Princess Security Screening

Shogun

screening passenger more I see as uncessary...cruise lines have for some time hired underwater scubba divers to check out what is going on under water ... that is where cruise lines have more risk... some even hired ex Israelies as part of their security teams... so I think Cruise lines are on top of security issues.

screening passenger more I see as uncessary...cruise lines have for some time hired underwater scubba divers to check out what is going on under water ... that is where cruise lines have more risk... some even hired ex Israelies as part of their security teams... so I think Cruise lines are on top of security issues.

Well, everybody to their own thoughts. I suspect, however, that the passengers from the recent Russian flight in the Sinai Desert crash might not agree with your thoughts on screening passengers.

Tom

With the strange people that are walking around the world today, who knows what someone might do with a sword? Why would anybody want to bring a weapon on board a cruise ship in the first place?

Tom

Well. There was no sword.[emoji53]

Well, everybody to their own thoughts. I suspect, however, that the passengers from the recent Russian flight in the Sinai Desert crash might not agree with your thoughts on screening passengers.

Tom

I totally agree Tom.

The more security the better in my opinion.:)

Several cruise lines have stepped up screening for detection of prohibited articles....mainly to stem the tide of smuggled alcohol. Anecdotal reports here on CC indicate that there has been considerable success in this effort.

We recently sailed with RCCL, and at the time I was wearing a somewhat larger than normal men's watch. This set off alarms at the airport, which was easily explained away to the TSA screeners.

So I get to the cruise terminal and once again my watch initiated the security system alarms. Well before I even had 2 seconds to demonstrate what triggered the alarm, the local "rent-a-cop" pushed me aside and was so thorough in frisking me he knew more about my physical make up than my Proctologist. I believe this guy was a frustrated wannabe cop, who just couldn't make the grade. icon8.gif

The intrusive nature of this type of physical search was well above and beyond any necessary security screening, and the cruise lines need to train their screeners to be a little more sensitive to the personal feelings of their passengers.

Edited by Grimsby

Hi All

Princess does a good job of finding metal objects in luggage, I travel with a

sgian dubh, so sometimes I find a label saying sgian dubh enclosed, or

sometimes I have to open case on deck 4, security area.

My interest in security was triggered by a comment from an expect on tv

saying we are all prepared for traditional threats, but what about bio hazards, gas etc,

Do not think there is much chance of a bomb sinking a cruise ship, but what

about an attack on the water supply or air con system. If on a TA crossing

we could be days from assistance.

yours Shogun

First of all, if you're carrying a dagger, you're actually part of the problem. No weapons means no weapons.

Secondly, if you're so worried about terrorist attacks on the ship's water/ac, then best to just stay home. A passenger is more likely to be killed on the drive to the airport. TV experts are just fear-mongering.

The intrusive nature of this type of physical search was well above and beyond any necessary security screening, and the cruise lines need to train their screeners to be a little more sensitive to the personal feelings of their passengers.

The securty screeners are not cruise line employees and are, I believe, employees of the port involved, not the cruise line. That said, it would probably be most effective if someone "goes overboard" in the performance of their duties that any complaint be filed in writing with the company doing the passenger processing and with copies sent to the cruise line as well as the applicable port authority. That way, everybody knows exactly who has a copy of the complaint. If such a situation occurs on a recurring basis, something might get resolved. Otherwise, only one entity ever hears about the complaint and nothing will ever get done to solve the root problem.

Tom

The most intrusive frisk I've ever had was st Schiphol Airport in Amsterdam. I, in my 40's and my mother-in-law near 80 were frisked (randomly?) and they left no body part untouched. And this was BEFORE 9/11. We hardly looked like a pair of dangerous people. I laugh about it now but I did feel quite a bit put off by their thoroughness. Now if I were to be frisked this way today, I just might be flattered. :D

Im sorry you were inconvenienced, but I think the security staff was doing their job. If it looked suspicious they were right to call you down to check things out. Would you have rather had them go into your luggage without you being present?

If they were doing their job, "framer" would have been notified within an hour or so, not 30+ hours later.

Airport (and cruise port) screenings do not look for and cannot find many items that can be used as weapons.

o No check is made of every pill brought through security to make sure none are cyanide tablets. Just add water once on board.

o A DVD/CD can have part of an edge made razor sharp. No check is made to be sure every DVD/CD is actually a regular DVD/CD.

o Any glass object can be broken to become a sharp weapon. You can bring glass objects on board.

o Razor blades are still allowed on ships.

o A condom can be used to choke someone. Still allowed on airplanes and ships. Same for shoe laces.

o Guns made of plastic are possible these days. The individual parts do not look dangerous. Just assemble it once on board.

On the other hand, the easiest way to get something past airport security is to have a bottle of water in your carryon. They will be so excited about detecting your dangerous bottle of water they will not notice what else you might have with you.

TSA security checks are a joke. Sometimes they set up a secondary check for random people at the gate. This tells me that either they are admitting the primary check is useless or that they think checking every 10th passenger will catch the person who might have some contraband.

Some non-USA airports put every connecting passenger through security berfore they can board the connecting flight. (LHR is like this. Be sure to allow at least one extra hour for that line.)

I remember a couple of past airplane hijackings.

In one, the passenger handed the stewardess a grenade pin and said he had the rest of the grenade. Easy to get a grenade pin through security. Airplane crew must decide whether or not to believe the rest of the grenade exists.

In another, someone brought two pots on board a plane and then tied them together and said it was a bomb. Crew had to take him seriously.

Hi rdsqrl,

Who is carrying a dagger,

a dagger would be a dirk, which I do not take, again the one I would bring

would be a dress on which means no sharp edges.

Remember the cruise lines have no issues with sgian dubh,

often the bag is tagged as having a sgian dubh in it,

the one I bring is again a dress one,

now if I wanted a weapon I would just take a steak knife from the crown grill.

yours Shogun

Hi All

Two items that I have been stopped and checked for carrying at airports

have been a bar of soap and a block of fudge, the reason being these show up

on x ray machines, can look same as explosives, when I then went onto the ship

no issues.

So if an issue at the airport why not at the port.

yours Shogun

Hi All

Interesting to see the flights out of Sharm, to UK are not being allowed hand luggage.

yours Shogun

Not quite right Shogun, I am just watching the BBC news and they can ONLY have hand luggage. Their checked in luggage will be brought back on special flights with no passengers on board later.

Hi josy1953

Me bad watched ITV, would trust BBC to be correct.

yours Shogun

I got so fed up of ITV getting things wrong that I only watch BBC news now. I really feel for the people stuck out there not knowing when they will get out, though I just saw that the first flights are now in the air. It is worrying that our government think that someone with security clearance at Sharm planted a bomb in the hold of the Russian plane. I will stick to cruising.

Airport (and cruise port) screenings do not look for and cannot find many items that can be used as weapons.

o No check is made of every pill brought through security to make sure none are cyanide tablets. Just add water once on board.

o A DVD/CD can have part of an edge made razor sharp. No check is made to be sure every DVD/CD is actually a regular DVD/CD.

o Any glass object can be broken to become a sharp weapon. You can bring glass objects on board.

o Razor blades are still allowed on ships.

o A condom can be used to choke someone. Still allowed on airplanes and ships. Same for shoe laces.

o Guns made of plastic are possible these days. The individual parts do not look dangerous. Just assemble it once on board.

On the other hand, the easiest way to get something past airport security is to have a bottle of water in your carryon. They will be so excited about detecting your dangerous bottle of water they will not notice what else you might have with you.

TSA security checks are a joke. Sometimes they set up a secondary check for random people at the gate. This tells me that either they are admitting the primary check is useless or that they think checking every 10th passenger will catch the person who might have some contraband.

Some non-USA airports put every connecting passenger through security berfore they can board the connecting flight. (LHR is like this. Be sure to allow at least one extra hour for that line.)

I remember a couple of past airplane hijackings.

In one, the passenger handed the stewardess a grenade pin and said he had the rest of the grenade. Easy to get a grenade pin through security. Airplane crew must decide whether or not to believe the rest of the grenade exists.

In another, someone brought two pots on board a plane and then tied them together and said it was a bomb. Crew had to take him seriously.

And there are practical limits to every security measure. To eliminate every possible thing that could be used to kill someone you would have to eliminte all carry-ons and clothing. This discussion has now devolved into ridiculousness.

Tom

And there are practical limits to every security measure. To eliminate every possible thing that could be used to kill someone you would have to eliminte all carry-ons and clothing.

Tom

Fully agree with you Pierlesscruisers. This is why

It's all a show.

Kabuki

I got sent to the naughty room.......

What really upset me was I had to put a lost bag claim in to find out the bag was being held in security. It was missing for 30+ hours.

IMHO all they care about is booze, everything else is secondary.

framer

I'm curious... 30 hours??? Did the bag have a Princess luggage tag attached??? I agree that their main concern is alcohol, not a security issue but a marketing one! Why not end this discrimination!!! If it's sold or rented on board you can't bring your own!!! Cigarettes, perfume, cologne, razors, make up, books, tablets/smartphones - any electronic devices!!! Have I made my point?

I'm curious... 30 hours??? Did the bag have a Princess luggage tag attached??? I agree that their main concern is alcohol, not a security issue but a marketing one! Why not end this discrimination!!! If it's sold or rented on board you can't bring your own!!! Cigarettes, perfume, cologne, razors, make up, books, tablets/smartphones - any electronic devices!!! Have I made my point?

What???