Summer cruises, WHY

sassy~one

We have given up on cruises this year because of the rates. We typically do 4-5 a year on Regent and Oceania. We saved enough money to buy a new car to tow behind our motorhome. In past years we have been on the road for 30 days and total cost is between 2200-2500 excluding food. I can do 5-6 states in that time without overdoing it on the driving. Might be a way to go and the kids will see a lot.

Edited by rvmike

Taking the children out of school may not be a viable option. Many school districts have very strict rules regarding how many days students can miss and still receive credit. In the school systems where I have works, with the exception of medical absences documented by a doctor's note, student could only miss 10 days per semester else they received a failing grade.

As an educator and a mom, I don't understand how this is possible.

We sailed with our sons when they were of school age. We never took them out of school so we had limited weeks to sail. We cruised for relaxation and to spend time together. We took taxis to beaches, where we spent our days in the ocean. They didn't learn anything that would help them later in life those days. They did try different foods in the main dining room at night, so I guess they learned to be adventurous eaters. They ordered room service. We taught them to tip the crew member who delivered their snacks. We saw shows and comedians together. Maybe they learned not to be chair hogs?

While we have precious memories of our five cruises together, I don't see how the boys learned anything more than they did while in school.

Your choice to relax on a beach. Lots of history everywhere if you want to find it. We always find museums or other places of interest to see and do.

..., I do see a lot of educational value in traveling.

I'm a teacher, a mom, and a former home school mom. There is more to the world than listening to a teacher talk!

...I am a firm believer a couple missed days of school for those experiences are well worth it!!

Traveling to other places is way more educational then school.

Well, there you have it. Other opinions agree. And don't take this wrong, but you being a teacher can be a little biased.

We have taken our kids on many a cruise when they were in school. Talked to the teachers and was given assignments to work on during down time. Have to say, never got a discouraging word from any of the Admin/Teachers, as they agreed the experience the kids received was educational.

Edited by HawkIVette

Taking the children out of school may not be a viable option. Many school districts have very strict rules regarding how many days students can miss and still receive credit. In the school systems where I have works, with the exception of medical absences documented by a doctor's note, student could only miss 10 days per semester else they received a failing grade.

Not trying to argue this, but even 10 days a semester (or 20 days a school year), is a lot. That's 4 weeks a year. A week long cruise is not asking too much.

Take the kids out of school. They will learn more on a cruise than they will miss out on in school for a week.

What exactly will the learn on a cruise? How to slide down a water slide? Make sand castles on the beach? Unless the tour is an educational tour, with an instructor and a very hands on approach, they will learn nothing but how to have fun.

Not trying to argue this, but even 10 days a semester (or 20 days a school year), is a lot. That's 4 weeks a year. A week long cruise is not asking too much.

1 whole week out of 2 seems to be a lot to many. Many teachers are not "required" to offer make up work once in MS or HS for unexcused absence which a cruise is.

Well, there you have it. Other opinions agree. And don't take this wrong, but you being a teacher can be a little biased.

We have taken our kids on many a cruise when they were in school. Talked to the teachers and was given assignments to work on during down time. Have to say, never got a discouraging word from any of the Admin/Teachers, as they agreed the experience the kids received was educational.

When we took DD out of school, two weeks in her Junior year, the Principal thought she was crazy NOT to go. Teacher's weren't happy because it was the second and third week of school.

What exactly will the learn on a cruise? How to slide down a water slide? Make sand castles on the beach? Unless the tour is an educational tour, with an instructor and a very hands on approach, they will learn nothing but how to have fun.

Play time is learning time. Lots of physics and engineering skills needed to build sand castles. Lots of discussion in the education community about the lack of play time in the younger grades. K students are now doing what previous generations did in second grade.

Learning about other cultures is very educational. Some of the best places to do this are markets and non-touristy shops.

We also only cruise/vacation in summer now. I tried the missing school thing when my oldest was in 6th grade (middle school here). Lugging his books with us and having to sit every night to work on math, science, etc was not fun (for him or me). He also had a difficult time catching up in math from the class time he missed.

My youngest is in 7th grade now and he is adamant that he not miss school because it's too difficult to catch up. A lot of his work is now computer based and can be time consuming. We will continue to vacation in the summer until he is in college (unless he wants to vacation with us and then we will continue with summer until he is a real grown up with vacation time and a paycheck). Oldest is in college now and has wanted to work/take classes instead of travel for the time-being.

So, yeah I get frustrated at the cheap prices I see in the off season too but I know that I can't take advantage of it until youngest is out of the nest. I value our time together on vacation too much as well. I do not want to do school work or a project or an essay while I am relaxing away from the stress of "real life". I'll gladly pay more, save longer, cut back at home so we can all have a wonderful vacation together.

Kids do not learn as much, I do not take my kids out if school. Yes, they get great experiences and can see historical places, other cultures, foods, etc but it's not the same as formal education. My opinion (Ph.d and 2 masters degrees), but while the learning and exposure is great, it is not the same, especially if they have to go back to an organized, educational experience. Our district, very highly rated, even allows to get their work and not be considered absent, if they miss 5 consecutive days. None of my kids, esp. The high schooler and middle schooler want to take advantage of the possibility, too stressful. And the teachers, even though they have to do it, dislike it. It's hard to miss an entire week of Algebra 2, and think that going to Cozumel, is the same thing. I don't like paying more, but we do

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are lots of posts about whether or not to take your kids out of school. We have done it and saved money with an off season cruise. We've also cruised peak season. I book far in advance and check for price drops regularly when this is the case.

Every. Single. School is different with regards to taking kids out. For us, we didn't have to bring any work with us for the cruise and they were given plenty of make up time. I definitely would not have taken them out if homework came with us. That's just me. Our last cruise taking them out was sophomore year. Their grad cruise will be in the summer.

Also, vacation times are different for teachers across the country. Our teachers get paid time off they can use during times classes are in and I've cruised off peak with teachers taking time off while school was in session.

For all of these reasons and more you will see kids year round on cruises but of course high demand is summer and they'll charge for it.

Ours are only allowed 5. This February, my son will be missing those 5 days for the third year in a row. He has also missed school to go hunting, to play sports, or just because he was worn out from a rough night. I am not going to say they can learn more on a cruise than a week in school, but they can surely learn different things than they will ever learn in school.

Before anyone flames me, I too am a school board employee. I work the same as a teacher. I am a bus driver. My best friends are teachers. We cruise the last week of July for our last hoorah before school starts back. I knew when I took the job that I would only work about seven months out of the year...this was a perk for me.

To the OP, rates seem to drop a little the last week of July. Good luck in whatever vacay you choose.

As an educator and a mom, I don't understand how this is possible.

We sailed with our sons when they were of school age. We never took them out of school so we had limited weeks to sail. We cruised for relaxation and to spend time together. We took taxis to beaches, where we spent our days in the ocean. They didn't learn anything that would help them later in life those days. They did try different foods in the main dining room at night, so I guess they learned to be adventurous eaters. They ordered room service. We taught them to tip the crew member who delivered their snacks. We saw shows and comedians together. Maybe they learned not to be chair hogs?

While we have precious memories of our five cruises together, I don't see how the boys learned anything more than they did while in school.

Wow, I am surprised that the trips weren't made a learning experience. I am taking my Grands in late May and have put together booklets for them with information and pictures about the ports and ship; I ordered a book about the ports for kids for them to read in advance; I have pages in the book for them to write down things each day about what they enjoyed/learned/etc. on the ship or at the port and what they saw in the port from the book. They will be taught about the crew and the different countries and have the opportunity to interact with those individuals, not to mention actually visit another country, something many never get to do. They will learn that others are not as fortunate as they are as well when they do read about and visit another country. Hopefully this will help teach them to appreciate what they have in the good ole USA.

We will participate in the St. Jude's activities, where they will be taught about charity and giving to others, which unfortunately, they already know something about having lost a schoolmate and friend last year to childhood cancer.

I am sure there are many more examples of teaching opportunities I am not mentioning. Oh yes, they will learn some patience waiting in lines.....

I do consider the cruise, and any travel, education. My son had the opportunity to travel with us for many business trips growing up and it had a great influence on him. True life geography lessons for one! I will not go so far as to say they will learn MORE on a cruise than in a classroom, but they will learn, they will learn differently and they will learn about other cultures, life, meet new people from whom they can learn, etc.

If they are taken out of school, I would suggest finding out a time frame that would not jeopardize testing, etc. I would make the cruise a learning experience and I would find out from their teacher what they can do to bring that back to the classroom. They would also know they would still be responsible for homework and catching up on anything they missed in school. And, the teacher would know about the trip in advance.

Hi there, why are the costs so high? I'm only able to sail with my grand daughter last week of june or the month of july.

Do you have any tips on how to sail at a less expencive cost?

thanks

Supply and demand. They can in most instances command those fares and get them. But not always. We once did a summer cruise to Florida and the Bahamas. The low fares unfortunately dragged out the cheap cruisers, and ruined it. Learned our lesson well.

Supply and demand. They can in most instances command those fares and get them. But not always. We once did a summer cruise to Florida and the Bahamas. The low fares unfortunately dragged out the cheap cruisers, and ruined it. Learned our lesson well.

Please define "cheap cruisers" and explain how folks on a monetary budget "ruined" a cruise for you?

Hi there, why are the costs so high? I'm only able to sail with my grand daughter last week of june or the month of july.

Do you have any tips on how to sail at a less expencive cost?

thanks

I feel you, but I'm married to a teacher and have a school aged daughter, we can cruise only in late June or early July.

Don't schools usually have 4 weeks off during the school year? 2 in December/January. 1 in February. 1 in March/April.

Being a teacher doesn't mean you can ONLY cruise during the summer. Enjoy your cruises!

Winter Break = the most expensive time to cruise (even more than summer)

Personally, we choose summer so we don't have to pay for airfare because we have only 1 week to vacation around the fall or spring break. Sorry, but adding in $2000 to fly over driving, as we do in summer, would negate any savings by cruising on their other breaks. It's all a personal choice. My family chooses to pay a bit more for the cruise, save on airfare and not do homework on our family vacation. Others may not care about those things and that is great for them.

Welcome to the life of school teacher. Work for less money and have to pay more for vacations because you can only travel during peak times.

Being in education doesn't mean paying for more vacations & traveling during peak times. I know plenty of people not in education who pay a fortune for their vacations - land or sea because they choose to only travel during the summer.

Look at the school calendar for some long weekends like:

Columbus day

ML King birthday

President's Day

Are they out of school at those times? Can they take an extra day before or after the long weekend? Those dates are a bit more in the "off-season" and could save you some $$.

> Have they accrued a lot of personal days they could take during the school year? Maybe a shorter cruise that starts on Thursday & ends early in the following week?

> Also check cruises that leave right when school is out. Like hand out those reports cards & jump in the car to the port! :D

My hubby is an administrator / educator of 18 yrs. We are fortunate to have a week of fall break & that is when we do our cruising. It is a great value at that time of year.

Get creative & good luck!

Edited by lilchief27
spelling

Look at the school calendar for some long weekends like:

Columbus day

ML King birthday

President's Day

Are they out of school at those times? Can they take an extra day before or after the long weekend? Those dates are a bit more in the "off-season" and could save you some $$.

> Have they accrued a lot of personal days they could take during the school year? Maybe a shorter cruise that starts on Thursday & ends early in the following week?

> Also check cruises that leave right when school is out. Like hand out those reports cards & jump in the car to the port! :D

My hubby is an administrator / educator of 18 yrs. We are fortunate to have a week of fall break & that is when we do our cruising. It is a great value at that time of year.

Get creative & good luck!

I've been an educator for 32 years and I've never had a fall break :( Most school districts will only allow 3 or 4 personal days per year and because I teach a rigorous course with a culminating national exam I would never take off that much time for a vacation during the school year. I'm pretty sure that parents would be unhappy with me being gone for a week. I cruise when it's expensive, it is what it is. :D

Although I agree that traveling can be very educational, you may not be learning what you NEED to know at that particular time. I have had students miss a week or two of classes, which means they possibly missed an entire math or science unit. This is difficult, especially in math, since so much of what you do is dependent on what you learned before. For lots of kids it is really difficult to catch up. To be honest, most teachers don't have the spare time to teach an entire unit over again for just one child. It's frustrating for the student and the teacher. With older kids, they may miss a science lab that cannot be set up again. There's a lot to consider before you pull your kids out.

I do sympathize with the OP though, we are stuck traveling summers or spring/winter break. I look forward to the day when we can travel when we want to, not when we have to.