adjusting tips

megann831

The DSC is a discretionary tip masked as a daily charge to supposedly be distributed to all on-board crew. One CAN opt-out and remove it. If one does, they must tip those who provided direct service to them as was done in the past when envelopes were handed out.

But we don't know if it's distributed to staff because the cruise lines have stated it is also used for employee incentives and employee parties and merchant seamans retirement funds.

If the cruise line would be upfront about where our tips are really going it wouldn't be controversial. I choose to make sure it goes into the hands of the crew that serve me.

If one opts out of the DSC and has received a satisfactory level of service, then based on custom and the known salary structure of the staff, tipping is not optional. No one will enforce it other than your own conscience. And with close to 9K in posts, I'm sure you're not all that confused.

But we don't know the salary structure, ( not our business)that's the whole controversy. I just want to know if the entire DSC goes to staff and which staff, and in what amounts. When we handed out envelopes we knew what was expected and to whom. Now it's a mystery.

Edited by cruzsnooze

But we don't know if it's distributed to staff because the cruise lines have stated it is also used for employee incentives and employee parties and merchant seamans retirement funds.

If the cruise line would be upfront about where our tips are really going it wouldn't be controversial. I choose to make sure it goes into the hands of the crew that serve me.

I 100% agree.

I will only tip the people who serve me directly. I will also remove the dsc and let the billion dolor corporation pay their behind the scene employees.

Tip anyone you wish to tip but surely you don't believe that the billion dollar corporation isn't using your money and mine to pay their employees.

Wow 10 pages (and counting) :eek: of folks arguing over this. Can we toss in a couple of the other "3rd rail" topics and get this to 100 pages by the end of the holiday weekend?

Lets toss in

the best way to smuggle booze on board

do I need a passport

should I use a TA

why is my airline ticket x when I only paid y 8 years ago

Well if you can get away without paying them every dictionary I've ever seen would say that they are optional.

But maybe we have different definitions of the word.

You are obviously here just to argue. If you read my post I specifically said it was not to be taken in the literal sense. Tipping in certain circumstances is expected as part of a servers income. So much so that some restaurants even include it on the check in certain cases like more than 6 people or total over a certain amount thus making it "not optional". I certainly hope you are more talk and less action when it comes to possibly stiffing someone on a tip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow 10 pages (and counting) :eek: of folks arguing over this. Can we toss in a couple of the other "3rd rail" topics and get this to 100 pages by the end of the holiday weekend?

Lets toss in

the best way to smuggle booze on board

do I need a passport

should I use a TA

why is my airline ticket x when I only paid y 8 years ago

Why not include smoking and formal nights.

But we don't know the salary structure, ( not our business)that's the whole controversy. I just want to know if the entire DSC goes to staff and which staff, and in what amounts. When we handed out envelopes we knew what was expected and to whom. Now it's a mystery.

In one statement you say the salary structure is none of our business and in another statement you say you want to know who gets what amounts? Sounds slightly contradictory.

You are obviously here just to argue. If you read my post I specifically said it was not to be taken in the literal sense. Tipping in certain circumstances is expected as part of a servers income. So much so that some restaurants even include it on the check in certain cases like more than 6 people or total over a certain amount thus making it "not optional". I certainly hope you are more talk and less action when it comes to possibly stiffing someone on a tip.

And can you explain how it is anyone's business who and how I tip, other than me and the recipient.

And can you explain how it is anyone's business who and how I tip, other than me and the recipient.

I didn't say it was anyone's business however you are on here posting about it so I was adding my comments to the other posters comment about them not being "optional".

And I give them as little as possible, just like when buying anything else. I will tip in cash to those who serve me.

How little you give and how much you tip aren't relevant. Nobody cares. You stated that the cruise lines should pay their employees with their money, not yours...yet you still can't seem to show how their money wasn't yours to start with.

no, you're just trying to start drama, but I don't take off the whole amount from what I'm charged. I also don't believe my 3 year old needs to tip, or service charge, as much as my husband and I.

Yes, true. As we all know, a 3-year old doesn't make a mess in the cabin or eat on the ship :rolleyes:

How little you give and how much you tip aren't relevant. Nobody cares. You stated that the cruise lines should pay their employees with their money, not yours...yet you still can't seem to show how their money wasn't yours to start with.

Once I pay my fare and board the ship it becomes their money. Jeez. But ,hey props to you for drinking the kool aid and subsidizing the rest of us that don't fall for their service charge nonsense. Thanks for keeping my fare low!

Once I pay my fare and board the ship it becomes their money. Jeez. But ,hey props to you for drinking the kool aid and subsidizing the rest of us that don't fall for their service charge nonsense. Thanks for keeping my fare low!

Following that "logic" once the DSC is paid it also becomes their money. Which just goes to prove how ridiculous your original comment was.

You have had months and months to read up about how the system works.

I'm thinking there is a problem that cannot be cured.