Thoughts on a deck 5 aft-wrap cabin - Vista class ship

DaveOKC

The prices for Oosterdam and Nieuw Amsterdam in Mar 2017 are the same.

Your pickup analogy is what caused me to rethink this.

I'm glad to hear the prices are now in line with FLL. I hadn't looked for quite a while as our 2017 cruise was booked a year ago, and we're booked on an Asian cruise, our first with Celebrity, in 2018. We've had a pretty lousy experience with Celebrity during booking, so I'm a little on the fence right now about giving them my business.

I would like to think that a bunch of people like me complained about the price difference, avoided the Tampa departures altogether, or both, forcing HAL to drop the prices out of Tampa. My PCC was amazed at the premium price when we last compared pricing between Tampa and FLL. I emailed HAL's Exec Offices at the time and politely pitched a b*#&ch over the price differential. Market pressures drive pricing, and intangibles like convenience in driving only go so far. Cheers to lower prices!

Edited by blizzardboy

The prices for Oosterdam and Nieuw Amsterdam in Mar 2017 are the same.

We rarely, if ever, dine in the MDR. The capability of balcony dining is important to us. I've looked at our itinerary and all of out port visits end far too early for dinner in port.

If table clips solve the wind issue, then the wind isn't an issue since we have no plans to take a table cloth.

Your comment confused me. You need the table clips to hold the tablecloth down when the wind kicks up - other that that, there is no reason for them.

I'm glad to hear the prices are now in line with FLL. I hadn't looked for quite a while as our 2017 cruise was booked a year ago, and we're booked on an Asian cruise, our first with Celebrity, in 2018. We've had a pretty lousy experience with Celebrity during booking, so I'm a little on the fence right now about giving them my business.

I would like to think that a bunch of people like me complained about the price difference, avoided the Tampa departures altogether, or both, forcing HAL to drop the prices out of Tampa. My PCC was amazed at the premium price when we last compared pricing between Tampa and FLL. I emailed HAL's Exec Offices at the time and politely pitched a b*#&ch over the price differential. Market pressures drive pricing, and intangibles like convenience in driving only go so far. Cheers to lower prices!

Appreciate your working to get the fares aligned. It's about 15 hours to FLL and around 12 to TPA. Those three hours can be a big deal.

We've booked a couple of celebrity cruises but we've always backed out. They include so many things in their fares that are not of interest to us. Plus, to be very frank, Celebrity just seems a bit 'snooty' to us while HAL seems 'comfortable'.

Your comment confused me. You need the table clips to hold the tablecloth down when the wind kicks up - other that that, there is no reason for them.

Sorry for confusion. I was referring to BlizzardBoy comment "There are those that say it's no problem dining at sea with table cloth clips etc", which to me implied that the problem with balcony dining could be solved by using clips to hold the table cloth in place. If that is the only problem, then there is no problem because we don't take a table cloth.

I do understand that a table cloth with clips takes up minimal room. Wife just doesn't see the need.

I've got an email in to my TA asking for pricing for the SA and for the SB (aft) with and without Explore Four. We shall see.

Appreciate your working to get the fares aligned. It's about 15 hours to FLL and around 12 to TPA. Those three hours can be a big deal.

We've booked a couple of celebrity cruises but we've always backed out. They include so many things in their fares that are not of interest to us. Plus, to be very frank, Celebrity just seems a bit 'snooty' to us while HAL seems 'comfortable'.

After 8 spinal surgeries, 6 knee surgeries, etc., if it's more than a couple hours I'm on google flights looking for alternatives! Indianapolis to anywhere south of Louisville is a flight candidate for me.

It was when booking last January's cruise, which would've been summer/fall of 2014, shortly after they reintroduced Tampa departures, that I first saw the price disparity. It was substantial. Sounds like they've come back to the real world in their pricing. It was a similar difference to what they're still getting on K'dam cruises. I look for the "shine' to wear off of those deals in the next year as well.

After 8 spinal surgeries, 6 knee surgeries, etc., if it's more than a couple hours I'm on google flights looking for alternatives! Indianapolis to anywhere south of Louisville is a flight candidate for me.

It was when booking last January's cruise, which would've been summer/fall of 2014, shortly after they reintroduced Tampa departures, that I first saw the price disparity. It was substantial. Sounds like they've come back to the real world in their pricing. It was a similar difference to what they're still getting on K'dam cruises. I look for the "shine' to wear off of those deals in the next year as well.

My wife tells me that we prefer to drive. As former military, we have spend hundreds of hours flying and much prefer driving. I've only had two neck surgeries, one shoulder, and one hand so that may change.

Seriously, I do think it's only a matter of time until we start flying.

My wife tells me that we prefer to drive.

I like how you worded that. There is no price to be placed on domestic harmony!

A kindred spirit saw my extensive low-back scar on ship a few years ago and asked if I'd had a spinal fusion. I answered yes. They asked which vertebra and I answered "L". They asked which ones and I answered truthfully,"all of them". Three years ago, being from Indy, I wanted to be more like Peyton Manning than just ruggedly handsome, so I had three fused in my neck. Fortunately, Indianapolis has outstanding neuro and orthopedic surgeons. I know, because I've got "This lobby donated by" plaques in a 2 or 3 of their practices. ;)

Edited by blizzardboy

I like how you worded that. There is no price to be placed on domestic harmony!

We've finally arrived at a decision. We're going with the aft wrap on five. We're also booking under the Explore Four. We're losing $200 OBC. The fare is increased by $200. Net loss of $400. We're getting $190 in included gratuities. Two dinners in Pinnacle (new price is $35 PP) for a gain of $260. In effect, we will be paying $140 for the signature beverage package and the $200 internet (which is worthless to us).

Appreciate your insights.

We've finally arrived at a decision. We're going with the aft wrap on five. We're also booking under the Explore Four. We're losing $200 OBC. The fare is increased by $200. Net loss of $400. We're getting $190 in included gratuities. Two dinners in Pinnacle (new price is $35 PP) for a gain of $260. In effect, we will be paying $140 for the signature beverage package and the $200 internet (which is worthless to us).

Once you cruise in an aft wrap, you will never go back to a SA, in this Hoosiers opinion. We sail exclusively in aft wraps and have to book very early to snag one.

There is no wind on the aft portion of your verandah even when sailing unless there is a strong wind from the side. Now if you walk around the side verandah you will feel the 20+ knot airflow when the ship is sailing.

SBP cost is worth $50/day pp. Sounds like you made the right call to me. Maybe you could take up Pokemon and use put your internet pkg to good use. ;)

Edited by blizzardboy

Once you cruise in an aft wrap, you will never go back to a SA, in this Hoosiers opinion. We sail exclusively in aft wraps and have to book very early to snag one.

There is no wind on the aft portion of your verandah even when sailing unless there is a strong wind from the side. Now if you walk around the side verandah you will feel the 20+ knot airflow when the ship is sailing.

Appreciate your insights. We have done one aft wrap and had booked an SA so we could compare.

SBP cost is worth $50/day pp. Sounds like you made the right call to me. Maybe you could take up Pokemon and use put your internet pkg to good use. ;)

I'll suggest Pokemon to the wife. I'm sure she'll appreciate your thoughts. :D

The cruise lines claim it is worth around $55 a day because that is what they charge. Princess will give you $150 OBC if you decline the package.

We will see if we made the right call when we take our next Holland cruise after Oosterdam on Rotterdam. There are no aft wrap suites to tempt us.

Edited by RocketMan275

I am familiar with the Zuiderdam on deck 5, but on the Noordam it is different, right? The "roof" that covers on the Zuiderdam is just a regular amount of overhang on Noordam, right?

Deck 5 verandahs are fully covered on all Vista-class ship EXCEPT Noordam which is about 2/3d covered.

The Noordam aft wraps are all about 2/3d covered all the way up.

I've stayed in 5191 on the Noordam. We loved our balcony, which was only about half covered.

We got to be friends with the couple above us and saw their cabin too. Both the cabin and the balcony were smaller and there was less of an overhang on the aft part of the balcony.

Noordam%20Aft%20Balconies-5%20%282%29-L.jpg

Noordam%205191%20Balcony-4-L.jpg

Edited by Cindy

Just go the invoice. Worked out even better. We didn't lose the $200 OBC. The fare increased by $200 but we got the $190 included gratuities, $70 included pinnacle grill. In effect we paid $200 to get $260 in benefits and the drink package.

Saw your Hoosier remark. Where are you from? Indy is home for us.

Indy born and raised. Shortridge High School and Butler U. Army took me away and I never returned to live there. Spent many hours at the Teepee, Indy 500, Coffin and Willowbrook Golf Courses, and White Castle.

Now just enjoy aft wraps on Holland America.

In our corner aft-wrap on the N.A. I loved having a wifi access-point (antenna) in the ceiling inside the room, giving the strongest possible connection!

Great news! Will be in a N.A. corner wrap in 8 weeks. :D

Typically, how far out do you have to book the deck 5 aft wraps. I booked mine in March on Westerdam about 85 days out. Is that "far out"? Curious because I intend to book more.

I booked a year ahead, and didn't get the corner we prefer.

So, starboard it is.

At least you can't get lost and wander further AFT than a corner. :)

Edited by fann1sh

Indy born and raised. Shortridge High School and Butler U. Army took me away and I never returned to live there. Spent many hours at the Teepee, Indy 500, Coffin and Willowbrook Golf Courses, and White Castle.

Now just enjoy aft wraps on Holland America.

I grew up in Kokomo. I moved to Indy in 1979. Teepee was still open then. I went to a "country" high school, Northwestern, but used to listen to Kokomo play Shortridge on the radio when I was in grade school. I've played Coffin and about every other course, public and private, in the area before the Neurosurgeon advised me that he was going to be out of options to fix me if I kept at it. I knew there was a golf course at Willowbrook, but it was an office park by the time I lived on the north side. I was Gen Mgr for the O'Briens at 51st and Keystone, which we moved up to 96th St in 2002. I'm about to break out in a chrous of Memories! :)

So, starboard it is.

We've been on both corners of 5 to keep from getting in a rut. They're both great!

So, starboard it is.

I guess it depends upon which corner and which cruise. So far we're two for two. Of course, we're booking Caribbean cruises. Alaska is probably a bit different.