Prediction for the future of the cruise industry...

kevingastreich

Interesting comments thus far on the thoughts of traveling in a Neptune Suite.

Lately the benefits of paying for one seem to me to be fewer and fewer. On an 11 day cruise two weeks ago, we experienced:

The suite welcome aboard reception was only attended by about a dozen passengers and no officers/senior staff. Very dull party to say the least. The only notice we had of the party was one small print line in the Neptune perks welcome letter - very easily missed (previously we have received special invitations.

There was no "Captain's VIP" cocktail party at all - very unusual, especially for an 11 day cruise.

The room steward was always forgetting little things - such as laundry bags, dinner menus, and even the final bill. When reminded, he was quick to get them, but this should not be necessary IMO.

The snacks in the Neptune Lounge were more limited than in the past, both selection and amount.

Pinnacle breakfast service was very slow and not as good overall as in the past. We ended up dining in the Lido most mornings.

I hope I am not sounding "spoiled" in these comments, but rather I want to point out how HAL is reducing the Neptune Suite product and certainly causing me to rethink booking one in the future (especially if you are a 4 or 5 Star and get some of the perks already).

Perhaps this is why HAL recently announced some new features (in-suite coffee maker, refurbished cabins and large screen TVs) to the Neptune suites. However, taking other things away at the same time does not make much sense to me.

Just my thoughts on the subject.

If you're talking about Celebrity, I guess it depends. I've read several posts on their boards recently about suites not selling as well as they were a year ago for the same cruises...

While the significant price increases may have slowed the sales on some cruises, all the cruises we were considering for 2016 and 2017 are already sold out of suites (at least the Sky or Celebrity suites). The shorter cruises may have trouble selling the suites at the higher prices while it seems the longer ones are running out.

So, we come back to looking at HAL and read about the falling off of service. We can only hope it gets better.

Cheers!

Edited by AZNative2000

Bottom line for us. HAL will have trouble competing if the only thing they can offer is a Neptune suite, Neptune lounge/concierge, and breakfast in an alternate dining venue. Failure to upgrade the MDR experience will be a deal breaker for many who are not married to the line.

When it comes down to it this falls well short of some other cruise line offerings

Hopefully HAL will change direction or offer better enhancements to appeal to new customers.

Bottom line for us. HAL will have trouble competing if the only thing they can offer is a Neptune suite, Neptune lounge/concierge, and breakfast in an alternate dining venue. Failure to upgrade the MDR experience will be a deal breaker for many who are not married to the line.

When it comes down to it this falls well short of some other cruise line offerings

Hopefully HAL will change direction or offer better enhancements to appeal to new customers.

We agree with this. We paid full rack rate for a Neptune Suite and it was our most disappointing HAL cruise ever. We haven't booked a Neptune Suite since and I don't think we ever will. We would rather book an Aqua Class on X and dine in Blu than book a Neptune Suite on HAL and dine in the MDR.

We vote with our feet and with our wallets. We would not wait around for any cruise line to change or enhance their offerings.

There are many great cruise products out there to experience. Competition continues to enhance the offerings and the value.

Could you clarify something for me? When you say: " Failure to upgrade the MDR experience will be a deal breaker for many who are not married to the line.", what kind of upgrade are you referring too? Are you talking about a separate dining area for suites with a different menu or are you talking about a general upgrade to the MDR without regard to cabin class?

Sounds like HAL has to either upgrade the perks for a suite or decrease the price. I am not a fan of any class distinctions which is why I like HAL's small ships as seem more 'democratic' or maybe it is just the passengers. With cutbacks across the fleet somehow cannot see too many more upgrades - oh, forgot the coffee pot but then a Motel 6 has a coffee pot in the room - sorry but I had to laugh when that was brought up as a new perk. Real estate does come at a price but is it worth the upcharge from another cabin?

are worth the cost. The signature cabins have enough extra space and the Neptune lounge is nice but lacking a comp bar and other enhancements. When we stay at a Hyatt we book the club level and they have a nice buffet breakfast and $5 drinks at night with very nice hors'doerves.

Interesting comments thus far on the thoughts of traveling in a Neptune Suite.

Lately the benefits of paying for one seem to me to be fewer and fewer. On an 11 day cruise two weeks ago, we experienced:

The suite welcome aboard reception was only attended by about a dozen passengers and no officers/senior staff. Very dull party to say the least. The only notice we had of the party was one small print line in the Neptune perks welcome letter - very easily missed (previously we have received special invitations.

There was no "Captain's VIP" cocktail party at all - very unusual, especially for an 11 day cruise.

The room steward was always forgetting little things - such as laundry bags, dinner menus, and even the final bill. When reminded, he was quick to get them, but this should not be necessary IMO.

The snacks in the Neptune Lounge were more limited than in the past, both selection and amount.

Pinnacle breakfast service was very slow and not as good overall as in the past. We ended up dining in the Lido most mornings.

I hope I am not sounding "spoiled" in these comments, but rather I want to point out how HAL is reducing the Neptune Suite product and certainly causing me to rethink booking one in the future (especially if you are a 4 or 5 Star and get some of the perks already).

Perhaps this is why HAL recently announced some new features (in-suite coffee maker, refurbished cabins and large screen TVs) to the Neptune suites. However, taking other things away at the same time does not make much sense to me.

Just my thoughts on the subject.

Thanks for this post.

It's always good to read an 'update' about the current features offered/expected.

I agree a large screen tv (that seems you can only see from the bed), a coffee maker and new upholstery are not sufficient to balance taking away the things we used to enjoy.

Unless I am misunderstanding (which is entirely possible), it seems other cruise lines are enhancing the suite experience and HAL is diminishing it. The things they are taking away mattered to some of us.

Edited by sail7seas

FWIW. Those extra amenities like free drinks and special dining have costs. They're not free. You pay for them.

We cancelled an Owners Suite on Allure to book a Neptune Suite on Westerdam. For the difference in price you could buy dinner for two for every night in the Pinnacle and two drink packages and still have several hundred change. We just finished an Oasis cruise in a Crown Loft Suite and the prices were similar.

We didn't cancel Allure to save money. We wanted to try a smaller ship and have always wanted to cruise on HAL.

When I say upgrade the MDR experience I guess we are referring to a separate upgraded dining environment.

The reason....because we think the MDR experience is going downhill in terms of food quality, preparation, service, and noisy environment.

We cannot see ourselves paying substantially more for say, a Neptune suite, at the same time as we feel we are getting less from the MDR. We are willing to pay more....but not when we are getting less in the dining category. Breakfast in Pinacle is probably very nice but does not justify the price delta for us.

If we pay more we expect more in tangible benefits that we value. Smoke and mirrors won't cut it.

Edited by iancal

I think I would prefer to have the class system rather than the design your own sandwich type of system. I always found ordering breakfast in the US exhausting; choose this and that, this and that! I think, whatever, bring the eggs, cooked however!!

A couple of the biggest Australian travel companies, Scenic and APT, are extremely popular with their all inclusive concept. We had a month on a Scenic tour in Sth America this year and it was very expensive but very inclusive. Having travelled every way from backpacking to this, we really liked not making decisions. Saved many an argument.

When I say upgrade the MDR experience I guess we are referring to a separate upgraded dining environment.

The reason....because we think the MDR experience is going downhill in terms of food quality, preparation, service, and noisy environment.

We cannot see ourselves paying substantially more for say, a Neptune suite, at the same time as we feel we are getting less from the MDR. We are willing to pay more....but not when we are getting less in the dining category. Breakfast in Pinacle is probably very nice but does not justify the price delta for us.

If we pay more we expect more in tangible benefits that we value. Smoke and mirrors won't cut it.

We agree. We've given up on the MDR principally because it is so noisy and so crowded. We don't like to share a table and the typical two-top is inches away from your neighbors which is almost like sharing. Neither one of us hear as well as we used too and a noisy MDR isn't helpful. If HAL does go to a suites restaurant, I hope they would avoid getting too fancy with the menu.

Are there any celebrities cruising on Celebrity? Has anyone met a celebrity on a cruise? I mean not one being paid to be there.

I have worked in country clubs and have worked for the ultra rich. The luxury they enjoy is something I never even imagined. I don't read celebrity/fan magazines, I wouldn't know a Kardashian if it slapped me, 240 ct sheets vs. 1600 ct sheets doesn't affect my sleep. and I don't LV from Fruit of the Loom. I don't covet their wealth.

I don't mind the wealthy having perks and luxury beyond my dreams. What I do mind is having it thrown into my face. Before I go for dinner at the Lido, I don't need to be told that the food at the Foo-Foo Café is much better. Should I be told that my bedding is only good enough and certainly not luxurious. Need I go to shows where the best seats are unattainable for people of my class? And most of all, I don't want my partner being constantly reminded our vacation is less than it could be. Sometimes it seems money is spent to remind economy class sucks, money that could have gone to making economy better.

As far as we are concerned Celebrity is just another run of the mill mass market cruise line.

Not really much different than HAL or Princess. Despite the name.

I have no doubt that some people would like to think of them as premium or special but we are not in that mindset. And Celebrity is high on our list of preferred cruise lines...tied with Princess as a cruise line but for us it depends on the ship.

Edited by iancal

FWIW. Those extra amenities like free drinks and special dining have costs. They're not free. You pay for them.

We cancelled an Owners Suite on Allure to book a Neptune Suite on Westerdam. For the difference in price you could buy dinner for two for every night in the Pinnacle and two drink packages and still have several hundred change. We just finished an Oasis cruise in a Crown Loft Suite and the prices were similar.

We didn't cancel Allure to save money. We wanted to try a smaller ship and have always wanted to cruise on HAL.

Of course, we are paying for those extras. There is nothing free on a cruise ship.

HAL's Neptune Suite prices are going up but the things that used to be provided as part of the Suite experience are being diminished.

This is a case of wanting what we pay for....... not expecting to get for free.

Are there any celebrities cruising on Celebrity? Has anyone met a celebrity on a cruise? I mean not one being paid to be there.

I have worked in country clubs and have worked for the ultra rich. The luxury they enjoy is something I never even imagined. I don't read celebrity/fan magazines, I wouldn't know a Kardashian if it slapped me, 240 ct sheets vs. 1600 ct sheets doesn't affect my sleep. and I don't LV from Fruit of the Loom. I don't covet their wealth.

I don't mind the wealthy having perks and luxury beyond my dreams. What I do mind is having it thrown into my face. Before I go for dinner at the Lido, I don't need to be told that the food at the Foo-Foo Café is much better. Should I be told that my bedding is only good enough and certainly not luxurious. Need I go to shows where the best seats are unattainable for people of my class? And most of all, I don't want my partner being constantly reminded our vacation is less than it could be. Sometimes it seems money is spent to remind economy class sucks, money that could have gone to making economy better.

I agree with you but do want to point out it isn't only 'the wealthy' that sail in those suites. There are people who saved for years for that experience once in their life. Maybe they are celebrating a major life event? There are those who put the charge on their credit card and pay for it months/years later. :rolleyes: But yes, there are some who can well afford that accommodation. I would be very surprised if you heard any such comments about bedding, foo foo restaurants or anything 'class related' by crew or guests. I cannot remember ever hearing such conversations.

I have to say I am totally confused by your post???

Celebrity's name does not mean Celebrities sail on that line nor would I ever expect to see one on a Mass Market Line. Although I have heard that people like Oprah have bought out The Haven on the NCL Pearl several years ago. Just my opinion you are taking the offerings to upsell to something nicer way to hard I might even say you are taking it a bit too personal which I am sorry. While you do not want to spend your hard earned money on these luxuries many of us do. I for one prefer a Suite, my own Espresso Maker in my cabin. Much prefer a specialty restaurant. I do most of this stuff because one I like it, I work hard and feel I deserve it. It is really no different than buying a Michael Kors hand bag or buying and iPad rather than a knock off no name tablet.

Life is really all about options, I work two full time jobs at 61 yrs old when I should be looking to slow down and retire. But I work because I enjoy the very nice things in life. Some people could care less about the extras while others love the offerings of some better things. The cruise lines have just found a way to make more income offering these luxury items. I certainly do not begrudge them for attempting to make more money :D

Now back to what was being discussed with HAL, unfortunately I feel HAL is still way behind when it comes to the competition for Suite offerings. They of all cruiselines have the MOST Crowded noisy Main Dining Rooms. There is nothing relaxing or elegant about it. I am only hoping with the additional Restaurants on the Koningsdam that it will not have tables so close together in the Main Dining Room. I actually applaud Celebrity for what they have added in the way of Suite amenities.

I agree with you but do want to point out it isn't only 'the wealthy' that sail in those suites. There are people who saved for years for that experience once in their life. Maybe they are celebrating a major life event? There are those who put the charge on their credit card and pay for it months/years later. :rolleyes: But yes, there are some who can well afford that accommodation. I would be very surprised if you heard any such comments about bedding, foo foo restaurants or anything 'class related' by crew or guests. I cannot remember ever hearing such conversations.

Many years ago, the rich would understate their wealth. Rolls Royce looked an awful lot like Ramblers, and Rolex and Timex didn't look so different. Today the wealthy display all their wealth, they even have shows about how rich they are. The majority begin to covet, they go into debt to have the same bling as J.Z. or commit crime to have the latest unaffordable athletic shoes. Soon the majority will resent the rich.

Same with cruising with a two class cruise system. I don't want to feel second class on my vacation.

My first cruise with HAL I got an amazing upgrade. From deep in the inner bowels to just about the top of the veranda suites! I 'd show up to the main dining room and I was given what I thought were the best seating, my cabin stewards were good looking considerate workers.

Compare to my latest outing on HAL, where I did not get an upgrade from obstructed view. The stewards were strange looking and indifferent. I'd show up to the MDR and the host would ask my room number, then I'd be led to seating that was as close to the dishwasher as any.

Even though I paid substantially less for the veranda, with the OV it seems the crew went out of their way to show me a second class experience.

I shouldn't even bother posting, I refuse to cruise again until the cruise lines stop with the cost cutting and return to adding value.

Now back to what was being discussed with HAL, unfortunately I feel HAL is still way behind when it comes to the competition for Suite offerings. They of all cruiselines have the MOST Crowded noisy Main Dining Rooms. There is nothing relaxing or elegant about it. I am only hoping with the additional Restaurants on the Koningsdam that it will not have tables so close together in the Main Dining Room. I actually applaud Celebrity for what they have added in the way of Suite amenities.

I have to disagree with you on the MDRs. I found the Celebrity S-class dining room to be very crowded -- tables very close to each other and chairs very tight. It wasn't a huge problem for us; we enjoyed the lovely setting and the "buzz", but it was certainly more noisy and more crowded than the MDRs of the HAL and Princess ships I have sailed.

Many years ago, the rich would understate their wealth. Rolls Royce looked an awful lot like Ramblers, and Rolex and Timex didn't look so different. Today the wealthy display all their wealth, they even have shows about how rich they are. The majority begin to covet, they go into debt to have the same bling as J.Z. or commit crime to have the latest unaffordable athletic shoes. Soon the majority will resent the rich.

Same with cruising with a two class cruise system. I don't want to feel second class on my vacation.

My first cruise with HAL I got an amazing upgrade. From deep in the inner bowels to just about the top of the veranda suites! I 'd show up to the main dining room and I was given what I thought were the best seating, my cabin stewards were good looking considerate workers.

Compare to my latest outing on HAL, where I did not get an upgrade from obstructed view. The stewards were strange looking and indifferent. I'd show up to the MDR and the host would ask my room number, then I'd be led to seating that was as close to the dishwasher as any.

Even though I paid substantially less for the veranda, with the OV it seems the crew went out of their way to show me a second class experience.

I shouldn't even bother posting, I refuse to cruise again until the cruise lines stop with the cost cutting and return to adding value.

Were these the only two cruise you've taken?

I've had everything from an inside to a penthouse. Yes, they are more accommodating to requests when you are in the higher end. That said in well over 300 days with Hal I've never seen the dishwasher in the MDR. I also haven't noticed a difference in looks of my stewards based on my room catagory. Some cruises have been much better than others. It's never been tied to what I paid. I've had one of my best cruises on the eurodam and one that was close to the bottom of the barrel on the same ship. Both were in veranda rooms.

I cannot believe the crew even knows what type of cabin you are in (OV vs Veranda). Maybe if you were in a Neptune or Penthouse, they could tell due to the different color cabin keys, but otherwise how would they know?

If anything, the more inexperienced crew might likely be assigned to the lower "level" cabins, thus the service may not be as good.

<snip>

If anything, the more inexperienced crew might likely be assigned to the lower "level" cabins, thus the service may not be as good.

In my conversations with cabin stewards it doesn't work that way. Stewards go home, and some join on. It's a matter of filling open spots. A very inexperienced steward could end up in the Neptune suites and vise versa.

Edited by cruz chic