Advice on car rental and driving

mina

JB, it is Tintern abbey. However I am going to check out Glastonbury abbey, that sounds even better. Planning on doing the westerly route you provided.

OK. You'll not have time for Tintern if you go to all the places I mentioned on that route, so I suggest you delete Sherborne - sounds like you'd find Tintern

Abbey much more appealing. :)

Last admission time at Tintern Abbey for your date is 4.30pm (closes at 5pm). A half-hour there is probably long enough.

http://cadw.gov.wales/daysout/tinternabbey/visitor-information?lang=en

From Salisbury, set your GPS to High St, Shaftesbury. (journey time 40 minutes)

About 8 miles out of Salisbury, look out for the Fovant Badges, cut into the chalk hillside on your left. Cutting big images (usually white horses) into the chalk is very common in this part of the country but I can't think of any others on the route.

In Shaftesbury, just past the Mitre pub at the far end of the High Street, Gold Hill is thro’ an alleyway on your left. Best known for an iconic TV bread advert

or a later spoof

If you can't find a street parking spot, follow the signs round the corner to the carpark in Bell St. & walk back. (Don't set your GPS for Gold Hill or it'll send you to the blind bottom end).

At the top of Gold Hill, a path to the right takes you about 50 yards to glorious elevated views and to Shaftesbury Abbey. Very little of this abbey survives, another victim of Henry V111's dissolution of the monasteries.

GPS to Glastonbury Tor. (55 minutes). You'll see the Tor (hill) from about 4 miles away, as you cross the Somerset Levels (formerly fens / marshes, drained by the Cistercian monks of Glastonbury Abbey in the 12th/13th C. & now meadows). Just before the Tor you pass the Chalice Well (google it). Also Google for the Tor’s history, but fortunately (;)) you won't have time to climb it so when you get there set your GPS to the abbey, in Magdalene St., Glastonbury. Take a few minutes to also walk round the corner to the High Street - the shops are a mecca for witches, astrologers, druids, psychics, goths, the occult, etc.

BTW, Google is awash with the Glastonbury Festival, the country's biggest music weekend - no worries, it's three weeks later.

GPS to Wells cathedral in Cathedral Green, Wells. (15 minutes) Street parking or signs to the nearest carpark - or just view it from the car, you've already seen Salisbury cathedral.

GPS to Priddy until you're about 3 miles out of Wells then set it to Cheddar (25 mins) - this will ensure that your GPS will take you down the gorge. This is where cheddar cheese originated - the pastures of the Somerset Levels and the cool caves of the gorge mean it's ideal for cheese-making. King Henry 11's patronage started its popularity in the 12th Century.

GPS to Tintern Abbey. (normally 65 minutes). This will take you to the M5 motorway & past Bristol, then the M4 across the River Severn (remember, a £6.50 toll going that way, no toll coming back), then the A466 Wye Valley road.

Earlier in the thread you fretted about traffic levels. In the main, no worries - but because it’s a Sunday afternoon you might find the 20 miles on the M5 a bit slow-going as vacationers head back to London & the Midlands from the West Country, though you'll lose them when you turn onto the M4 toward Wales.

Or locals (Darcy?) might suggest that from Cheddar it’s better to take the A38, past Bristol airport to the Bristol ring road, then the A4 under the Clifton suspension bridge (camera at the ready) to join the M5 only about 5 miles from the M4 junction.

From Cheddar it’s the same route for either Tintern Abbey or Thornbury until you get to that M5 / M4 junction - from there it’s only 20 minutes to Tintern Abbey or 15 minutes to Thornbury. So if you’ve fouled-up your timing you can head to Thornbury and put off Tintern Abbey til next morning.

BTW, in June it's daylight from daft o'clock in the morning til after 9 o'clock in the evening.

JB :)

Edited by John Bull

When we did our road trip, I used http://www.RAC.CO.UK/route.planner/ for a turn by turn back-up plan. JB may have another suggestion, but I found this site to be very helpful in estimating drive time, good maps, fuel consumption, and ultimately having an alternate travel route for when the sat nav decided I needed to drive through a particular village with lots of cameras watching my MPH. No, I didn't receive any tickets in the mail.

Darcy

We've rented cars in several European countries and have always had good experiences.

However, driving in the UK is a challenge! Training your brain to go on the LEFT side is tricky. Making a sign as a reminder is a good idea.

One bit of advice...

Always purchase rental insurance that include TIRE coverage. Many accidents happen because Americans (or those used to driving on the right side) hit the curb or divider in the middle of the road. That causes a blow out. Unless you have the coverage that include tire repair, you will be responsible for the tire replacement.

We learned the hard and expensive way! We rented a Mercedes, and of course the tires are "special" and very costly to replace. Lesson learned!

I also would choose a compact car over a sedan. The roads are very narrow, especially in the Cotswolds during harvest. Huge tractors dominate the road.

We seem to have two Darcys on this thread.

Darcy 15 and WatchHill.

Years since I came across a Darcy, now two have come along at once. ;)

Thanks for the reminder about RAC route-planner.

Years back I used AA route planner, very similar.

Then as Googlemaps added more features like route dragging & street-view I switched.

Because of the appalling "new" googlemaps :eek: I switched to Bing, but that's pretty poor too.

Your reminder means I've added RAC to my favourites :)

I also use maps.me. No routing, etc, but the same zoom detail as the others and the big plus that it can be downloaded onto an I-pad - so we can use it on-the-road without needing an internet or phone signal. Have used it instead of paper maps as a back-up in Europe & the States / Canada.

Mina - breaking "news" from the BBC.

The marketing manager at Glastonbury Abbey has today admitted that King Arthur's grave is (probably) a con to attract tourists.

A con perpetrated by the monks.

Back in the 12th Century.

Well done, the BBC. First with the news as always :D

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-34917890

Edited by John Bull

We've rented cars in several European countries and have always had good experiences.

However, driving in the UK is a challenge! Training your brain to go on the LEFT side is tricky. Making a sign as a reminder is a good idea.

One bit of advice...

Always purchase rental insurance that include TIRE coverage. Many accidents happen because Americans (or those used to driving on the right side) hit the curb or divider in the middle of the road. That causes a blow out. Unless you have the coverage that include tire repair, you will be responsible for the tire replacement.

We learned the hard and expensive way! We rented a Mercedes, and of course the tires are "special" and very costly to replace. Lesson learned!

I also would choose a compact car over a sedan. The roads are very narrow, especially in the Cotswolds during harvest. Huge tractors dominate the road.

bobalink,

We are planning a Wales and England road trip in 2017 for four weeks, with the first week including three persons.

Can you advise us what car would be large enough for three, including three large suitcases and a few hand carrys?

JB, I can not let dh see that news flash. He wants to do Avebury circle because, as he said, "it's real". Since that route will allow more time to get to tintern before it closes, we will probably go that way.

bobalink,

We are planning a Wales and England road trip in 2017 for four weeks, with the first week including three persons.

Can you advise us what car would be large enough for three, including three large suitcases and a few hand carrys?

I would say you want something at least the size of a 5 door Ford Mondeo (5 door means it has a big hatchback to make access to the boot (trunk) easier), or consider an estate (station wagon). I personally have a Mondeo estate and it is cavernous...and actually a bit shorter than the 5 door model!

Simon

JB, I can not let dh see that news flash. He wants to do Avebury circle because, as he said, "it's real". Since that route will allow more time to get to tintern before it closes, we will probably go that way.

We visited Avebury after Stonehenge and were very glad we did so. It seemed like it was about 35 miles from Stonehenge, but through some beautiful countryside. The village has thatched houses and you can go up and touch the stones. Well worth the trip.

bobalink,

I would say you want something at least the size of a 5 door Ford Mondeo (5 door means it has a big hatchback to make access to the boot (trunk) easier), or consider an estate (station wagon). I personally have a Mondeo estate and it is cavernous...and actually a bit shorter than the 5 door model!

Simon

4774Papa, I think sddsddean has a good suggestion. The hatchback should have plenty of room for luggage.

A four-week road trip sounds like fun. Enjoy!

Did you watch the video link?

The "news flash" is centuries-old :D.

Back in about 1200 AD the monks conveniently :rolleyes: "discovered" the tombs of Arthur & Guinevere, because the Abbey had been badly damaged by fire & they needed to boost the numbers of pilgrims to help with repair costs. The authenticity of the graves has always been in significant doubt.

Even King Arthur himself is a legendary figure. Mebbe he existed, mebbe he didn't, mebbe he was an embellishment of a real person - kinda like Robin Hood.

But yes, if you want to take the more -easterly route it's about an hour's less driving time.

From Salisbury to Marlborough you can take either the A345 or A338. No time difference, the A338 is perhaps just a little more attractive.

Do drop into Marlborough for a break at Polly's tea-room in the town's wide main street.

By Act of Parliament, Marlborough has no thatched buildings - decreed after three major fires in the 17th Century, one of them a deliberate torching during the Civil War.

About 5 miles out of Marlborough & only about a mile from Avebury Ring (aka Avebury Henge), ignore any short-cut suggested by your GPS & follow the brown Avebury tourist signs. This will take you past West Kennett Long Barrow and Silbury Hill.

West Kennett Long Barrow is a burial site which pre-dates Stonehenge. But it's about a 15 minute walk from the road (there's a signed layby for parking).

http://www.english-heritage.org.uk/visit/places/west-kennet-long-barrow/

Silbury Hill is a man-made earth hill right alongside the road. It dates from about the same time as Stonehenge. I don't think it's accessible these days.

http://www.thewhitegoddess.co.uk/articles/history/silbury_hill.asp

Like Stonehenge, the original purpose of Silbury Hill is unclear. Mebbe for worship, mebbe for burial, or half-a-dozen other theories put forward by archaeologists.

But I prefer the local legend, which goes something like .....

The Devil had a grudge against the town of Marlborough, and was heading there from Bristol with a huge barrowful full of earth he intended to dump on the town. It was heavy and tiring, and about 5 miles from Marlborough he met a cobbler carrying a load of shoes he was taking for repair. "Is it far to the town of Marlborough?" he asked. The cobbler recognised the Devil and figured his intentions. He replied, "It's a very long way - look, I've worn out all of these shoes walking from there". So the Devil decided to give up, and dumped the earth by the road-side. That's how Marlborough was spared, & how Silbury Hill was formed.

Avebury is much more laid-back and accessible than Stonehenge the road runs right through the Henge. There's a visitor centre of sorts, but no admission charges. A pub, a couple of shops & cafes, but nothing like the visitor numbers of Stonehenge.

Lacock is a tiny but pretty little village - buildings are a mix of half-timbered and stone, very typical of the Cotswolds. Lacock Abbey isn't just ruins like most other abbeys that were destroyed during the dissolution of the monasteries - after the dissolution it was converted to a country house, but retaining most of the original monastic features. So a combination of Lacock & Tintern will give you a very good idea of what monastic life was like.

Castle Combe is very similar to Lacock.

There's a small motor racing circuit just outside the village, but if there's a race meeting same-day there shouldn't be any traffic problems at your time of the day.

Castle Combe is about 33 miles / 50 minutes from Tintern.

Much is on the M4 motorway but any sunday afternoon traffic snarl-ups will be on the opposite carriageway as Londoners return home. :)

bobalink,

When you begin your car rental search, look for a link associated with the specific car you're looking at. Many of the rental agencies will provide details such as number of passengers, how many large and small suit cases, average MPG [it is much more expensive than in the US].

In planning our pre-cruise road trip , DH looked at various cars and decided on a mid-size hatch back. However, when we looked at the car at Hertz, I insisted on a larger one for a couple of reasons. First, I wanted something with a better personal safety history, then I had to consider that a friend would be joining us mid-way and with another person, more luggage and a growing sack of dirty laundry, not to mention the items I was buying, we went for comfort and got the Volvo Estate SUV. Yes, the larger vehicle was a bit more of a challenge on the back roads of Wales, and later onto Cornwall and Devon, but DH agreed it was the right decision for us.

Seems you are concerned about the cost of hotels, quite valid given your plans to spend a month on the road. We used TA for suggestions, then went into the various hotel web sites and thought we did quite well, using both major chains and local hotels. In Wales we had a wonderful stay in Cardigan at the Cliff Hotel - spectacular views, great restaurant. Then as we were on our way back to England we spent the night at a Holiday inn Express in Newport, in a business park right off the motorway. It was much more than I expected and a great value. Excellent pub, Dragon Fly, across the parking lot, too. For some parts of our trip, I joined the hotel's frequent guest program, and as able to upgrade our room or enjoy an extra %age off a multi day stay. While in Wales, do try to take in a steam train ride into the mountains.

Darcy

from the US, not Darcy15 from England ;)