Tenders on Holland

forwardho

One of our stops for an upcoming cruise is Gaspe. It is a tender port. How does Holland work the order in which you can leave the ship.? I am planning to have an excursion with a private company not Holland. How many passengers does a tender usually hold?

Shore excursion guests usually go first or at least are among the first, depending upon the tour that they booked.

Other guests will usually be given a tender ticket and wait in the main lounge until their number is called. Arriving as early as possible to get a ticket is smart if you have your own plans.

Tenders may hold around 100 people, I suppose. They are not packed as tightly as they would be if being used as a lifeboat.

One of our stops for an upcoming cruise is Gaspe. It is a tender port. How does Holland work the order in which you can leave the ship.? I am planning to have an excursion with a private company not Holland. How many passengers does a tender usually hold?

They are loaded with 80, 90 max pax on routine tender ops

Other guests will usually be given a tender ticket and wait in the main lounge until their number is called. Arriving as early as possible to get a ticket is smart if you have your own plans.

Neptune Suite passengers and 4 & 5 Star Mariners benefit from priority tenders. No need to get a ticket. Just follow the crowd getting off, get in line, and get on the next available tender.

IIRC, Gaspe is a short tender ride, so service should be reasonably fast. As rkacruiser said, HAL tours tend to get first tenders.

An important thing to remember about tender tickets is that when you arrive at the lounge to get your ticket, you must be ready to go--have whatever you're taking ashore with you and everyone going with you is present. You must stay in the lounge or showroom where they give out the tickets in order to hear when you're called. They will not announce ticket numbers all over the ship.

IIRC, Gaspe is a short tender ride, so service should be reasonably fast. As rkacruiser said, HAL tours tend to get first tenders.

An important thing to remember about tender tickets is that when you arrive at the lounge to get your ticket, you must be ready to go--have whatever you're taking ashore with you and everyone going with you is present. You must stay in the lounge or showroom where they give out the tickets in order to hear when you're called. They will not announce ticket numbers all over the ship.

I don't know whether that has changed or varies by ship, but on the Maasdam in September they did announce it in all of the public areas.

Geez Louise, does HAL do ANYTHING the same on all of their ships? We had to wait in the Showroom on Veendam, both in September and in Bermuda 4 or 5 years ago. They told us not to leave because we wouldn't hear the announcement anywhere else.

We were in Gaspe on Maasdam a few years ago and I don't remember for certain how they handled it.

Geez Louise, does HAL do ANYTHING the same on all of their ships? We had to wait in the Showroom on Veendam, both in September and in Bermuda 4 or 5 years ago. They told us not to leave because we wouldn't hear the announcement anywhere else.

We were in Gaspe on Maasdam a few years ago and I don't remember for certain how they handled it.

No they don't.;) And the ships don't do the same thing all the time either.:p

When we were on the Prinsendam for St. Malo, we had to wait in the show room for the tenders to be announced. No announcement over the PA. On the previous P'dam cruise that was not the case - go figure

No they don't.;) And the ships don't do the same thing all the time either.:p

Just as how tours are begun or 'loaded', it must be up to the shore ex manager or some other individual as they all seem to have their favorite method. Probably one of the few things where they do not have to 'check with Seattle'!

Just as how tours are begun or 'loaded', it must be up to the shore ex manager or some other individual as they all seem to have their favorite method. Probably one of the few things where they do not have to 'check with Seattle'!

I wonder how many things really have to be "checked with Seattle." Blaming someone or some entity not present is a way to make a problem go away.

The lack of consistency of what to expect from the guest's perspective is my #1 complaint with today's HAL.