Thoughts on a deck 5 aft-wrap cabin - Vista class ship

DaveOKC

Just back from an 11 day Caribbean cruise on the Oosterdam in 5191, a corner aft-wrap cabin. Since this type of cabin has been mentioned a number of times on this board, I thought I would add my observations:

The cabin is a bit smaller than the regular Neptune suites on this ship. Not a big deal IMO, but definitely smaller with a shorter couch and fewer closets.

The balcony is MUCH larger than normal. We had 25 people on it one day and it was not crowded at all (could have held 40-50). The overhang gives you plenty of shade and rain protection, but this can be a negative for sun bathers at times.

Its a long walk (IMO) to the Neptune Lounge, so we definitely used it ALOT less than when in a regular Neptune suite. The aft location made it easy to access the dining rooms (DMR and Lido), but the Crows Nest, showroom and other forward places were a walk away.

Our cabin steward did a good job, but was not as familiar with the Neptune perks as he should have been. We had to ask for a number of small things (daily menu, laundry bags, etc.) and we never did get our final bill the last morning as scheduled.

All in all, we would still book these cabins, especially if on a scenic itinerary or if hosting a group of people.

On our last cruise on HAL on the Westerdam we had the aft wrap suite on deck 8. The balcony was just amazing.

I guess we were lucky, our Steward was well acquainted with Suite percs and spoiled us. We were a bit embarrassed at times, as he was also assigned to several standard Veranda cabins near ours and always serviced our cabin as a priority. We would go down to the Neptune Lounge for a morning cappuccino and by the time we came back our cabin was done to perfection. Some of the nearby Veranda cabins weren't serviced until after lunchtime.

We leave in 27 days on the Oo'dam in our deck 5 aft wrap Neptune 5190 on other corner of the ship. My DW loves the huge veranda...says "it's like being on your own yacht". The slightly smaller cabin compared to other Neptunes is more than offset by the huge veranda. I've got a 14-day and two 21-day cruises booked in aft wraps for winter 2017. She'll pick the winner after we get home early Feb.

DaveOKC, this Dave agrees with everything you said, however I look at the extra steps to the Neptune Lounge as payback for all the goodies I enjoy when there. I've always found our stewards eager to please.

Edited by blizzardboy

We had an aft wrap suite on the Eurodam in June for a Baltic Capitals cruise. The views afforded from both sides of the wrap around balcony were absolutely amazing. I would not have had it any other way for this cruise! The longer walk to the Neptune Lounge just wore off a few calories, we used the Lounge on average two to three times a day.

In our corner aft-wrap on the N.A. I loved having a wifi access-point (antenna) in the ceiling inside the room, giving the strongest possible connection!

Having a WIFI repeater in the room only helps if it's "high speed" to begin with. I hope the system has already been upgraded on the Oo'dam, but with her dry dock coming this Spring, I'm not holding my breath.

Having a WIFI repeater in the room only helps if it's "high speed" to begin with. I hope the system has already been upgraded on the Oo'dam, but with her dry dock coming this Spring, I'm not holding my breath.

There was a repeater in our aft-wrap cabin, 6166, on the Oosterdam last month but the internet speed was much less than good.

Just back from an 11 day Caribbean cruise on the Oosterdam in 5191, a corner aft-wrap cabin. Since this type of cabin has been mentioned a number of times on this board, I thought I would add my observations:

The cabin is a bit smaller than the regular Neptune suites on this ship. Not a big deal IMO, but definitely smaller with a shorter couch and fewer closets.

The balcony is MUCH larger than normal. We had 25 people on it one day and it was not crowded at all (could have held 40-50). The overhang gives you plenty of shade and rain protection, but this can be a negative for sun bathers at times.

Its a long walk (IMO) to the Neptune Lounge, so we definitely used it ALOT less than when in a regular Neptune suite. The aft location made it easy to access the dining rooms (DMR and Lido), but the Crows Nest, showroom and other forward places were a walk away.

Our cabin steward did a good job, but was not as familiar with the Neptune perks as he should have been. We had to ask for a number of small things (daily menu, laundry bags, etc.) and we never did get our final bill the last morning as scheduled.

All in all, we would still book these cabins, especially if on a scenic itinerary or if hosting a group of people.

Hey Dave,

Thanks for the information. We've booked 5090 as our first HAL cruise in Mar 15. We can't wait and are eager for any type of information. Not at all concerned about the walk since we normally walk 3 or 4 miles a day anyway.

We're very much balcony people. We selected this cabin based upon comments on this board, specifically for the large and covered balcony, so it's nice to hear your confirm these aspects. Our next HAL will be on Oosterdam once it has relocated to Tampa. Cut's about three hours off our drive time.

Hi Dave ... I am curious as we have this cabin next summer:

When you say fewer closets, does that mean less than the six that are shown in the photos of 5191 on the other website? I also located some photos on the web as well as a video or two. I know that some aft-wraps have only the three closets in the dressing area but those on deck five have the three added ones next to the bed ... DON'T THEY??:eek:

Cheers!

Hi Dave ... I am curious as we have this cabin next summer:

When you say fewer closets, does that mean less than the six that are shown in the photos of 5191 on the other website? I also located some photos on the web as well as a video or two. I know that some aft-wraps have only the three closets in the dressing area but those on deck five have the three added ones next to the bed ... DON'T THEY??:eek:

Cheers!

You are correct - 3 in the dressing area and 3 in the bedroom area. I thought that the normal Neptunes had more, but I may be confused by the arrangement. Sorry if I was wrong, but it SEEMED like we had less closets and drawers. We did not have a closet by the door which we always used for coats.

Edited by DaveOKC

Ah.......I love all this talk about "My Penthouse" :D

In answer to AZNative's question

On Westerdam, Zuiderdam and Nieuw Amsterdam we had 6 closets, 3 in the dressing room and 3 next to the bed.

I cannot answer about the Oosterdam, Noordam or Eurodam Deck 5 Aft wraps since I've not been in any of them...YET:D ( I included the 2 Signature ships for additional information seekers.)

I think I may have to stop raving about "My Penthouse" since so many others are finding them to be so awesome also....:p

Joanie

Edited by IRL_Joanie

Didn't mind being so far from the Neptune Lounge as the sofa's were to close too the floor for me to get up from. Appetizers there were just okay. So that leaves the coffee machine and I used my beverage card at the Explorer's Lounge.

You are correct - 3 in the dressing area and 3 in the bedroom area. I thought that the normal Neptunes had more, but I may be confused by the arrangement. Sorry if I was wrong, but it SEEMED like we had less closets and drawers. We did not have a closet by the door which we always used for coats.

Thanks, Dave. I checked online and on the HAL site and it seems that the SAs have three in the dressing area and the other three just inside the cabin door leaving more room in the bedroom area.

Cheers!

cabin_340_116338806247.jpg.00e14019c02e6d5522acbd50c0c3ea1e.jpg

Thanks, Dave. I checked online and on the HAL site and it seems that the SAs have three in the dressing area and the other three just inside the cabin door leaving more room in the bedroom area.

Cheers!

Part of my problem is that our last cruise was on an S class ship and the Neptune cabins are different in them, so I might have mistaken the two.

Part of my problem is that our last cruise was on an S class ship and the Neptune cabins are different in them, so I might have mistaken the two.

I envy you!

Wish I had the problem of too many cruises and so many Neptune Suites that I mixed them up.:D:D

Maybe someday ...;)

Cheers!

Edited by AZNative2000

I envy you!

Wish I had the problem of too many cruises and so many Neptune Suites that I mixed them up.:D:D

Maybe someday ...;)

Cheers!

Well, I have been very lucky with upsells. Once in awhile I might book a Neptune, but only if I REALLY want a specific cabin for a special cruise. Normally I book a Vista or Signature cabin and watch closely for the upsells (I bug my PCC alot!).

Well, I have been very lucky with upsells. Once in awhile I might book a Neptune, but only if I REALLY want a specific cabin for a special cruise. Normally I book a Vista or Signature cabin and watch closely for the upsells (I bug my PCC alot!).

It's REALLY lucky if you get an aft-wrap on an upsell. And lottery lucky to get one on deck 5.:):)

We've had to book a year ahead.

Cheers!

It's REALLY lucky if you get an aft-wrap on an upsell. And lottery lucky to get one on deck 5.:):)

We've had to book a year ahead.

Cheers!

Both times I had the deck 5 aft-wrap I had to purchase it far ahead of time and pay full price (although we got a great deal on this cruise with all the OBC and other perks).

As you stated, its hard to get a deck 5 aft wrap on an upsell.

Both times I had the deck 5 aft-wrap I had to purchase it far ahead of time and pay full price (although we got a great deal on this cruise with all the OBC and other perks).

As you stated, its hard to get a deck 5 aft wrap on an upsell.

Typically, how far out do you have to book the deck 5 aft wraps. I booked mine in March on Westerdam about 85 days out. Is that "far out"? Curious because I intend to book more.

Typically, how far out do you have to book the deck 5 aft wraps. I booked mine in March on Westerdam about 85 days out. Is that "far out"? Curious because I intend to book more.

You were very lucky. We have had one twice and had to grab it over a year ahead. (Once on the first day the cruise was available.) :)

It is always possible that at or near final payment time (75 days prior to departure), someone who has been holding one will cancel and it becomes available again at that time.

It would also depend on if the cruise were a weekly Alaska cruise, a monthly Med cruise or a once-a-year transatlantic.

Cheers!

We booked our deck 5 aft wrap in Oct for the March 2017 Panama Canal transit and were thrilled it was still available. So, yes, I think you were very lucky--sometimes things just work out well.

LC

and we like the extra space in the side version and being closer to the lounge. We don't normally book this level due to cost and would rather do 2 cruises in a balcony cabin than one in the Neptune. We like signature size and would book it if the price is closer to the VAs we usually book.

You were very lucky. We have had one twice and had to grab it over a year ahead. (Once on the first day the cruise was available.) :)

It is always possible that at or near final payment time (75 days prior to departure), someone who has been holding one will cancel and it becomes available again at that time.

It would also depend on if the cruise were a weekly Alaska cruise, a monthly Med cruise or a once-a-year transatlantic.

Cheers!

We booked our deck 5 aft wrap in Oct for the March 2017 Panama Canal transit and were thrilled it was still available. So, yes, I think you were very lucky--sometimes things just work out well.

LC

Thanks guys, I suspected I was a bit lucky. I normally book much further out than I did for this cruise. In fact, I cancelled a cruise I had booked months ago to switch to this cruise. I will book my future cruises as soon as I can.

Thanks Again.

You guys have no idea how much we're looking forward to this balcony.