suites can accommodate up to three guests. They feature two lower beds that convert into a queen-size bed, a sitting area, luxury bath with shower, additional bedding to accommodate one more guest and soothing spa decor. You'll also receive private key-card access to the spa stateroom complex, entry to the Mandara Spa experience and the fitness center, and complimentary access to the Thermal Spa Suites. Not to mention the private balcony with an amazing view.

Edited by Sauer-kraut

Something has definitely gone wrong here, I don't know if you asked the wrong person in the spa or didn't make it clear which cabin you were in, or if there was some other sort of misunderstanding, but you certainly have access to the spa included with your cabin category.

You have now missed out on using the spa during the one sea day of your itinerary, and I would be absolutely furious about this if it was the fault of the spa staff for turning me away after I told them which cabin I was in.

Something has definitely gone wrong here, I don't know if you asked the wrong person in the spa or didn't make it clear which cabin you were in, or if there was some other sort of misunderstanding, but you certainly have access to the spa included with your cabin category.

You have now missed out on using the spa during the one sea day of your itinerary, and I would be absolutely furious about this if it was the fault of the spa staff for turning me away after I told them which cabin I was in.

I think some kind of compensation is due you!

Thanks for your replies and sorry for the delay in getting back to you.

Armed with the certainty of your replies I went back to the Spa Supervisor and explained 2 of her staff had told me I had to pay $149 for access. She agreed that was a mistake and offered a jar of body scrub as compensation for losing over 2 days of Spa access!

I told her that was unacceptable and the approached Guest Services to complain.

Long story short, they gave us $50 credit. Personally I didn't think it was enough, but I was on a cruise to relax, not to fight a battle.

The other point was they refused to give our friends the same credit ( I had passed on the same mis-information to them). I was told the manageress would call them to discuss, but she never did

Long story short, they gave us $50 credit. Personally I didn't think it was enough, but I was on a cruise to relax, not to fight a battle.

$50 each, or total? It's always difficult to know how much compensation is appropriate, and I understand not wanting to cause yourself any more stress over it. Were you still able to enjoy the spa after all that? I hope so!

Just wondering.....did anyone book "guarantee"....and get assigned a spa cabin? If so. You wouldn't be entitled to the spa. Otherwise, the spa should know the cabins that are included.

A massage per day lost should have been offered if they didn't want to give OBC.

Edited by MsTabbyKats

Just wondering.....did anyone book "guarantee"....and get assigned a spa cabin? If so. You wouldn't be entitled to the spa.
Has this happened to you before? It sounds wrong to me, like saying if you book a GTY oceanview and they assign you a balcony, they lock the balcony door and don't let you use it.

Has this happened to you before? It sounds wrong to me, like saying if you book a GTY oceanview and they assign you a balcony, they lock the balcony door and don't let you use it.

Not the same thing....

If you book a guarantee mini suite and they assign you a Spa Mini Suite...you get the cabin, whatever comes inside the cabin (toiletries)....but not access to the spa.

It didn't happen to me....but others who had booked guarantees got spa cabins...didn't get the use of the spa.

Just to add....the spa is owned and operated independently. Financially, it's not part of NCL. They must get part of the fare paid when someone books a spa cabin....but nothing if someone books a guarantee.

Edited by MsTabbyKats

Then it would be like being assigned a Haven suite (from a GTY mini-suite for example), but then they say you are not allowed to spend time in the Haven courtyard, or use the Haven restaurant, or ask the concierge for anything…

If it happened to someone, it happened. But I can't see how they can justify refusing someone the facilities and amenities included with their stateroom category, whether they are physically located in the stateroom or elsewhere.

I understand your point about the spa being operated by a different company, and that may be true, but the agreement between that company and NCL is none of the customer's business, and NCL is responsible for everything from the customer's point of view. For example, the front desk compensated the OP in this thread, they didn't say "go get your money back from the spa, they operate independently from NCL".

Edited by hawkeyetlse

$50 each, or total? It's always difficult to know how much compensation is appropriate, and I understand not wanting to cause yourself any more stress over it. Were you still able to enjoy the spa after all that? I hope so!

They gave us $50 in total and to answer the other question, we booked specific Spa cabins.

The other point about the Spa not been owned by NCL is interesting. On arrival I set off to explore the Spa, but was approached by two different staff members trying hard to sell the $149 package. I explained I had a Spa cabin and expected access to be included.

One lad (don't know his name but he told me he came from Newcastle, England, if that identifies him?), specifically told me, 'that Spa cabins used to come with access but it is all chargeable now' followed up with,' can I sign you up for the package?'

The point of booking a spa is to use the spa.

Overgeneralization. We booked H9 on Getaway because it was the cheapest suite available - I don't think either of us used the spa facilities once, I'm sure I didn't.

Edited by Demonyte

One lad (don't know his name but he told me he came from Newcastle, England, if that identifies him?), specifically told me, 'that Spa cabins used to come with access but it is all chargeable now' followed up with,' can I sign you up for the package?'

Very troubling… What could possibly have led this young man to say such a thing? He would have to be incredibly dim to misunderstand the rules so thoroughly, otherwise there was/is something more sinister going on…

I am very curious to see for myself when I board the Epic!

Edited by hawkeyetlse

Very troubling… What could possibly have led this young man to say such a thing? He would have to be incredibly dim to misunderstand the rules so thoroughly, otherwise there was/is something more sinister going on…

I am very curious to see for myself when I board the Epic!

Probably a hard sell from a dumb salesperson, at any cost. Might cost him his job in the long run, wouldn't worry about what the spa company brings on board as staff. Amazed to hear about a male. Hilarious trash, try #steinergirls on Instagram.. Came across that hashtag whilst researching Escape.. :)

They gave us $50 in total and to answer the other question, we booked specific Spa cabins.

The other point about the Spa not been owned by NCL is interesting. On arrival I set off to explore the Spa, but was approached by two different staff members trying hard to sell the $149 package. I explained I had a Spa cabin and expected access to be included.

I would send an email to NCL corporate asking for a refund of the difference between the spa cabin price and the regular cabin price. When they deny this request, I would charge back that amount with your credit card company.

We are on Epic currently in a Spa Mini Suite 14114. I thought this gave us entry to the Spa, but when I went 'exploring ' on first day, I was told a weeks pass was $149 ( could have been 129, can't just remember).

We were in a spa minisuite on the Epic about a year ago. When we got to the room, there were two spa bracelets in our welcome package which we used to gain access to the thermal suite.

The spa works for the hotel director. Take a few minutes to write him a note and put it in the drop box at guest services or get the manager on duty to accept it. Firmly demand additional compensation. When NCL destroyed my suitcase, each time I escalated to a more senior officer in Guest Services, I got more OBC. And a letter to NCL upon my return got me full compensation for the bag.

I would send an email to NCL corporate asking for a refund of the difference between the spa cabin price and the regular cabin price.
But they didn't completely lose the benefit of their spa cabin. The OP says they lost "over 2 days" of spa access out of a 7-day cruise, and while this included a sea day, it also included embarkation day, when the spa opens late anyway. So let's round it down and say they had spa access for half of their cruise.

The spa pass costs $149, so it seems to me an acceptable compensation would be half that, or $75 per person. In addition to the $50 already received on board, which was basically "please go away now" money.

But then… one must also take into account that they were humiliated by the spa staff and treated dismissively by guest services, and that the entire ordeal left them feeling unwelcome in the spa even after they were finally granted access. This absolutely ruined their cruise, it goes without saying, and the emotional effects continue to this day. To this day.

Some would not hesitate to demand a full refund of the cruise, and then some. But for that, you have to make a YouTube video. :p

• 4 months later...

I have just signed up for a Spa Cabin on the Epic. The Website very specifically states you get access, so I will be very upset if they even try to pull something to tell me that I would have to pay extra

I certainly hope that this was an anomaly

We have cruised twice on the Epic since this thread was started, used the spa both times, and there was no sign of any lad from Newcastle on staff. There were no lads at the spa desk at all, as far as I remember. I wonder if the OP was a victim of an unscrupulous employee at the end of their contract with nothing to lose, intentionally screwing over the passengers and the company.

There was a guy from Newcastle when we were on board in Nov '15. He wasn't on the Spa desk he was in the gym & tried very hard to sell us some sort of fitness/health package which was on top of the spa access