Air Conditioner

Fish66

I'm going to New Zealand on February 11th next year leaving from Melbourne

It will no doubt be hot in Melbourne ( and February is supposed to be hot in NZ also

Can anyone tell me if the air conditioner in the cabins are really good

Can I adjust my own cabin temp or is it set to the same thru out the ship?

I like it cold so I hope I can adjust it myself

Thanks in advance

Tricia

Most people complain that ships are too cold in general, so maybe that works for you. On the other hand, there is a frequent comment that cabins can be difficult to manage temps,

What ship are you on? I would be asking on the board for that cruise line about trends any given ship has.

Most people complain that ships are too cold in general, so maybe that works for you. On the other hand, there is a frequent comment that cabins can be difficult to manage temps,

What ship are you on? I would be asking on the board for that cruise line about trends any given ship has.

I'm on the golden princess

I havent been on Golden just Diamond Princess.

On Diamond you could adjust the temp in the cabin. Day 1 when we arrived at our cabin (mini dk 9) it was stinking hot as the way the ship was facing meant the sun was beating into it and the air con was off or on low. But once we shut the block out curtains and turned the ac to the lowest setting it cooled down in not too long a time. And once the ship was underway the sun was off our cabin anyway.

Unlike most we actually found the ship interior public spaces quite warm - would have preferred it cooler but that said we did notice a lot of the older folk in cardigans LOL. So totally a case if indiv preference I guess.

Also to note it was pretty cool on deck as we did a NZ run dep Syd in Sept.

We had the air con in our cabin on that lowest setting the whole time and we certainly weren't breaking out the jumpers. We'd grab hoodies for deck time but didn't need them in the cabin. I would have liked to be able to make it cooler in the cabin but it wasnt at all uncomfortable.

Edited by to_dee

I havent been on Golden just Diamond Princess.

On Diamond you could adjust the temp in the cabin. Day 1 when we arrived at our cabin (mini dk 9) it was stinking hot as the way the ship was facing meant the sun was beating into it and the air con was off or on low. But once we shut the block out curtains and turned the ac to the lowest setting it cooled down in not too long a time. And once the ship was underway the sun was off our cabin anyway.

Unlike most we actually found the ship interior public spaces quite warm - would have preferred it cooler but that said we did notice a lot of the older folk in cardigans LOL. So totally a case if indiv preference I guess.

Also to note it was pretty cool on deck as we did a NZ run dep Syd in Sept.

We had the air con in our cabin on that lowest setting the whole time and we certainly weren't breaking out the jumpers. We'd grab hoodies for deck time but didn't need them in the cabin. I would have liked to be able to make it cooler in the cabin but it wasnt at all uncomfortable.

Oh thanks for telling me that

Hope my cabin is cool

You will have individual control in your room, but it is not instantaneous.As said above it can be effected by sun streaming in and thats why they have heavy drapes......also if you open the balcony door , the air con wont work.

As far as the ship in general is concerned , the temps are something I do keep an eye on. If you have been lying in the sun and then come inside you will notice it very cool. Thats when its easy to get a chill.

The other thing I have noticed is that when you first enter a lounge or a theatre they will have had the air con on full blast and it is chilly........however as it fills up with people and the show progresses it warms up.

I don't normally wear a singlet under a shirt, but did end up wearing one around the ship at night.

The other thing to watch out for are the air conditioning outlets......I have asked to be moved a couple of times in the Dining Room as I have been seated under a blast of cold air from above....just a few seats away and its OK.

You will also notice many women wear one those lightweight "wraps".....its not always for fashion , its to keep the cold blasts off their shoulders.

We've sailed 5 different cruise lines and found all were similar, aircon too cold for us, whether inside ship or cabin. On every cruise we have turned cabin aircon up to warmest setting. Probably explains why we don't mind the climate in Darwin, Singapore and other tropical climes. Different strokes, different folks.

We've sailed 5 different cruise lines and found all were similar, aircon too cold for us, whether inside ship or cabin. On every cruise we have turned cabin aircon up to warmest setting. Probably explains why we don't mind the climate in Darwin, Singapore and other tropical climes. Different strokes, different folks.

Ondiamond you'd have cooked with iron the highest setting.

BTW NZ won't be hot in February, just pleasantly warm but some areas could have cool days.

Also if your cabin is still too hot when the air-con is set to the lowest setting, talk to your cabin steward. They seem to be able to adjust the overall temperature range. We had that problem on Dawn Princess and a quiet word to our cabin steward sorted it out, luckily.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

I also found the Golden Princess warm, despite reading reviews and being prepared for the public spaces to be freezing.

I was uncomfortable in anything more than a single layer anywhere indoors on the ship, and I'm one of those sooky types who really feels the cold :)

Love the self degradation.:p

I find that the A/C in the cabins needs to be checked every time you come back to it as the room stewards adjust them to a standard temp (around 20-25 degrees).

Better not turn my on to that

I will have it on the lowest and will leave a note so they don't touch it