New to Princess

Florry

Hello Princess Board! We have sailed for many years on P&O but have decided to break with routine/tradition and try a different line. We have booked a 3 nighter on the Emerald Princess as a trial. Whilst we will probably disembark, the primary focus is the ship, what are your 'must do' recommendations? Thanks in advance :)

A must do would be a 7 day cruise. Three days will hardly give you enough time to enjoy the ship. Plus on these very short cruises I feel you will not get the best of what Princess has to offer. Getting to know the crew, room steward, wait staff etc is a big part of it. Don't know if specialty dining will be available but the Crown Grill is outstanding. We have sailed the Emerald twice and all though it is not the newest or biggest I remember a great time and everything was as expected.

Thanks folks we will eat two nights speciality and one in the MDR. I know what you mean about 3 nights being too short but as we aren't new to cruising I think it will give us a good idea about the Princess brand. I will read as much as I can in advance [emoji106]🏼

You can't really get a full feeling of what Princess is like on a 3 night cruise, probably lots of party time. Some suggestions:

Try one of the surcharge restaurants: SHARE, by Curtis Stone, $39/pp or the Crown Grill $25/pp. Make reservations for these restaurants when you board by calling the DINE line or visiting the restaurant on the first afternoon. If you like a drink or more think about the All Inclusive Beverage Package (AIBP), $56.35/day includes all alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages priced under $10 which is around 95% of everything on board. Like wine, try Vines. They have a nice selection of wine by the glass. Get your espresso fix at the International Cafe. Wine & Espresso included in the AIBP.

Thanks folks we will eat two nights speciality and one in the MDR. I know what you mean about 3 nights being too short but as we aren't new to cruising I think it will give us a good idea about the Princess brand. I will read as much as I can in advance [emoji106]🏼
I am not a real fan of the first and last night menus so I would book the specialty dinners on those nights. While there is no formal night on your cruise they may have one of the formal night menus the second night.

After Priority boarding, regular boarding should start around noon. Get to the port early enough, around 10:30 to 11:00, to get in one of the earlier boarding groups. One of the dining rooms should be open for lunch from noon to 1:30 and it is a much better way to start your cruise than the Horizon Court Buffet. After you board, you can drop off any carryons in you cabin and check the back page of the Patter to see which DR, usually midship Fiesta deck 6, is open for lunch.

There should also be a table set up outside the Crown Grill on Promenade deck 7 where you can look at specialty restaurant menus and make reservations. They might also have the menus for the main dining rooms for your cruise.

The Emerald also has the Salty Dog Gastropub in the Wheelhouse Bar in the evening. The small bites menu is $19. On a three day cruise you won't be able to try the dining room, the Salty Dog, the Crown Grill and SHARE for dinner.

Edited by IECalCruiser

Three days will hardly give you enough time to enjoy the ship. Plus on these very short cruises I feel you will not get the best of what Princess has to offer. Getting to know the crew, room steward, wait staff etc is a big part of it.

I don't care to know the crew other than polite formalities, these are not my friends.

Hello Princess Board! We have sailed for many years on P&O but have decided to break with routine/tradition and try a different line. We have booked a 3 nighter on the Emerald Princess as a trial. Whilst we will probably disembark, the primary focus is the ship, what are your 'must do' recommendations? Thanks in advance :)

1. Vines wine bar to try the tapas or sushi with a glass of wine.

2. Chefs Table. Not sure if it is available on such a short cruise - but it's excellent.

3. Buy cruise credits for OBC on your next Princess cruise.

4. Crown Grill for excellent steaks - choose your meat from the trolley that is brought to your table, and try the 3 different varieties of salt(!)

5. Compare the ship to Azura / Ventura. I think Princess have done a better job of decor and facilities.

6. Take a large plank of wood, place it over the pool, make anyone with the initials GCH walk the plank and post photos on facebook.

1. Vines wine bar to try the tapas or sushi with a glass of wine.

2. Chefs Table. Not sure if it is available on such a short cruise - but it's excellent.

3. Buy cruise credits for OBC on your next Princess cruise.

4. Crown Grill for excellent steaks - choose your meat from the trolley that is brought to your table, and try the 3 different varieties of salt(!)

5. Compare the ship to Azura / Ventura. I think Princess have done a better job of decor and facilities.

6. Take a large plank of wood, place it over the pool, make anyone with the initials GCH walk the plank and post photos on facebook.

Lol looking forward to number 6

The international cafe on deck 5 is brilliant. Unlike the coffee shop in P&O all the food (apart from the gelato) is free on Princess and it's open 24 hours.

They have great breakfast lunch and evening offerings

Edited by jackieo

Hi Florry,

I'm on that one, a roll call is in progress.

Couple of differences you will find; there is no kettle or tea/coffee making facilities in your cabin. There is a selection of drinks in your fridge which you may have topped up or added to by your cabin steward. I think you can order tea/coffee by room service but I never have tried this so do not really know.

If you use the Buffet at any point; you may find staff assisting you in locating free tables for you and when they ask you "would you like a drink?", this is not only alcoholic and soft drinks purchases but also includes them making you a cup of tea or coffee.

Princess has "Anytime Dining" (known as Freedom Dining on P&O); plus 1st and 2nd sitting traditional, plus an "Extra Early 1st Sitting at something like 5.45pm in one of the restaurants. After that; in that restaurant, there is no 2nd sitting as it becomes an Anytime Dining venue.

They have a deck Pizza bar but they do them by slice not whole small Pizza each like P&O but they have a proper serious Pizza place for a serious luncheon in a decent location.

Overall this line is very similar to P&O but a bit more polite and upmarket.

Regards John

Edited by john watson

Hi Florry,

I'm on that one, a roll call is in progress.

Couple of differences you will find; there is no kettle or tea/coffee making facilities in your cabin. There is a selection of drinks in your fridge which you may have topped up or added to by your cabin steward. I think you can order tea/coffee by room service but I never have tried this so do not really know.

If you use the Buffet at any point; you may find staff assisting you in locating free tables for you and when they ask you "would you like a drink?", this is not only alcoholic and soft drinks purchases but also includes them making you a cup of tea or coffee.

Princess has "Anytime Dining" (known as Freedom Dining on P&O); plus 1st and 2nd sitting traditional, plus an "Extra Early 1st Sitting at something like 5.45pm in one of the restaurants. After that; in that restaurant, there is no 2nd sitting as it becomes an Anytime Dining venue.

They have a deck Pizza bar but they do them by slice not whole small Pizza each like P&O but they have a proper serious Pizza place for a serious luncheon in a decent location.

Overall this line is very similar to P&O but a bit more polite and upmarket.

Regards John

Thanks John, I'm pleased I posted now - learning quite a lot [emoji4] hope to see you onboard!

Thanks John, I'm pleased I posted now - learning quite a lot [emoji4] hope to see you onboard!

Nice of you to say so Florry. If you like P&O you will love Princess, they were at one time a single company: P&O Princess.

Regards John

Edited by john watson

I've just been looking at the cruise personaliser, can't see the option to pre book restaurants yet, perhaps a bit too soon.

Hi there

You can't pre book speciality restaurants prior to boarding with Princess so you will need to dial the DINE line as soon as you get onboard or sometimes we go directly to the speciality restaurant and they have head waiter manning the entrance to take bookings.

Hi there

You can't pre book speciality restaurants prior to boarding with Princess so you will need to dial the DINE line as soon as you get onboard or sometimes we go directly to the speciality restaurant and they have head waiter manning the entrance to take bookings.

Ah ok, I made an assumption you could do both, but now I know, Thank you.

Thanks for posting this thread Florry. We too are trying Princess after a lot of P and O Cruises so any advice is helpful!:)

I assume, ann, you have looked at the P&O Cruises UK thread titled: "When do loyalty points start?" and followed the instructions therein regarding the Princess Cruise Line.

Regards John

Edited by john watson