Help deciding FLL hotel

Tkristop

Please help me decide which hotel to stay at for one night pre cruise in Fort Lauderdale. I have some points that I am going to cash in for a room. I really would like to have something nice since it will be my travel companion's first time to the area.

Here are my options:

W Ft Lauderdale

Westin

Atlantic Hotel and Spa

Marriott Beach Place Towers

Sonesta

Pelican Grand Beach Resort

Courtyard by Marriott FL Beach

B Ocean FL

Sun Tower

Which one would you choose and why? Are there any you would avoid and why? I've read reviews on all but really want the cruisers' perspectives. Thanks so much!

I do not see any hotels on your list that are the most frequently used ones by cruisers. So, please tell us what you are looking for in a hotel and location.

You might want to start by researching the hotel's location for yourself. As a point of reference, the north entry point to the piers is just south of 17th and Eisenhower (near the convention center).

Thanks for your response. The locations of those I listed I assume were Ok--we will just take a taxis for dinner and to the port. But, I didn't know if the pelican was too far north? I was thinking we would just walk around the beach/las olas and have dinner somewhere that night. Most of those listed were on the beach because I thought that might be nice, but I'm open to suggestions.

Edited by Tkristop

We stayed at the Courtyard back in September 2013 (two nights before our cruise leaving from MIA, wanted to sightsee). I liked it. Beach is right across the street, and lots of stuff within walking distance. There was a restaurant we saw that we wanted to try but didn't get to. I think the name is H2O or something. It was white w/ blue accents. They had a patio area overlooking the sidewalk and beach. The food that folks had looked good to me!

My first choice would be the W. We stayed there 3 nights precruise and really enjoyed the hotel and the location. Second choice would be the Marriott Beach Place primarily because of its location right across street from beach and with a Bubba Gumps below the hotel.

B would be off my list. Older rooms spread out among three buildings, some not near beach. Look a bit further north . Marriott beach place is around lots of action and good beach is. Lots depends on what you want.

Edited by eandj

I take it your list is in most-to-least order of required points. If you have enough points are are willing to use them just start at the top: The W is as nice as it gets being directly across from the beach in the middle of the classic Spring Break zone. Lots of bars and restaurants of wide-ranging style and price close by.

Please help me decide which hotel to stay at for one night pre cruise in Fort Lauderdale. I have some points that I am going to cash in for a room. I really would like to have something nice since it will be my travel companion's first time to the area.

Here are my options:

W Ft Lauderdale

Westin

Atlantic Hotel and Spa

Marriott Beach Place Towers

Sonesta

Pelican Grand Beach Resort

Courtyard by Marriott FL Beach

B Ocean FL

Sun Tower

Which one would you choose and why? Are there any you would avoid and why? I've read reviews on all but really want the cruisers' perspectives. Thanks so much!

By a wide margin, The W Hotel.

Next would be:

Atlantic Hotel

The Pelican

Westin (only if it is the one on the beach)

Marriott Beach Towers

Courtyard FLL Beach

The reason most cruisers on this forum don't talk about those hotels is because they are out of their budgets.

My first choice would be the W. We stayed there 3 nights precruise and really enjoyed the hotel and the location. Second choice would be the Marriott Beach Place primarily because of its location right across street from beach and with a Bubba Gumps below the hotel.

The CYM and the Marriott Beach are two different hotels. The MB is usually more expensive. The CYM has the Bubba Gumps. We stayed at CYM and dined at Bubba's two weeks ago.

Thank you so much for the responses. I just booked a "fabulous room" at the W..whatever that means. It says oceanfront balcony floors 6-16 so sounds nice. Now to figure out dinner plans and such....

Ocean Front means there is a big 4-lane road in between you and the ocean. Be sure to look at Google Earth to understand the location. The W is a good choice for being walking distance to the night life and beach.

If being on the beach is the first priority, I woold look at Largo Mar or the Grand Pelligan.

Thank you so much for the responses. I just booked a "fabulous room" at the W..whatever that means. It says oceanfront balcony floors 6-16 so sounds nice. Now to figure out dinner plans and such....

They ARE fabulous! I love Steak 954 in the hotel but what kind of food are you looking for?

Ocean Front means there is a big 4-lane road in between you and the ocean. Be sure to look at Google Earth to understand the location.

This is untrue. While there is a four lane road in front of the hotel, it is very easy to cross and traffic drives at a snails pace. It isn't a big road at all and there are crosswalks and overwalks everywhere.

The Lago Mar is much further from the ocean due to how far back in sits.

They ARE fabulous! I love Steak 954 in the hotel but what kind of food are you looking for?

This is untrue. While there is a four lane road in front of the hotel, it is very easy to cross and traffic drives at a snails pace. It isn't a big road at all and there are crosswalks and overwalks everywhere.

The Lago Mar is much further from the ocean due to how far back in sits.

What is untrue?

What is untrue?

I'm not BlueHerons but I'm pretty sure she is referring to the fact that A1A is not a 4 lane highway, rather it is four lanes with a manicured median and a 30 mph speed limit (it may actually be 25 but I don't remember) -- and during the high season no one is even going that fast because there are crosswalks on every corner (and pedestrians have the right of way). I love that drive but avoid it like the plague from January through April :D when it is only good for people watching since you are driving so slow.

Steak 954 was one of the options was considering, especially now that we are staying at the W. We like all kinds of food..fine dining to casual. We would like to find a nice elegant bar for drinks first (ritz maybe?) and then go to dinner. What about kaluz? Serafina? Blue moon? Coconuts? Those are ones I've read about so far...any other suggestions for bar or restaurant?

Steak 954 was one of the options was considering, especially now that we are staying at the W. We like all kinds of food..fine dining to casual. We would like to find a nice elegant bar for drinks first (ritz maybe?) and then go to dinner. What about kaluz? Serafina? Blue moon? Coconuts? Those are ones I've read about so far...any other suggestions for bar or restaurant?

The W would have been my first choice too.

My favorite bar in that area is S3 at the Hilton next door. It opens to the outdoors, overlooking the ocean. It isn't quite elegant but it is upscale and trendy. The bar at Ritz Carlton is very nice too, especially for wine and martinis, as is the Living Room bar at the W.

It looks like you are looking for a waterfront view restaurant. Kaluz, Blue Moon, 954 Steak, and Coconuts are great. Coconuts is very casual though, and I have the feeling that you want something nicer. Kaluz is beautiful, the service is good, and it is quite reasonably priced (unless you order the specials). You need reservations everywhere except for Coconuts which doesn't take them (they might put your name down if you call while you're on your way).

Uber is alive and well in Ft Lauderdale and would be a good way to get around. The W also offers complimentary transportation but I'm not sure if Kaluz and Blue Moon are within their distance limits.