Which is the Best Credit Card to Carry?

I have been told that credit cards are often better than cash in Northern Europe and Scandinavia.

Which credit card is best to have: MasterCard or Visa?

I have a bank, by the way that will charge me very little (1% or less) for conversion regardless of the card I carry.

Thanks for you insight and assistance.

Both, in case you lose one or have it stopped. But if it's one or the other, it makes no difference - they are the two universally accepted cards. I've never known a place accept one but not the other.

Excellent answer. And not just because that what we do. It's common sense.

I found VISA much more widely accepted than Mastercard. I took American Express also, and was able to use this at larger businesses with no problems. Of course you need to be sure you have a card with a chip (not just a magnetic strip) and you may want to get a PIN number too. Some places needed me to enter my PIN, others did not.

Actually, the big factor for us is which credit card company gives the best exchange rate. Most will charge the exchange rate plus other international fees. We usually travel out of the US with a capital one credit card because they gave the least international fees and good exchange rate.

Keep in mind that you need credit cards AND ATM or debit cards for cash.

CREDIT CARD is used for purchases NOT currency. Visa is well accepted and MasterCard just a bit less in some countries. You will need to let the bank know that you are planning to travel to foreign countries and the dates of travel -- they will then allow the charges without your account being closed down. When I notify of travel, I ask for any fees that will be charged and the exchange transaction rate (usually 1-3% and 1 % is better) -- they do change and they do change names of the fees. Different accounts have different rules -- so you might even check again to make sure the information is the same. Just saying. I have learned to notify the bank issuing the credit card early when I am making deposits on rooms or tours or the deposit will not go through to the foreign travel provider). (Stopped the deposit on hotel and "froze" account because of "fraud possibility" -- tell them first before deposit and less hassle.)

Debit or ATM cards are the cards you use for getting cash for use in the country's currency that you are visiting. Most in Europe want a chip and pin number but US banks for the most part are just switching and only offer chip and signature card. They are usually honored in foreign countries but be careful using them in machines where no human is there to help (toll booths and gas stations have been mentioned most). KNOW from the bank how much they charge for each transaction. You will also probably be paying a fee to the bank that owns the machine (ATM) . No way to avoid fees but you can find the cheaper options. You can find banks that honor your VISA or Master debit cards by going to the web site and entering country you are visiting. There are several systems for processing the transactions (PLUS and Cirrus are examples) and your card has to match the one that the ATM uses. This is not a huge problem as it was 10 + years ago but be aware and try another bank brand if your card is rejected. Make sure that you have 'plumped" up the account that the debit card is attached to as the withdrawals are just as fast as they are if you are using your local ATM!:eek:

Do not use a credit card for spending money! It comes with large fees and starts interest accruing on EVERY purchase of the credit cycle. It is a CASH ADVANCE and not a withdrawal.

For my personal use traveling with husband we carry: 2 visas credit cards -- these are on 2 different banks or issuers (Example Chase Sapphire and Capital One Venture Card!) and we each have a separate card on the account. We also carry 1 MasterCard World credit card on another bank . We also carry debit ATM cards on Bank A and Bank B and both are branded Visa Signature Cards.

Credit cards have high credit lines because if you have to get home you need enough credit to buy walk up tickets and possibly pay hospital or other bills in cash. The Bank A and Bank B have extra money in the account just for the trip time -- available but please don't spend it all! We also carry cash in US dollars and depending on the country have almost all in smaller bills as you can't get US $ change.

This possibly sounds too much but we have had some weird stories to tell. One country (Tanzania several years ago) listed an ATM in the city we visited but NOT REALLY -- the town did not have electricity to run it! Spain seemed to use a bank processor that did not match anything we had -- talked a bank teller into doing a withdrawal manually. Chile you have to enter the ATM card in the outside door to get to the machines and it did not recognize our cards. Japan the only bank that worked for US cards was 7/11 store ATM's -- learned that tid bit on CC and thus no problem as 7/11 are everywhere but I don't usually bank there:D PS Don't rely on cruise ship ATM in lobby -- they do not usually have an adequate supply of local currency and seem to always have a sign that says "out of order" You might be luckier than I.

Edited by Bowie MeMe

Of course – both. You shall have at least two cards with you. We’ve been to Baltic this summer and used both Mastaer Card and Visa and had no problems except one day in Tallinn when my Visa didn’t work. I don’t know why, I just used another card. On the other day in St. Petersburg Visa worked perfectly.

Don’t forget to call the bank let them know that you are traveling to foreign countries and the exact dates. Otherwise your account could be blocked.

Good luck! Jess :)

• 2 weeks later...

We asked Best Guides about this before our trip, and the answer was Visa or Master Card. No American Express. (We do not use American Express anyway, but this was the answer.)

We used my Visa card but mostly to withdraw cash. Everybody seemed to be so happy to get cash, that we simply didn't want to disappoint them. Also if you wanted to pay by card you had to pay a commission.

I found VISA much more widely accepted than Mastercard. .

That surprises me.

I've found that every outlet which accepts plastic will accept both visa and mastercard.

It's Amex & Diner's that have limited acceptability, especially in smaller outlets.

But like Jess we've very very occasionally found that a card will not work, for whatever reason (most recently one blocked while we were in the US until we e-mailed to confirm some recent transactions).

That's just one of the reasons for carrying at least two cards.

Perhaps you mean the same thing - both Visa & M/C acceptable, but your M/C card problematic.

JB :)