Passport Needed?

jacs1970

I am thinking on taking an Alaskan cruise/land tour next year. The only ones I can find either start in Vancouver, Canada or end there. I will have to fly to or from either way. Do I need a passport to do this or will an ID and BC together work?:cool:

I am thinking on taking an Alaskan cruise/land tour next year. The only ones I can find either start in Vancouver, Canada or end there. I will have to fly to or from either way. Do I need a passport to do this or will an ID and BC together work?:cool:

Must have a passport to get on a flight from the US to Canada/Canada to the US.

Edited by Texas Tillie

Passport or GEOS (Nexus in Canada) will work . Keep in mind that is card doesn't work on the US/Canada border in Skagway . Passport is the still the best.

To the best of my knowledge (and I've been wrong before) the application process for Global Entry requires already having a passport. Texas Tillie is correct that a US citizen boarding a flight in the US going to Canada must produce a passport.

Global Entry would simply expedite the process when flying back to the US.

To the best of my knowledge (and I've been wrong before) the application process for Global Entry requires already having a passport. Texas Tillie is correct that a US citizen boarding a flight in the US going to Canada must produce a passport.

Global Entry would simply expedite the process when flying back to the US.

You can get a Global entry without a passport. Nexus ( the Canadian version) doesn't require a passport . We get our Nexus card thru the Global Entry site.

Passport recommended but not required.

To answer the OP's question without confusing the matter with Global Entry permit --

For a US citizen to fly to Canada requires a passport.

For a US citizen to do a land crossing into Canada requires either a passport book or a Western Hemisphere passport card.

If a US citizen is going to take Skagway's White Pass/Yukon train to Canada, a passport is required.

Edited by NMLady

To answer the OP's question without confusing the matter with Global Entry permit --

For a US citizen to fly to Canada requires a passport.

For a US citizen to do a land crossing into Canada requires either a passport book or a Western Hemisphere passport card.

If a US citizen is going to take Skagway's White Pass/Yukon train to Canada, a passport or the aforementioned passport card is required.

see booked addition. The passport card is good for land or sea crossing to adjacent islands and contiguous countries. The White Pass train is a land crossing to a contiguous country.

Jacs, because you intend to fly to or from Canada, you need a full passport book.

Edited by cherylandtk

see booked addition. The passport card is good for land or sea crossing to adjacent islands and contiguous countries. The White Pass train is a land crossing to a contiguous country. ... .

I stand corrected. I should have said that if a US citizen is going to take the White Pass/Yukon train to Canada they need a passport book OR passport card.

I stand corrected. I should have said that if a US citizen is going to take the White Pass/Yukon train to Canada they need a passport book OR passport card.

OR an Enhanced Drivers License if your state offers it. These are not the same thing as a papssport card. They are valid for land and sea crossings to Canada and Mexico, they are not valid for air travels.

Jim

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

I would get the passport.

If something happened and you needed to get home quickly, your passport helps you to get home faster.

You have plenty of time to get one.

You didn't read the original post closely enough- the OP will absolutely need a passport since they will need to fly either to or from Canada;).

In spite of what others claim you will REQUIRE a passport to fly into Vancouver or home from Vancouver if you are flying into the US. All of the other cards that are mentioned DO NOT work for flights.

ID and BC will NOT work.

A passport book is the gold standard. No questions about what's acceptable if you have that.

(Some countries require visas but that is a topic for another thread. Canada does not require a visa for American passport holders)

Contrary to another comment, Nexus and Global Entry are not the same program. They are separate programs all together but they do offer some mutual accommodations.

Get a passport. You shouldn't consider traveling outside the U.S. without one.

Contrary to another comment, Nexus and Global Entry are not the same program. They are separate programs all together but they do offer some mutual accommodations.

Get a passport. You shouldn't consider traveling outside the U.S. without one.

Nexus is the Canadian version of Global entry.

Nexus is the Canadian version of Global entry.

Understood. Just not the same thing as was intimated.

NEXUS

The NEXUS program allows pre-screened travelers expedited processing when entering the United States and Canada. Program members use dedicated processing lanes at designated northern border ports of entry, NEXUS kiosks when entering Canada by air and Global Entry kiosks when entering the United States via Canadian Preclearance airports. NEXUS members also receive expedited processing at marine reporting locations.

Nexus won't help a U.S. citizen re-entering the U.S. from any country other than Canada. Global Entry also is a qualifier for programs operated by other countries like Mexico and the Netherlands. Still have to apply to those programs and jump through their hoops but Global Entry is the qualifier. For people who travel on business, this is a big advantage.