Splendor fire

SuzieQK

We are currently on the Spendor eastern cruise. Last night while watching the 8:15 show VROOM it was interrupted with an announcement from the captain an emergency was taking place. They tried to restart the show but the shows crew was running around placing towels in an upper section of the theatre. The cruise director came to the front of the stage to say the show was cancelled. Another announcement came on from the captain that a small fire was taking place in the engine room, but that it was being handled. We went back to our cabin to wait. About 45 minutes later the Captain came on to say that the situation was assessed and that the fire was small fire was put out and all was well. So much for Friday the 13th! We are now on our last sea day heading back to Miami.

We had a minor smoke/fire incident on the Breeze on Halloween night, they did an excellent job informing us, keeping us updated and letting us know that everything and everyone was safe and okay. Matt and the Captain were fantastic during the really minor incident.

Fires happen a lot on ships its just normal, many times we don't even know about them but the fire crew about these cruise ships are the finest you can get. On the Valor this past may we had two fires probably the same issue but it happened a day apart from one another.

We are currently on the Spendor eastern cruise. Last night while watching the 8:15 show VROOM it was interrupted with an announcement from the captain an emergency was taking place. They tried to restart the show but the shows crew was running around placing towels in an upper section of the theatre. The cruise director came to the front of the stage to say the show was cancelled. Another announcement came on from the captain that a small fire was taking place in the engine room, but that it was being handled. We went back to our cabin to wait. About 45 minutes later the Captain came on to say that the situation was assessed and that the fire was small fire was put out and all was well. So much for Friday the 13th! We are now on our last sea day heading back to Miami.

I was on there too! We were finishing dinner when we heard the medical emergency then about the containment of the fire. When we got to the comedy club, they told us it was just a lot of smoke. Did you notice the smell of like burnt chemicals that night? Then, we believe, there was a type of air freshener pumped through the vents. My allergies were kicking!

It also backed into another ship and the captain had a medical emergency. He had just replaced the previous captain who was on vacation, and the previous captain had to take over. If I remember correctly, he was still on the ship, just not on duty. I had cruised on the splendor the previous week, and we had to miss ports due to a hurricane!

27926-profile.png

Copyofth_Carnival-VIFP-Platinum_zps41db4d4e1_zps02e438c7.jpgI still cruise for Warm Chocolate Melting Cake (with 2 sugar free ice creams), lobster, and Creme brulee!

It also backed into another ship and the captain had a medical emergency. He had just replaced the previous captain who was on vacation, and the previous captain had to take over. If I remember correctly, he was still on the ship, just not on duty. I had cruised on the splendor the previous week, and we had to miss ports due to a hurricane!

When was the incident of the ship backing into another ship and the Captain having a medical emergency?

So, I am a little confused.

1. Was the fire in the theater or in the engine room?

2. If in the engine room, why was theater staff placing towels in areas of the theater?

I would have thought that the engine room was below the theater. I'll be on deck 2 in just a few weeks. Hope all is OK.

Fire was in the engine room which set off sprinklers in the theatre as well as some halls. Deck 3 stairwell sprinkler was bursting the next morning......

Very strange, and a little disturbing for several points:

1. Engine room is about 3 fires zones separated from the theater, and a fire in any one fire zone would not affect sprinklers in another zone.

2. Engine room Hi-Fog fire suppression water mist system is completely separate from the sprinkler system in the non-engine room spaces, so again, the sprinklers in the theater should not have activated.

3. Sprinkler systems can be either wet or dry, depending on whether the piping is full of water at all times or not. If wet, the only sprinklers that should release are those where the fusible element melts out from high temperature (fire), so a fire in the engine room shouldn't affect wet sprinklers in the theater. If it is a dry system (not sure these are allowed onboard), then every sprinkler in a space like the theater should start to flow, not just a few, and this would require either a failure of a smoke/fire sensor releasing the sprinklers, or an incorrect manual release by the bridge crew.

I went back and reviewed the investigation report of the Splendor fire in 2009, to review the equipment onboard. I'm afraid this shows some either equipment failures or operational failures of the emergency systems on the Splendor, similar to those that contributed to the severity of the 2009 fire, and which were supposed to be addressed by the new maritime compliance department formed after the Triumph fire.

Very strange, and a little disturbing for several points:

1. Engine room is about 3 fires zones separated from the theater, and a fire in any one fire zone would not affect sprinklers in another zone.

2. Engine room Hi-Fog fire suppression water mist system is completely separate from the sprinkler system in the non-engine room spaces, so again, the sprinklers in the theater should not have activated.

3. Sprinkler systems can be either wet or dry, depending on whether the piping is full of water at all times or not. If wet, the only sprinklers that should release are those where the fusible element melts out from high temperature (fire), so a fire in the engine room shouldn't affect wet sprinklers in the theater. If it is a dry system (not sure these are allowed onboard), then every sprinkler in a space like the theater should start to flow, not just a few, and this would require either a failure of a smoke/fire sensor releasing the sprinklers, or an incorrect manual release by the bridge crew.

I went back and reviewed the investigation report of the Splendor fire in 2009, to review the equipment onboard. I'm afraid this shows some either equipment failures or operational failures of the emergency systems on the Splendor, similar to those that contributed to the severity of the 2009 fire, and which were supposed to be addressed by the new maritime compliance department formed after the Triumph fire.

Not sure of technicalities of the sprinkler system, but it seems you do and you may have a point.

All I know is that evening I smelled a chemical in the air then some fresh air fragrance come through the air vents. Then I woke early the next morning, 6AM, decided to go to the gym, and saw some fire crew walking around then witnessed the sprinkler squirting away on the 3rd floor stairwell.

I think if it was that bad of a fire they would have made us report to the muster stations. Honestly I was not too concerned.

Not sure of technicalities of the sprinkler system, but it seems you do and you may have a point.

All I know is that evening I smelled a chemical in the air then some fresh air fragrance come through the air vents. Then I woke early the next morning, 6AM, decided to go to the gym, and saw some fire crew walking around then witnessed the sprinkler squirting away on the 3rd floor stairwell.

I think if it was that bad of a fire they would have made us report to the muster stations. Honestly I was not too concerned.

I think you're right about this particular fire not being too serious, but it worries me that there appears to be systemic failures of equipment, training, and procedures in the wake of the previous Splendor and Triumph fires. I really thought Carnival was being pro-active in addressing corporate systemic failures.

I think you're right about this particular fire not being too serious, but it worries me that there appears to be systemic failures of equipment, training, and procedures in the wake of the previous Splendor and Triumph fires. I really thought Carnival was being pro-active in addressing corporate systemic failures.

I'm not sure what systemic failure in training has occured. Seems like any recent incident that we have heard about has resulted in little to no issues with cruise operation.

Edited by jh2360