Lets fix HAL

RClark6369@aol.com

It would be exceedingly expensive to reposition HAL as a competitor to Oceania, etc. Oceania has six ships that average 30,000 tons and carry around 700 passengers. True, they do go to ports that HAL does not but many of those ports would not accommodate the much larger ships of HAL. Essentially, you would have to scrap the entire HAL fleet and start from scratch. BTW, Eurodam and Nieuw Amsterdam could carry all the passengers that Oceania does with their six ships. It's just not clear that there is a sufficient number of passengers to justify such a conversion.

BTW, HAL just announced they would be spending $300 million on their fleet.

Beyond the new logo and magazine tie-in?

It would be exceedingly expensive to reposition HAL as a competitor to Oceania, etc. Oceania has six ships that average 30,000 tons and carry around 700 passengers. True, they do go to ports that HAL does not but many of those ports would not accommodate the much larger ships of HAL. Essentially, you would have to scrap the entire HAL fleet and start from scratch. BTW, Eurodam and Nieuw Amsterdam could carry all the passengers that Oceania does with their six ships. It's just not clear that there is a sufficient number of passengers to justify such a conversion.

BTW, HAL just announced they would be spending $300 million on their fleet.

Two of Oceania's ships carry 1250 pax, but beyond that, you're taking my thoughts a bit too literally. And I don't understand your point about "conversion." Characteristics of Oceania include no glitz, understated atmosphere, refined ambience, art, undistinguished shows, lack of silly diversions (rock walls, surf pools, etc.), and good room service. HAL is noted for no glitz, quiet atmosphere, a certain ambience, maritime art, undistinguished shows, no rock walls and such, and good room service. Yes, there's a size issue, but I just don't see what would have to be "scrapped" or "converted." In fact, I have seem numerous postings that point out that what Oceania is today, HAL was, and not that long ago. A different pricing and service model could seemingly restore much of what has been lost without "scrapping the fleet." The Vista class while obviously larger than O's ships would seem to be rapidly approaching the smaller side of "mid-sized" based on how the rest of the industry is going. Such a re-imagining of HAL would also solve the problem of a niche different from Princess.

A shipping tycoon approaches you and states that he has a cruise line that is a drag on his company stock because of poor performance. He solicites you to "fix" the problem. What changes would you make or what initiatives would you implement to turn the problem around ?

I would -

- listen to staff, what is making them unhappy? unhappy staff = unhappy customers

- reinstate crew passenger ratios to those of the 1990s

- get away from the garbage branding association with "top chefs". - HAL food was 100% better before chef branding

- cut about 400 berths from the new Konsingdam

- hold townhall meetings with 3 and 4 star Mariners to seek input from my

loyalists

what...??? I am hired Mr Arison??? I won't let you down. welcome back to

the Great Holland America Line.

Yes, it's time for Trump!!

Please understand that HAL is still my cruise line of choice. And I understand the economics of the industry, probably even when completely filled the R class ships probably are at best minimal contributors to corporate profit. But HAL surely isn't the really "deluxe" experience it was 25, or even 10 years ago; to me HAL is dangerously approaching mediocrity . My most recent experience, MS Maasdam in November of this year was the first time I left an HAL cruise with the feeling that not only did it not enhance or even maintain the HAL standards I had come to expect, but probably didn't even meet them. And I say this not because of an older ship (I much prefer the older ships), or the condition of the ship, or the wonderful working staff. It was the continual progression of absence of things I remember from the past that combined to make it an exceptional experience. Long gone are the flambéed deserts prepared tableside, a "real" cheese board from which to choose, destination or cultural lecturers, the seating of the occasional officer or staff member at vacant seats in the MDR on formal nights, and on and on. But what really drove the point home was the continuing compression of the menu offerings in the MDR. Yes, presentation of the food was fine, the service was OK though not exceptional, even taste though subjective was to me satisfactory, but (and I'm not a picky eater) simply the limited number of offerings left me too often not picking something that I really looked forward to with anticipation, but rather making a default choice for something that would be just acceptable.

If HAL ever hopes to be able to lift their fares over their peers IMO they're going to have to first stop the slippage and begin to return to the type of experience that caused many of us to chose them in the first place.

You hit on some of the reasons we left our long time favorite Princess for about 3 years. We are new to HAL (2 cruises) and for us the service levels are mostly the same as our experiences on Princess and Royal Caribbean. There are things we do prefer on HAL over Princess and vice versa so we have cruises on both lines booked (3 with HAL). It is my hope that those that leave HAL for whatever time, come back and focus on things they do like and start sailing HAL again. That's what happened when we starting sailing Princess again.

Edited by qsuzi

There are a lot of good points brought up here. We have sailed on five other cruise lines and still prefer HAL. Yes things have changed and not always for the better. We prefer the longer cruises, three weeks or more, I think this is where HAL is better then some of the larger ships of the low cost cruise lines. We have had ships officers join our table at dinner. On one cruise our table of six were invited to join the Capt for dinner. There has always been a guest speaker on any cruise we have been on. The problem with the large mega ships is that the ships are the destination, not the cruise it self, they may as well go out into the ocean and cruise in circles for a week and then come back.

We still prefer HAL, we tend to over look the small stuff, for us it's the itinerary first the ship is our home, some homes are newer and have more stuff in it. Our's is a little older and is lived in.

Allan

There are a lot of good points brought up here. We have sailed on five other cruise lines and still prefer HAL. Yes things have changed and not always for the better. We prefer the longer cruises, three weeks or more, I think this is where HAL is better then some of the larger ships of the low cost cruise lines. We have had ships officers join our table at dinner. On one cruise our table of six were invited to join the Capt for dinner. There has always been a guest speaker on any cruise we have been on. The problem with the large mega ships is that the ships are the destination, not the cruise it self, they may as well go out into the ocean and cruise in circles for a week and then come back.

We still prefer HAL, we tend to over look the small stuff, for us it's the itinerary first the ship is our home, some homes are newer and have more stuff in it. Our's is a little older and is lived in.

Allan

I think this post sums it up perfectly. We also prefer a longer cruise (as in, about 20 or more days), and we have had excellent guest lecturers, service and food. We still cruise on another line now and then for 7-day cruises, but we are comfortable with HAL. HAL really does do a great job with longer cruises and has excellent itineraries.

I think that one of the most effective changes HAL could make would be to replace their management team.

They set the direction, the strategy. They are responsible for the mess and for HAL's agonizing decline. I cannot imagine that the same team that got them where HAL is today has the foresight and abilities to move them forward toward a carefully built financial and sales/marketing goal.

OP

Good ideas -- but costly.

HAL would need to raise prices to pay for everything like we all had in the 90's. Not many people would be willing to pay high prices and before long -- no more Holland America.

There used to be a time when some people were invited to meet with the Hotel Director, sometimes the captain and a few other staff members on the last full day of the cruise to discuss problems. It was suppose to be for high member Mariners, TA's, etc. In the last 5 or 6 (maybe even longer) we have only been invited to one of these meetings -- fall of 2013. I can't even remember when we were invited to one before that date.

Back in 2011, we were invited to one of those meetings, on board the Volendam.

Captain Bos, Hotel Director Rene Tuinman, his wife (Guest Relations Officer if I recall correctly), also the Shore Excursion Manager and the Travel Guide, were present.

The meeting was held in the Hudson Room, chairs set out for many passengers, but only one other couple as well as ourselves attended.

Refreshments were served. It was an interesting occasion.

We are frequently included in these Q&A sessions, the most recent being in early November on the Zuiderdam. This was the first time we had a first time HAL cruiser included in the group.....a frequent RCL cruiser. This couple were very happy to find a ship/line that was more like the "old days" than RCL.

Who knows who is invited as the Hotel Director said 20 are invited, but sometimes only two will show up. This one had 8 of us as I recall. The previous one this summer on the same ship had maybe 5 or 6. So, if the newbies are invited, perhaps they choose not to show up.

James and Dan, you make great points. I think the most important issue with HAL right now is they have just "lost their way". Princess and Norwegian have gone through the same issues in the recent past of trying to figure out how to get back in the game .

I love HAL. I dont care for "of the seas" masses or the "away" rowdy crowds . I just want my HAL to stop cutting. I think middle class America is willing to pay for the old HAL experience.

If anyone remembers Chandress cruises or the very early Celebrity days. Their ships were nothing to gawk at and neither was their entertainment, but the food and service were knock outs, thus Celebrity took off with growth and market share. People will pay for quality. Did anyone ever sail on the Brittanis or Meridian with Chandress?? You would understand my points here.

We were invited to those end of cruise meetings a number of times but I only went to a few. I didn't find them particularly productive. My DH didn't go but there were about 15-20 people at the ones I attended. I have no idea how many were invited.

Ready?

1) install entertainment screens so large they could double as a sail in a pinch to be viewed by the pools (yes all pools get these).

2) slides & rock walls.

3) ditch the color schemes that are championed in "Morticians = Us" quarterlies and go w something other than funeral somber.

4) Advertise in something other than then "Morticians = Us" quarterly.

All these should "stimulate" convo! :D

Honestly, if we were going to "fix" HAL, a little more life at night is the only downside to the line.

Ready?

1) install entertainment screens so large they could double as a sail in a pinch to be viewed by the pools (yes all pools get these).

2) slides & rock walls.

3) ditch the color schemes that are championed in "Morticians = Us" quarterlies and go w something other than funeral somber.

4) Advertise in something other than then "Morticians = Us" quarterly.

All these should "stimulate" convo! :D

Honestly, if we were going to "fix" HAL, a little more life at night is the only downside to the line.

1) Princess had one and it was always playing something and the sound was annoyingly LOUD. Make one pool into a living hell if you want, but leave us somewhere quiet.

2) :eek:

3) Have you been on a HAL ship? The hallway carpets on some of them make my eyes bleed! The decor in some of the Pinnacle restaurants is downright strange--I've never seen chairs made of silver-painted rebar in a funeral home.

4) Does HAL advertise anywhere? I haven't seen it, but then I don't subscribe to Mortician's Quarterly

Your suggestion for evening entertainment is a good one.