Re-imagining Food Glorious Food

Spursgirl

Even after reading all the comments from guests, I still look forward to having wonderful meals on my next Azamara sailing, coming up in two weeks!

I have always found something on the menu which I thoroughly enjoy. And the buffets are always great, especially the Indian buffet.

I love that Azamara has the smoothie bar for breakfast and something different every day for breakfast. So many other lines have the same thing every day for breakfast and it gets old.

Azamara always tries very hard to get it right and they usually do, at least with the onboard experience.

Start with posts 1 and 17 on your "flamethrowers" thread. Much ado about something trivial: cranberries.

Speaking of cranberries....I just found a great recipe for sugared cranberries to decorate my Buche de Noel cake.

Merry Christmas!

“Travel is the only thing you buy that makes you richer.” – Anonymous

Kathy

Start with posts 1 and 17 on your "flamethrowers" thread. Much ado about something trivial: cranberries.

I'm not sure I EVER talked about "cranberries"???? What the heck are YOU talking about...cranberries...were the "least" of my "worries"..and that is really not a worry...at all!! ?????? I was trying to talk about the food ..on my cruise....and you?????? I was on the T-Day cruise..and the fall T/A..and I have a right to my opinion! As do you...but if you were NOT on that cruise...I'm not sure you have a vote...do you???? LuAnn

Edited by LuAnn

Having recently come back from a cruise on the Quest (will write a review shortly), we felt the food offering in the MDR was OK but not particularly good and not as good as on previous trips. The offerings quite often had very little flavour. We like to eat fish so tended to choose the 'light' option in order to get this but we weren't impressed.

As we had been upgraded to a suite we tried Aqualina twice. The food itself was much better than the MDR but we were disappointed that the 2 menus that had been on the website and were still displayed on the stateroom TV had been amalgamated into 1 limited menu with only one fish option - Dover Sole - so we had this twice. That was very good.

The other issue with Aqualina, which was a general complaint by many passengers, was that you had to choose between the early or late sitting - either eat around 6pm or 9pm. The only way to eat at 7:30 pm was to ask to sit at a 'sharing' table. We did this once but it was already full the second time we booked so we had to eat at 6pm.

If we had not been in a suite, I would not have paid to eat there with those time limitations.

We just returned from a cruise on the Quest to Viet Nam and were very disappointed. This was our 4th cruise with Azamara and we booked a suite. The room and the staff were excellent and the ship was clean and well maintained. That is where the good ends and the disappointing begins. The food was way below what we experienced on previous Azamara cruises. The quality and variety were below par to say the least. There were obvious cutbacks in the selections offered and the quality of what was offered was substandard. The choices in the Main Dining room were greatly reduced and we were forced to eat in the Specialty Dining room all but 2 nights. In the Specialty Dining room the food was still not what we experienced on past cruises with Lobster that was DRY and Tough! Steak that was of lower quality than in the past and reduced selections on the menu. It was a good thing that we had a suite so we were able to eat in the Specialty Dining room as often as we would like as the Main Dining room rarely had anything I would eat. The menu was reduced to a choice of 3 main courses, one meat, one fish and one vegetarian. If you expect to keep your customers coming back, something must be done to reverse these cutbacks. As for us our next cruise is booked on Oceania where the food is far better than what we just experienced.

Jerome & Jerilyn Goldchain

This is really disheartening to read so many comments regarding a what appears to be cost saving measures in the MDR. We also have noticed a definate change on our last few cruises, both on the Quest and the Journey, and have posted only on one incident. In fact we spoke to F&B regarding the incident, but repeating myself, changes are happening and unfortunately seem to be on the increase.It is such a shame that these measures are impacting a part of our cruises that we all look forward to. This is not just the opinion of a few passengers but a much larger portion that seems to be noticing and we are just a small percentage that are on CC.

Azamara has a lot of faithful followers, ourselves included, and I think we all would hate to be chased away to other lines for something that could certainly be rectified.

I do hope that the powers that be are reading these comments from the dedicated Azamarians that are being posted here.

It is clear that many loyal Azamara cruisers share my view that the MDR food needs to be reviewed and improved. The company are investing significant sums on the reimagining project. Surely some of that investment can be allocated to dining?

On a positive note I thought both speciality restaurants on Journey last month were excellent and even better than we experienced the last time we cruised on Azamara.

Just got off the Quest this morning. This was are 3rd cruise on the Quest. The menu in the main dining room is exactly the same as our 3 previous cruises. Unfortunately the quality and taste gone down quite a bit. Had a couple of fish dishes that were so fishy you could smell them before they were sat in front of you. I am not sure if the Chef is sampling these often? They were really bad. We were forced to go to the Buffet and also spend 50$ a pop at the speciality restaurants. We had a great cruise except for the main dining room. Which is sad because we love the maitre de Daniel, he is the best!

With that being said Aqualina and Prime C are out standing. So was are Chefs table! But after spending a lot on the cruise it's tough to swallow another $500 in Food charges.

My husband and I are both foodies and hearing about the lack of imagination as far as the menus are concerned is making me rethink booking for next year. This is disappointing.news for Azamara. After last months Crystal cruise.....it sounds like Azamara has too many question marks connected to it's brand.:confused:

My husband and I are both foodies and hearing about the lack of imagination as far as the menus are concerned is making me rethink booking for next year. This is disappointing.news for Azamara. After last months Crystal cruise.....it sounds like Azamara has too many question marks connected to it's brand.:confused:

I think some of these reports are exaggerated. I have been one of the people commenting, but I would never say it's bad. On our recent Far East cruise we found the food to be good in the MDR, but just not as outstanding as previously - no 'wow' dishes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I know that I am unlikely to get my favourite tea anywhere except in the UK, that's why I take it with me on every holiday!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wow, I do believe that you are 'Lady Teapot' from Athens - Mumbai 2012 !!

We too take our own tea as we find that the tea available on AZ is not as good as it used to be. After 4 cruises on Journey in 4 years I have to agree with the MDR comments:

Menus need changing.

We didn't find the food as good this time [barcelona-Miami]. Not as wide a choice and a bit bland/flavourless.

The quality of the complimentary wines has dropped as well - but a lovely NZ Sauvignon Blanc.

Wow, I do believe that you are 'Lady Teapot' from Athens - Mumbai 2012 !!

We too take our own tea as we find that the tea available on AZ is not as good as it used to be. After 4 cruises on Journey in 4 years I have to agree with the MDR comments:

Menus need changing.

We didn't find the food as good this time [barcelona-Miami]. Not as wide a choice and a bit bland/flavourless.

The quality of the complimentary wines has dropped as well - but a lovely NZ Sauvignon Blanc.

Agree 100%! The "regular" tea served in "Windows" (Earl Gray) was pretty weak...and when they had "run out of that" one AM at breakfast they found me some Twinnings.."sp?"...sorry I'm from the US you know...but it tasted so much better and different!!! Also agree re the menus and the food...TBH...we found it pretty bad in the MDR...not good...bad! Lobster..so tough..prime rib...like a slice of an old piece of roast my "mid-west mother" would have cooked...thin and hard as a rock...and most nights we just ate at "Windows"...and the T-Day meal..as I have said before ...it was just terrible! A "T-Day Brunch" at 10 AM...sorry...in my experience no body eats a T Day meal at 10 AM in the USA...BUT they did have turkey...gravy and cranberry sauce...but no mashed potatoes/sweet potatoes or pumpkin pie...oh...there was a "pumpkin cake"...didn't even know it was pumpkin "flavored"!!! A big white looking "wedding cake"....who knew??? And then...on T-Day Night..no "traditional dinner" on the menu...the waiters were..according to the Hotel Director.. to "ask the Americans" if they wanted that dinner...well..it wasn't on the menu...and many "Americans" were not "asked BTW...so we headed up to "Windows"...because they at least had turkey...gravy..no mashed potatoes..no cranberries....BUT...they did make me mashed potatoes when I asked...and THANK YOU for that...but what if I hadn't asked??? And they were VERY, VERY GOOD!!!...and passengers were coming by and saying "How did you get that'???????

We take "Holiday Cruises" because we don't have any family to celebrate with at home...While I appreciate that AZ needs to provide food for many people from many countries...when I was told that "We can't cater to the Americans for this holiday"...I was very surprised...and disappointed. After all....many of my friends from England also told me they were disappointed not to have a "traditional meal" on that night on the menu! And Eric the CD had told us...early on in the cruise..that most on board were from the US....so...couldn't we have had at least a "T-Day" dinner on the menu in the MDR....and more choices each and every night???

Can you tell I was disappointed? i hope so...because I was...and I will be back for the spring T/A...and hope so many of the food aspects will be improved! LuAnn

Agree 100%! The "regular" tea served in "Windows" (Earl Gray) was pretty weak...and when they had "run out of that" one AM at breakfast they found me some Twinnings.."sp?"...sorry I'm from the US you know...but it tasted so much better and different!!! Also agree re the menus and the food...TBH...we found it pretty bad in the MDR...not good...bad! Lobster..so tough..prime rib...like a slice of an old piece of roast my "mid-west mother" would have cooked...thin and hard as a rock...and most nights we just ate at "Windows"...and the T-Day meal..as I have said before ...it was just terrible! A "T-Day Brunch" at 10 AM...sorry...in my experience no body eats a T Day meal at 10 AM in the USA...BUT they did have turkey...gravy and cranberry sauce...but no mashed potatoes/sweet potatoes or pumpkin pie...oh...there was a "pumpkin cake"...didn't even know it was pumpkin "flavored"!!! A big white looking "wedding cake"....who knew??? And then...on T-Day Night..no "traditional dinner" on the menu...the waiters were..according to the Hotel Director.. to "ask the Americans" if they wanted that dinner...well..it wasn't on the menu...and many "Americans" were not "asked BTW...so we headed up to "Windows"...because they at least had turkey...gravy..no mashed potatoes..no cranberries....BUT...they did make me mashed potatoes when I asked...and THANK YOU for that...but what if I hadn't asked??? And they were VERY, VERY GOOD!!!...and passengers were coming by and saying "How did you get that'???????

We take "Holiday Cruises" because we don't have any family to celebrate with at home...While I appreciate that AZ needs to provide food for many people from many countries...when I was told that "We can't cater to the Americans for this holiday"...I was very surprised...and disappointed. After all....many of my friends from England also told me they were disappointed not to have a "traditional meal" on that night on the menu! And Eric the CD had told us...early on in the cruise..that most on board were from the US....so...couldn't we have had at least a "T-Day" dinner on the menu in the MDR....and more choices each and every night???

Can you tell I was disappointed? i hope so...because I was...and I will be back for the spring T/A...and hope so many of the food aspects will be improved! LuAnn

I can completely understand your disappointment Lu-Ann. As a Brit had I been on your cruise I would have loved to have Thanksgiving Dinner in the MDR (had it been on the menu of course)

Brunches (jazz, officers, dim sum) in the main dining room typically run from 10 until 1 or 1:30, so there was no need to eat at 10. Thanksgiving dinner sittings at Plimouth Plantation are at 11, 2:30, and 6, buffet sittings are 11, 1:30, 4 and 6, so I don't understand the over-the-top upset at a brunch from 10 to 1.

Apparently, there was a traditional dinner available in the dining room but perhaps this wasn't made clear in Pursuits or on the posted menu. Not having been there, I can't comment. Unfortunate, but the first thing I would have asked was why not, rather than complain afterwards. A legitimate complaint, but not worthy of a "don't get me started."

Regarding potatoes and pumpkin pie, I'd be interested to know what was served. And does the absence of these items make dinner "terrible?" Not for me, and I live in Plymouth, where the whole business began. My traditional dessert would be apple pie or Indian pudding or grape-nut pudding, with pumpkin pie only my fourth choice, but I don't think anyone should expect their personal favorite to necessarily be on the menu. There are just too many options.

Bottom line, it appears a traditional Thanksgiving meal was served at a brunch, in the main dining room at dinner (although apparently inadequately advertised), and also in Windows. If that isn't "catering to Americans," I don't know what is.

Apparently, there was a traditional dinner available in the dining room but perhaps this wasn't made clear in Pursuits or on the posted menu. Not having been there, I can't comment. Unfortunate, but the first thing I would have asked was why not, rather than complain afterwards. A legitimate complaint, but not worthy of a "don't get me started."

Regarding potatoes and pumpkin pie, I'd be interested to know what was served. And does the absence of these items make dinner "terrible?" Not for me, and I live in Plymouth, where the whole business began. My traditional dessert would be apple pie or Indian pudding or grape-nut pudding, with pumpkin pie only my fourth choice, but I don't think anyone should expect their personal favorite to necessarily be on the menu. There are just too many options.

On board the Quest on Wednesday November 26th, the maître d approached us while we were eating and told us we must come to the MDR for Thanksgiving dinner.

He stated they would be serving turkey, stuffing, sweet potatoes and cranberries, the whole traditional meal. He was very excited about it. I must admit I was the one that brought up pumpkin pie and his answer was of but course madam. We arrived at the MDR on Thanksgiving Day at around 730 pm and it was packed.

On the menu was a traditional American Thanksgiving Day meal turkey, gravy, stuffing (dressing) and sweet potatoes. We ordered that and the potatoes served were white potatoes, a potatoes Anna type dish. They had probably run out of sweet potatoes.

No other pies on the dessert menu. I already discussed the pumpkin pie. It was OK food, nothing special in my opinion.

We did have lovely dining companions from Australia.

The MDR was most crowded I had ever seen it on any AZ cruise, we barely saw our waiter, never saw his assistant and the maître d never stopped by as he always did.

Put a fork in it this pumpkin pie and cranberry discussion is over!

Kathy