Steakhouse whats your opinion?

CJHAN

We dined at the steakhouse for the first time on Breeze in 2013. I ordered the cowboy ribeye. I did not enjoy the steak at all. We also felt that the dining staff was cold and uncaring, like they didn't care if we were there or not. Service was much better in the main dining room. We decided that we would not go again on future cruise.

Fast forward to Legend July 2015. We sailed with two other couples who wanted to go to the steakhouse on the first night. This time I ordered the red snapper special. OMG, it was delicious!!! Service was amazing! It was a wonderful experience.

I recommend trying the steakhouse one more time but on a different ship.

I hade the cowboy steak as well. That for me was the big issue.

We dined at the steakhouse for the first time on Breeze in 2013. I ordered the cowboy ribeye. I did not enjoy the steak at all. We also felt that the dining staff was cold and uncaring, like they didn't care if we were there or not. Service was much better in the main dining room. We decided that we would not go again on future cruise.

Fast forward to Legend July 2015. We sailed with two other couples who wanted to go to the steakhouse on the first night. This time I ordered the red snapper special. OMG, it was delicious!!! Service was amazing! It was a wonderful experience.

I recommend trying the steakhouse one more time but on a different ship.

Completely agree!

We've been to the steakhouse 5 or 6 times. We've had 1 bad experience and unfortunately it was on our honeymoon cruise (on the Spirit). It definitely took us a little while to get over it. But our follow-on experiences have been excellent again.

I can understand if your 1st experience is less than favorable it would sour your outlook. But I agree with the above post, definitely give it another try in the future.

I go at least once every time. I will now only get the ribeye. I got the filet one time, and it was incredibly tender and perfectly cooked, however I forgot that it doesn't have the flavor of ribeye. Next time i'll ask if they can put extra wasabi in the potatoes.

Edited by Swimware27

Last March on the Magic we booked the Steakhouse for the second night so we could enjoy the free bottle of wine...it was so great we booked for our last night on board as well. Both times the food and service was excellent. We are already booked for our Dream cruise and fully anticipate adding a second night once we get on board. For appetizers we either had the onion soup/crab cake/ or shrimp cocktail. For steaks my husband had the ribeye and I had surf/turf (filet) and for dessert the chocolate sampler.

So DW and I tried the steakhouse for the first time on the Magic. The food was kind of just ok not good enough for us to go back. It very wll could have been that we made bad choices on our meals. Has anyone experienced this and tried again and enjoyed it. In short is one not great experience worth not trying again?

We have done the steakhouse, as well as most different specialty restaurants, when on board a cruise, usually at least once. We enjoy the steakhouse and have it booked on Christmas Eve - for the first time taking our boys, 17 and 11. We felt that this was the first time that they could appreciate the experience. As with any "fine dining" experience, not everything on the menu is going to be 5 start - for example, I am not a huge fan of the lobster bisque. I tend to get something that is more unique, like the ahi for an appetizer. And I am a sucker for a good filet or their lobster - it's totally different than MDR. P,us you get all the little extra surprises and the desserts and cheeses are MUCH better than MDR. So all in all we like it and feel it is worthy of a trip.

We always do the steak house once or twice per cruise. I love the more relaxed atmosphere. My boys love it and I have used the experience to teach the to appreciate fine dining at an affordable price. Almost always have a great meal but once the steak was undercooked but was so full refused to let them cook another steak. They removed the charge for my meal from the bill which I never requested. The Chef came out and apologized and really went above and beyond what I expected. Usually go the first night as that is the least favorite MDR menu plus the free bottle of wine.

We always heard so many good things about the steak house so we tried it on our last cruise on the Pride. I didn't think it was anything special, the food was okay but not worth the extra $35.00 each. I wouldn't do it again.

Uh Oh! We have NEVER gone to the Steak house on any of our cruises because we like the MDR food just fine and don't want to spend the extra $. On our Pride cruise in March we will be Diamond and according to CCL website, we get a free dinner in the steakhouse, so I am going to book for the lst night to get the free bottle of wine. I will miss the crème brulee which they serve in the MDR the lst night, but those are the breaks! I am REALLY looking forward to the experience as I have heard so many reports of dinners there on various ships. Kind of upsetting to read BattyL's opinion. :(:confused:

We were just recently on Pride and ate at the steakhouse. We were a party of six and while the service was good, it was nothing special. None of us felt that the food was extraordinary. I had the filet and DH had the rib eye and both of us just felt that the food, while nicely presented, had little to no flavor:(. If fact, we felt the appetizers tasted the best of everything we had ( I had the escargot and DH had the lobster bisque).

Now, we usually eat at the specialty restaurants when cruising Royal and have always left feeling very satisfied and ready to book again - Pride, not so much. When we sail again, we will probably give it another shot but this trip was not worth the $35 per person:(. JMHO.

We were just recently on Pride and ate at the steakhouse. We were a party of six and while the service was good, it was nothing special. None of us felt that the food was extraordinary. I had the filet and DH had the rib eye and both of us just felt that the food, while nicely presented, had little to no flavor:(. If fact, we felt the appetizers tasted the best of everything we had ( I had the escargot and DH had the lobster bisque).

Now, we usually eat at the specialty restaurants when cruising Royal and have always left feeling very satisfied and ready to book again - Pride, not so much. When we sail again, we will probably give it another shot but this trip was not worth the $35 per person:(. JMHO.

Oh, that's not good news. Sorry you did not have a good meal. We were on the Pride in May on a B2B. The lst week I ordered the flat iron steak from the everyday menu and it was terrible. Could barely cut it. 2nd week there was nothing much on the menu I wanted one night and I ordered 2 appetizers and the flat iron steak just for the heck of it. It was one of the best steaks I have ever had. So I wonder if it's just the luck of the draw week to week what is provided to the ship. :confused: Our visit to the steakhouse will be free because we're diamond, so we are going to give it a shot! Hope your next experience is better. :cool:

The steakhouse is a nice experience but certainly plan to make it your event that evening as things take a little longer than typical MDR. not complaining as i dont mind. I also think the food varies from ship to ship or chef to chef as I dont think carnival has a fleetwide approach to how their steaks ought to be cooked and seasoned.

We were comped two steakhouse selection meals in the MDR ($40 Value). I felt the entrees were equal in quality to what used to be included in the MDR 10+ years ago. That said, I thought the MDR food was quite good and would not have paid $40 to upgrade if not comped. No way would I spend $70 to go to a Steakhouse (the ship I was on did not have the steakhouse proper). Between what I have paid for food and service in the MDR, to pay an additional $70 for the steakhouse and lose out on the meal I already paid for seems a bit excessive to me.

We have been to the steakhouse on several different ships. When first introduced, we really enjoyed the experience. I think the food was a lot better but has diminished somewhat (likewise, the MDR). If we are cruising with friends, especially somebody that has not cruised before or cruised on Carnival, we will spend an evening with them in the steakhouse and enjoy it. I think it's worth the extra charge and would encourage anybody considering the experience.

We were comped two steakhouse selection meals in the MDR ($40 Value). I felt the entrees were equal in quality to what used to be included in the MDR 10+ years ago. That said, I thought the MDR food was quite good and would not have paid $40 to upgrade if not comped. No way would I spend $70 to go to a Steakhouse (the ship I was on did not have the steakhouse proper). Between what I have paid for food and service in the MDR, to pay an additional $70 for the steakhouse and lose out on the meal I already paid for seems a bit excessive to me.

In reality, you are still paying for the steakhouse meal - the $35 is the "upcharge" to cover the expense difference. $35 would never get you a meal at a "comparable" steakhouse on land, like Ruth Chris. In fact, that wouldn't cover most of the entree's they offer, let alone the appetizer, salad and dessert courses. That is why many find the steakhouse to be a bargain.

What were the choices that you liked and the choice that your dad didn't?

My husband gets one of the steaks, hasn't had a bad one yet. I, get the filet mignon or the surf and turf. Delicious!

My dad had the lamb chops. Personally, I think it wasn't cooked enough for him. We told him to send back but he didn't want to insult the chef.

I'm kind of shocked to hear all of the negative feedback regarding the Steakhouse. My wife and I have decided to go for the first time during our upcoming February cruise (well, my first time but nor hers); after reading some of the responses, I'm almost wondering if we should just stick to the MDR instead.

I've always heard the food was amazing, and the atmosphere was spectacular...and while I typically take negative things on the board with a grain of salt, I'm thinking maybe the Steakhouses are slipping to the point of not being worth the extra $35. It's food for thought, I guess.

In reality, you are still paying for the steakhouse meal - the $35 is the "upcharge" to cover the expense difference. $35 would never get you a meal at a "comparable" steakhouse on land, like Ruth Chris. In fact, that wouldn't cover most of the entree's they offer, let alone the appetizer, salad and dessert courses. That is why many find the steakhouse to be a bargain.

I did not think the quality of the steak warranted even the $20 upcharge in the MDR. It was OK. Not great. Certainly nothing spectacular/once in a lifetime sort of steak. No way comparable to Ruth's Chris

Now, I didn't get the full $70 steakhouse experience, but given that I got the "core" of what they do, if I had paid the $40 I would have felt very let down. Atmosphere and appetizers would not have impressed me.

If someone comes from an area without any steakhouses or wants to treat themselves, that is fine, I can see the appeal. But for me, nah.

I had the filet and DH had the rib eye and both of us just felt that the food, while nicely presented, had little to no flavor:(. If fact, we felt the appetizers tasted the best of everything we had ( I had the escargot and DH had the lobster bisque). :(. JMHO.

I ask them to put the spice rub on all the steaks I order in the Carnival Steakhouse. It has the right amount of salt and spice. Give it a try the next time.:cool: