How to get an early embarkation slot?

marylizcat

I have been reading about how they are enforcing check-in times now. I suppose the time allocated must relate to your cabin position? So have people worked out how this goes? I am thinking I could take it into consideration when picking a cabin number if it will get us an earlier slot. Do they start at the top or the bottom of the ship?

I have been reading about how they are enforcing check-in times now. I suppose the time allocated must relate to your cabin position? So have people worked out how this goes? I am thinking I could take it into consideration when picking a cabin number if it will get us an earlier slot. Do they start at the top or the bottom of the ship?

No. I have only seen one list posted about 3 weeks ago and that was for Britannia. I cannot find it now but it was fairly random. Eg. G B D A E C F or something like that. Clearly it will be different for each ship.

Suite or mini suite will guarantee you will be first onboard???

Anything else position wise as Dai says is in the lap of the gods.

Have to say when I pick a cabin I look at ,is there anything blocking the view, is it above/below anywhere noisy etc.

I never pick one based on ,can I get onboard earlier. That is a 3/4 hour slot you are talking about, against a possible 7/14 day cruise in a cabin that is very noisy, but you got into it earlier.

Suite or mini suite will guarantee you will be first onboard???

Anything else position wise as Dai says is in the lap of the gods.

Have to say when I pick a cabin I look at ,is there anything blocking the view, is it above/below anywhere noisy etc.

I never pick one based on ,can I get onboard earlier. That is a 3/4 hour slot you are talking about, against a possible 7/14 day cruise in a cabin that is very noisy, but you got into it earlier.

Yes, of course, I thought it went without saying that one considers those issues too. I am asking because embarkation time could be another factor to take into consideration. Thought that would be clear! If it is indeed in the lap of the gods, then obviously it won't be a factor....

Yes, of course, I thought it went without saying that one considers those issues too. I am asking because embarkation time could be another factor to take into consideration. Thought that would be clear! If it is indeed in the lap of the gods, then obviously it won't be a factor....

As long as I get on board I don't worry about what the time is.

No. I have only seen one list posted about 3 weeks ago and that was for Britannia. I cannot find it now but it was fairly random. Eg. G B D A E C F or something like that. Clearly it will be different for each ship.

Thanks very much for your response, Dai. (A straight answer to a simple question, which was all I wanted!).

I am sorry you seem slighty upset by my reply. I was wondering if you were seriously asking. So yes it was clear, but I could not think that would be one of the parameters in your cabin choice.

I think from everything that people have posted there is no rhyme nor reason as to what order they board in.

As I (jokingly) said the only ones to guarantee early boarding are suites/mini suites.

Well as Caribbean & Baltic cannot check in before 1300 and suites and Ligurian etc can do 12.30 that puts things into better perspective! Bang goes arriving at 11.30 as some obviously did. Everybody else will obviously be 1300 or later. I'm like Shallwe, don't care as long as get on board. What difference does an hour or two make? Or might some miss a meal and keel over with hunger?! LOL

Well as Caribbean & Baltic cannot check in before 1300 and suites and Ligurian etc can do 12.30 that puts things into better perspective! Bang goes arriving at 11.30 as some obviously did. Everybody else will obviously be 1300 or later. I'm like Shallwe, don't care as long as get on board. What difference does an hour or two make? Or might some miss a meal and keel over with hunger?! LOL

For all those worried about missing their "free" lunch due to late arrival times, the latest revised procedures now posted on the P & O website confirm that lunch will be served up until sailaway. So stop fretting.

For all those worried about missing their "free" lunch due to late arrival times, the latest revised procedures now posted on the P & O website confirm that lunch will be served up until sailaway. So stop fretting.

"but I want my lunch at lunch time" :)

Lots of people are happy to sit and wait without the expectation of boarding early, I don't think that's unfair to anyone and isn't about lunch (well not always [emoji6])

Lots of people are happy to sit and wait without the expectation of boarding early, I don't think that's unfair to anyone and isn't about lunch (well not always [emoji6])

I am one of those people Florry - I care not whether I get lunch or not - more often than not I don't eat lunch anyway and I think some who want to insist this is the reason for arriving early are using it as a side-swipe.

I think wanting lunch is a pathetic reason for wanting to arrive early. A clear distinction between arriving early and being able to or expect to board early are quite different! I would happily be the last person to embark but I do still want to be at the port in good time and will therefore build in time for delays on the journey - and subject to no delays, arrive early! (And happily wait!)

I am more concerned about the 2 night cruise I have booked as if I get a late embarkation it takes a chunk of the 1st day away. So no fretting about missing lunch just want my full 2 days on board.:eek:

Well, certainly I don't want my lunch at four followed by first sitting dinner!

We come by train and would not want to risk missing the sailing, so with a late boarding time, we would have to sit for several hours waiting and eating our sandwiches. Not the end of the world, but if there was a way of avoiding it, it would be a bonus.

Clearly, by boarding everybody later, P & O is cost saving, as far fewer people will be eating their lunch. Having lunch on the first day was one advantage P&O had over Fred Olsen who always board in the afternoons. Seems like P&O have decided to follow their example.

It is a shame they cannot organise embarkation better. We cruised on Anthem this summer and their system is brilliant. You choose your embarkation slot when you do online check-in. They start much earlier, at 11.15 I think it was, and you just walk straight on with no waiting at all.

And you are only driving from Dorset?? How early do you leave from there. We leave deepest darkest Devon at about 9 or 9.30.

For a recent QE cruise, with our taxi's delay in picking us up (traffic delays) and rolling traffic jams most of the way to Southampton we arrived an hour and a half later than we would have done had our potential 45 minute journey been incident free. What time do you recommend we set out for a 3.30 embarkation time?

Well, certainly I don't want my lunch at four followed by first sitting dinner!

We come by train and would not want to risk missing the sailing, so with a late boarding time, we would have to sit for several hours waiting and eating our sandwiches. Not the end of the world, but if there was a way of avoiding it, it would be a bonus.

Clearly, by boarding everybody later, P & O is cost saving, as far fewer people will be eating their lunch. Having lunch on the first day was one advantage P&O had over Fred Olsen who always board in the afternoons. Seems like P&O have decided to follow their example.

It is a shame they cannot organise embarkation better. We cruised on Anthem this summer and their system is brilliant. You choose your embarkation slot when you do online check-in. They start much earlier, at 11.15 I think it was, and you just walk straight on with no waiting at all.

Interesting how folk are champing at the bit to get on board and, at the end of the cruise, doing just the same to get off.

You must be crazy to think that P&O are holding back on embarkation times in order to save money. It takes time to get the ship ready after the previous and final passengers have disembarked only an hour or so before, then process 3000 people while at the same time, ensure that 'our' security is maintained. Having done 114 cruises I am confident that P&O have their passengers interest completely at heart. If you book into a smart hotel, it is common that you cannot have access to your room until 2pm. Why, because they want you to have the right 'whole' experience and it takes time to achieve that.

Nobody likes to wait to board, but that is why you are given a time slot regardless of your journey to the port, it's the same for us. If you want to arrive early then a wait is to be expected and enjoy your sandwich.

Think if you feel that having to queue 'cause you arrived early is not your bag, then best go back to the brilliant Anthem. Ummm not me.

Vicky

What with this thread ,the other thread, and faceache, I am totally and utterly gobsmacked with all the upset this appears to have caused, and the reasons being given why people have to arrive early.

If Anthem was soo much better,please go with them. If Celebrity was so much better, please go with them, but not in formal attire.

For all everyone knows the ships may have been told they cannot have so many people turning up at once, and once they have seen how it works with P and O, the other lines may have to follow suit.

What will all the people in prams and toys do then???

It is peoples choice as to what time they arrive...just because they have decided there may be leaves on the line, or traffic q's across the whole country...their choice, does not mean Pando has to do boarding to suit THEM.