Carnival Mixed Drinks

RobinKY

I wondered about the diluting possibility above in my posts. Likely not happening but bar managers who work behind the scenes could be compensated on how they control costs. If they dilute or as someone else mentioned put lower grade/proof alcohols in the higher costs bottles, that would certainly cut down on costs. If they dilute by 10-20%, think about how much that saves them over the course of the year in their alcohol budget. I don't think these ships sit idle much.

I was having 8-12ish drinks/day (4-6 poolside then 4-8 b4, during and after dinner) which is A LOT more than I do at home. I was maybe "buzzed" on a couple occasions (usually when sticking to beer) and I never had a hangover the next day which I tend to get fairly often at home, even after 4-6 drinks.

I find the opposite - all I seem to taste is the alcohol. I'm to the point of ordering virgin drinks if they are made with rum (love the mocha chocolate getaway and the pina colava but hate the taste of rum).

I think not feeling the impact of the frozen drinks have more to do with the mix and the ice - the alcohol effect is tempers like if you drank a milkshake and then took a shot. The liquor is being digested along with the dairy product that takes the stomach a longer time to process and slows down the digestion of the alcohol.

If you want to feel a great impact, skip the frozen cocktails and switch to something with a quick digestible mixer.

I wondered about the diluting possibility above in my posts. Likely not happening but bar managers who work behind the scenes could be compensated on how they control costs. If they dilute or as someone else mentioned put lower grade/proof alcohols in the higher costs bottles, that would certainly cut down on costs. If they dilute by 10-20%, think about how much that saves them over the course of the year in their alcohol budget. I don't think these ships sit idle much.

I was having 8-12ish drinks/day (4-6 poolside then 4-8 b4, during and after dinner) which is A LOT more than I do at home. I was maybe "buzzed" on a couple occasions (usually when sticking to beer) and I never had a hangover the next day which I tend to get fairly often at home, even after 4-6 drinks.

See I look at it this way. When I'm at home having a drink (or out with friends, etc.) I'm starting at a stress level of 75, a couple of drinks has a good impact and drops that stress level down to 40 - feels like a big impact.

When I'm on a cruise, my stress level is already down to 50 so a couple of drinks dropping it to 40, doesn't feel like much of a change.

Plus, I'm eating more, drinking some non-alcoholic stuff in there (like water or soda), moving around more, staying up later and then sleeping in - all things that are going to lessen the impact of the alcohol and reduce my chances of feeling a hangover.

Although I always really enjoy them, the tropical blended type drinks seem very weak. My DH cams them frou-frou drinks. By the end of the cruise I have cut back due to feeling like all I'm getting is sugar and calories. I can drink 4 of those in succession and do not feel a thing.

Now, alchemy bar, those drinks are a different story.

I am sorry but I do not feel at all that Carnival is stiffing alcohol on people's drinks, thats bogus because I would be the first one to complain....I want a drink filled to the rim (always is), I want to taste the alcohol (always excellent), I don't want it watered down (never is, but I don't drink frozen drinks)....I sit at the bar talking to people all the time, and never did I see any bartender stiff alcohol in anybody's drink, they always made the drinks perfectly....sorry, but I am a toughie when it comes to this and we always get the Cheers program and never had a bad drink ever.

Funny you mentioned this as we just got off the Sunshine and I thought the same thing. I had 2 frozen drinks last week and my initial thought was there was absolutely no alcohol in the drink. And I am one that has maybe 2 drinks per week at home, and maybe 2-3 drinks per day on a cruise

The whole point of a sweet frozen drink is to not taste the alcohol. I am a bartender and have spent my life listening to guests saying there isnt any alcohol in their frozen drink. It is nonsense. It has the the 1.25 or 1.5 oz in it. Its mixed with lots of sweet mixer in a tall glass that takes you longer to drink. Therefore you feel the effects at a slower rate. If your point is to get hammered, then switch to a shot of neat liquor, a shot... or pay for a double.

As to grey goose not getting the OP drunk, well maybe they were and didnt realize it. Ask the bartender that served you what they thought lol:p

Disreputable places replace premiums with low quality, never heard of watering down, except by high schoolers to the parents booze, as the taste is obvious to most. I find it unlikely that Carnival would risk their alcohol license , their highest profit item, to engage in this activity.

Can I ask for Meyers Rum for my pina coladas and Patron for my margaritas with the Alcohol Package?

Thank you.

We have done Cheers package every CCL cruise. A couple of times the bartender included the Petron margarita as under $10 and a couple times they charged us the full price since it was over $10. I think generally it is over the $10 limit. I will tell you the Petron margarita tasted much better and we actually felt something vs the house brand margarita.

I've watched them make all kind of drinks and they over pour the jigger. I've also seen them open new bottles of liquor and can hear the seal being broken. I really don't think they are watering down drinks.

What I do think happens on frozen drinks is that they put the correct amount of liquor in the blender but end up adding too much ice and mixer. So when they pour the drink there is still a considerable amount of the frozen cocktail left in the blender which makes your drink contain less alcohol than it should.

I think you nailed it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wife and I went to all inclusive resort years back. Ordered the good tasty, icy drinks the first couple of nights. While we didn't feel the alcohol at all, we did feel the ice sitting in our stomachs. We didn't feel good because we were not used to drinking all that crushed ice. We learned after that that we needed to order non-frozen drinks. The next night we were feeling the alcohol and our stomachs felt better the next morning, well.....sort of. They may have hurt because of the alcohol after that. :p

To summarize, I think it has something to do with all the ice that's in those drinks.

Not sure what is going on, but I'm a long time Carnival cruiser and used to Bar tend private parties back in College. I love to watch drinks being mixed...my last cruise in Sept I noticed the LIT was off...tasted all wrong...I realized they were pouring two liquors at a time into same shot glass...essentially you 4 half shots and 1 full shot....messed the taste up completely....yes I believe CCL has cut back on shot size to save $$. JMO Never got buzzed the whole 7 day cruise.