adjusting tips

megann831

Well of course because being forced to do things is the way we are being brainwashed into thinking these days

As an educated Doctor you should understand that freedom of choice is something we must deeply cherish and hold on to at all cost. Even when it comes down to the minuscule in life... Like cruise ship service charges

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I don't believe it's right to take away the dsc, it is my sincere opinion that these people work hard for their tips and no randomly walking up to certain people and tipping them cash does not make up for the people that you will be depriving. I'm not going to call anybody but you pretty much know how I feel lol.

I don't believe it's right to take away the dsc, it is my sincere opinion that these people work hard for their tips and no randomly walking up to certain people and tipping them cash does not make up for the people that you will be depriving. I'm not going to call anybody but you pretty much know how I feel lol.

I will only tip the people who serve me directly. I will also remove the dsc and let the billion dolor corporation pay their behind the scene employees.

I don't remove my dsc btw

But damn if I'm ever going to say dsc should be mandatory

Call me freedom loving.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Not a tip/gratuity !? So I am expected to pay the DSC and tip everyone who gives me service on top of this not inconsiderable sum of my money ?

No Way.

The DSC replaces the old tipping system for specific people on the ship. In the old days, before Freestyle, you had assigned seating for dinner. You received little envelopes to tip the maitre d, head waiter, waiter, and drink waiter that served you in the dining room each night. You received a little envelope to give to the room steward. On the last night, you presented your envelopes personally to each person you were tipping. The last time I was on a cruise with this system I believe the total was somewhere around $11 a day in tips for all these people. That was about 17 years ago.

Today, you pay a flat rate "DSC" which replaces that old system. It has gone up. NCL and the workers seem happy with this system, but many passengers want a complete accounting of where that DSC goes, because they feel that NCL might be exploiting the workers. My ethical values are somewhat different because if I did think NCL was exploiting workers I would never set foot on their ships, not save a few bucks by reducing the DSC. But that's me.

The people you customarily tip today, at the bar, in the spa, and in the specialty restaurants, are purported to NOT be included in the DSC. In the old days, you also tipped these people at time of service. It is customary to tip these people today, and mandatory service charges have been implemented on bar bills and specialty restaurants for the tips there; in the spa and some other venues (kid's clubs, etc.) it is entirely voluntary, but still customary. For the butler and concierge in the suites, you also have an entirely voluntary but customary tip for them.

This is the custom, as it has evolved, and seems to be quite OK with the workers. Large tip income is favorable in certain countries, like the Philippines, where tip income is not reported or taxed, but regular wages are taxed on a progressive scale from 5% to 32%. Paying the Filipino workers in wages instead of tips would cost them a pay decrease from 5% to 32%.

I feel it is unseemly to talk about how much extra we give the poor people while we stiff the company, but many people claim to give hundreds of dollars in cash tips and remove the DSC to punish the company they are supporting with their vacation dollars. NCL still allows this, so I guess that's OK if you want to do that.

I suspect that cruise passengers are in the top 1% of worldwide income earners. At least the top 5%. To see so much time and worry spent here on CC over the matter of an extra $189 for a couple over the course of a week's cruise is astonishing.

"But they also charge .20 more per soda because we are a captive audience!"

OK. Well. Just so.

I feel extremely fortunate on this Thanksgiving that I have my family, my health, and have been blessed enough financially to be able to afford a cruising vacation. Even when I spend over half the average annual world-wide income on my cruise, I know it is entirely a function of just how rich I am in comparison to most of the people in the world. I will be gracious, and thankful.

The DSC replaces the old tipping system for specific people on the ship. In the old days, before Freestyle, you had assigned seating for dinner. You received little envelopes to tip the maitre d, head waiter, waiter, and drink waiter that served you in the dining room each night. You received a little envelope to give to the room steward. On the last night, you presented your envelopes personally to each person you were tipping. The last time I was on a cruise with this system I believe the total was somewhere around $11 a day in tips for all these people. That was about 17 years ago.

Today, you pay a flat rate "DSC" which replaces that old system. It has gone up. NCL and the workers seem happy with this system, but many passengers want a complete accounting of where that DSC goes, because they feel that NCL might be exploiting the workers. My ethical values are somewhat different because if I did think NCL was exploiting workers I would never set foot on their ships, not save a few bucks by reducing the DSC. But that's me.

The people you customarily tip today, at the bar, in the spa, and in the specialty restaurants, are purported to NOT be included in the DSC. In the old days, you also tipped these people at time of service. It is customary to tip these people today, and mandatory service charges have been implemented on bar bills and specialty restaurants for the tips there; in the spa and some other venues (kid's clubs, etc.) it is entirely voluntary, but still customary. For the butler and concierge in the suites, you also have an entirely voluntary but customary tip for them.

This is the custom, as it has evolved, and seems to be quite OK with the workers. Large tip income is favorable in certain countries, like the Philippines, where tip income is not reported or taxed, but regular wages are taxed on a progressive scale from 5% to 32%. Paying the Filipino workers in wages instead of tips would cost them a pay decrease from 5% to 32%.

I feel it is unseemly to talk about how much extra we give the poor people while we stiff the company, but many people claim to give hundreds of dollars in cash tips and remove the DSC to punish the company they are supporting with their vacation dollars. NCL still allows this, so I guess that's OK if you want to do that.

I suspect that cruise passengers are in the top 1% of worldwide income earners. At least the top 5%. To see so much time and worry spent here on CC over the matter of an extra $189 for a couple over the course of a week's cruise is astonishing.

OK. Well. Just so.

I feel extremely fortunate on this Thanksgiving that I have my family, my health, and have been blessed enough financially to be able to afford a cruising vacation. Even when I spend over half the average annual world-wide income on my cruise, I know it is entirely a function of just how rich I am in comparison to most of the people in the world. I will be gracious, and thankful.

That's exactly how I feel, your point was very eloquently put.

OK. Well. Just so.

Thank you for your history lesson on how tipping has evolved on cruise ships over the years.

I have been cruising for over 20 years and have experienced all the customs you outline. I have always given staff what I consider a good tip and become very friendly with many. The NCL system does ensure that a large percentage of passengers reward the service staff. Many times I have seen a large number passengers avoid the dining room on the last night so they didn't, have to give out envelopes.

What I do object to is paying a service charge, DSC, call it you want, imposed AND people on here saying you must give staff extra. I am going on the Epic on Sunday and for 10 nights paying about one hundred and fifty British pounds for myself and my wife for staff gratuities.

This I consider to be enough.

. The last time I was on a cruise with this system I believe the total was somewhere around $11 a day in tips for all these people. That was about 17 years ago.It was $9 per person per day.

many passengers want a complete accounting of where that DSC goes, because they feel that NCL might be exploiting the workers.

Not exploiting at all. just not distributing the full amount they collect.

My ethical values are somewhat different because if I did think NCL was exploiting workers I would never set foot on their ships, not save a few bucks by reducing the DSC.

Not exploiting at all. just not distributing the full amount they collect. My ethical value requires I tip the crew that actually serves me.

For the butler and concierge in the suites, you also have an entirely voluntary but customary tip for them.

Only if you use them.

I read all the time how people have saved for years and they are not rich. In order to be in the top 1% to 5% in the USA you need at least five million dollars. With that kind of wealth I'd be on a more luxious cruise line that was all inclusive.

I feel extremely fortunate on this Thanksgiving that I have my family, my health, and have been blessed enough financially to be able to afford a cruising vacation. .

I'm not blessed to be financially able to cruise, I'm smart enough to manage my money appropriately and not waste it. I am in control which eliminates this blessed nonsense.

Edited by cruzsnooze

What I do object to is paying a service charge, DSC, call it you want, imposed AND people on here saying you must give staff extra. I am going on the Epic on Sunday and for 10 nights paying about one hundred and fifty British pounds for myself and my wife for staff gratuities.

This I consider to be enough.

When someone asks on here about extra gratuities, most answer not necessary. Some of us give extra for above and beyond service and some don't, but I don't think anyone has ever said that you must or ever chastise anyone who doesn't. Edited by NLH Arizona

Not a tip/gratuity !? So I am expected to pay the DSC and tip everyone who gives me service on top of this not inconsiderable sum of my money ?

No Way.

According to many that's exactly what you should do, however I say it's up to you.

Huh?

Tipping is absolutely optional. The DSC is a charge.

The DSC is a discretionary tip masked as a daily charge to supposedly be distributed to all on-board crew. One CAN opt-out and remove it. If one does, they must tip those who provided direct service to them as was done in the past when envelopes were handed out.

Tipping is not optional, since when, and other than the tipping police who enforces it:confused::confused::confused:

If one opts out of the DSC and has received a satisfactory level of service, then based on custom and the known salary structure of the staff, tipping is not optional. No one will enforce it other than your own conscience. And with close to 9K in posts, I'm sure you're not all that confused.

If one opts out of the DSC and has received a satisfactory level of service, then based on custom and the known salary structure of the staff, tipping is not optional. No one will enforce it other than your own conscience. And with close to 9K in posts, I'm sure you're not all that confused.

Actually I am totally confused by your assertion that tipping is not optional, it is 100% optional.

No Way.

Nope.

You do not understand the system.

Pay the Service Charge. You are not expected to tip anyone.

Actually I am totally confused by your assertion that tipping is not optional, it is 100% optional.

So are you saying that tips are optional when you go out to eat in a restaurant? While you are able to get away without tipping that does not mean that tips are not expected. Which is what I believe they mean when they say that tips are not optional.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So are you saying that tips are optional when you go out to eat in a restaurant? While you are able to get away without tipping that does not mean that tips are not expected. Which is what I believe they mean when they say that tips are not optional.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well if you can get away without paying them every dictionary I've ever seen would say that they are optional.

But maybe we have different definitions of the word.

Well if you can get away without paying them every dictionary I've ever seen would say that they are optional.

But maybe we have different definitions of the word.

Emphasis added to clarify.