United Economy Plus

leennp

I have a question regarding United Economy plus that even after reading through the United website, I am still confused on. If you book a Economy plus seat, do you still pay a fee for the first checked bag? If says in description of economy plus essentials you get economy plus seat and additional checked bag?? Trying to decide the actual cost difference between economy plus versus first/business class for a one way from Vancouver to MSY and whether I pay a bag fee or not for the economy plus seat would factor in, since no fee for first.

All you get is the seat. No early boarding, no fee bag. E+ Essentials is different. It gets you a free checked bag.

If you want to avoid checked bag fee, simply gate check your bag.

Edited by 6rugrats

All you get is the seat. No early boarding, no fee bag. E+ Essentials is different. It gets you a free checked bag.

If you want to avoid checked bag fee, simply gate check your bag.

Are you advocating taking the non-"legal" carryon-size suitcase through TSA and then getting it pink tagged??? Or are you talking about pink tagging a legal-size carryon?

Are you advocating taking the non-"legal" carryon-size suitcase through TSA and then getting it pink tagged??? Or are you talking about pink tagging a legal-size carryon?

Would this make a difference for you?

I can only say, have you ever read any of my posts in the past? What do you think?

Edited by 6rugrats

I have no idea what pink tagging is, but usually TSA screeners stop you if you try to take a suitcase which is too big for a carry-on through screening. It is perfectly acceptable to gate check a bag if you decide not to carry it on or even to avoid paying a checked bag fee.

get the Ual CC get the AA CC. both offer free checked bags... and in just the sign up you get 30,000 ual and 50,000 AA miles....... First year free.

Economy plus... gets cheaper and cheaper the closer you get to departure

Get the card.. use 20,000 for an up grade to first and save the bag fee.

Other smart things are get the Marriott cc get 30,000 hotel points and a free night every year. Gee it costs $95..... and you get a 200 a night room for that. Not to mention the $ 30,000 can get you 2 to 3 free nights also.

First class domestic isnt worth squat it all depends on the type aircraft you fly

If your in the traveing mode for the next few years get smart make every dollar get you 2 invalue.

Economy plus... gets cheaper and cheaper the closer you get to departure.

No, the price for E+ is fixed. The price doesn't go down the closer you get to departure. Perhaps you are seeing the more desirable seats taken (exit row, aisle, which cost more) so the price for the remaining middle seats, which was always cheaper, makes it appear the price went down.

But, it did not.

I have no idea what pink tagging is, but usually TSA screeners stop you if you try to take a suitcase which is too big for a carry-on through screening. It is perfectly acceptable to gate check a bag if you decide not to carry it on or even to avoid paying a checked bag fee.

We'll have to agree to disagree on that one. To me it's a loophole that a lot of people use to intentionally avoid bag fees, and I suspect if more people start doing it the airlines will wise up and not permit it.

IMHO, the "acceptable" reasons to gate check a bag are these:

1. It's done at the gate agent's request because the overheads are full, or likely to be.

2. The plane is on a regional jet and normal carry-on size bags won't fit in the overhead.

In scenario #1, the bags are checked through to the final destination where you collect them from the baggage carousel.

In scenario #2, the bags are only checked through to the end of that particular flight segment, and you collect them either on the tarmac after deplaning or in the jetway after they are sent up, and then you carry them with you to your next flight segment. These bags get a pink "valet" tag, hence the term "pink tagging."

I can't think of a single flight I've been on in the last year where the GA hasn't asked for people to gate check bags, or where the overhead bin space wasn't completely full, even on Southwest.

The airlines are well aware people bring their bags to the gate to avoid paying the checked bag fees.

"No, customers are not guaranteed [an overhead] space. However, if the carry-on bag is within the size limits we will gate check the item free of charge," said United spokesman Charles Hobart."

Think they've already "wised up". It's hard enough to get flights out on time; can't imagine them actually stopping to collect bag payments at the gate. UA uses green tags for gate checked bags that will be waiting after deplaning, so I can see confusion about "pink tagging".

If the airlines don't want people to gate check, they'll have to stop allowing people to bring bags on board. Maybe that's next.

Edited by 6rugrats

I can't think of a single flight I've been on in the last year where the GA hasn't asked for people to gate check bags, or where the overhead bin space wasn't completely full, even on Southwest.

The airlines are well aware people bring their bags to the gate to avoid paying the checked bag fees.

"No, customers are not guaranteed [an overhead] space. However, if the carry-on bag is within the size limits we will gate check the item free of charge," said United spokesman Charles Hobart."

Think they've already "wised up". It's hard enough to get flights out on time; can't imagine them actually stopping to collect bag payments at the gate. UA uses green tags for gate checked bags that will be waiting after deplaning, so I can see confusion about "pink tagging".

If the airlines don't want people to gate check, they'll have to stop allowing people to bring bags on board. Maybe that's next.

If airlines were concerned about boarding time efficiency they would be charging for carry on bags and allow people to check one free bag. With a 50 lb limit of course. ;)

No, the price for E+ is fixed. The price doesn't go down the closer you get to departure. Perhaps you are seeing the more desirable seats taken (exit row, aisle, which cost more) so the price for the remaining middle seats, which was always cheaper, makes it appear the price went down.

But, it did not.

I have seen the prices for the same seats in economy plus reduced like 48 hours prior to a flight..... This includes ALL unsold window, aisle and center and exit row.

As for paying for a bag...its not rocket science to get a credit card that not only gives you 1 to 2 bags no charge, but gives you priority boarding and in some cases premier upgrades to economy plus for no charge..

Marriott, if your a Platinum level, gives you UAL premier silver, just for hotel stays

Yes it is a game... but if your interested in traveling in your life, its a game you need to learn how to play. People who dont take the time to learn pay the price... don't you be one....get smart

We'll have to agree to disagree on that one. To me it's a loophole that a lot of people use to intentionally avoid bag fees, and I suspect if more people start doing it the airlines will wise up and not permit it.

IMHO, the "acceptable" reasons to gate check a bag are these:

1. It's done at the gate agent's request because the overheads are full, or likely to be.

2. The plane is on a regional jet and normal carry-on size bags won't fit in the overhead.

In scenario #1, the bags are checked through to the final destination where you collect them from the baggage carousel.

In scenario #2, the bags are only checked through to the end of that particular flight segment, and you collect them either on the tarmac after deplaning or in the jetway after they are sent up, and then you carry them with you to your next flight segment. These bags get a pink "valet" tag, hence the term "pink tagging."

Your opinion is fine, but it has nothing to do with airline policy. People have been gate checking bags for years to avoid paying baggage fees and the airlines are well aware of this. There is no way the airlines can stop this unless they prohibit all carry on bags. How many times have you been sitting at a gate and the GA has asked for people to voluntarily gate check bags? Personally I don't care what other people do.

BTW, all airlines do not use pink tags.

I have seen the prices for the same seats in economy plus reduced like 48 hours prior to a flight..... This includes ALL unsold window, aisle and center and exit row.

I disagree; UA does not discount E+ seats closer to the flight date. Besides, all those empty E+ seats are snapped up by lower level UA frequent flyers who have to wait until 24 hours before flight time to get them for free.

Your opinion is fine, but it has nothing to do with airline policy. People have been gate checking bags for years to avoid paying baggage fees and the airlines are well aware of this. There is no way the airlines can stop this unless they prohibit all carry on bags. How many times have you been sitting at a gate and the GA has asked for people to voluntarily gate check bags? Personally I don't care what other people do.

BTW, all airlines do not use pink tags.

Sorry Grandma - I only fly DL and they have had pink tags forever, hence my "pink tag" mention. I did plane-side check my bag last year with United (one of their tiny commuters SFO-SBA) - I just checked it and it is indeed a green tag. My apologies for using a common DL idiom for an across-the-board comment.

I have no issue with someone plane-side checking (is that better???) a legal carry-on-size bag because he does not want to risk having to put it underneath the seat due to full bins. I do this frequently on full flights. But, I have a major issue with people who bring in bigger bags to avoid paying the "yes, I cannot pack in a carryon plus personal item" fee. And, I have no issue with the GAs charging the normal fee to that idiot or the idiot is denied boarding...

I fly UA a lot, and I have never seen the price reduced on E+. Ever.

As for paying for a bag...its not rocket science to get a credit card that not only gives you 1 to 2 bags no charge, but gives you priority boarding and in some cases premier upgrades to economy plus for no charge..

Just curious, what UA branded card gives you free upgrades to E+?

Marriott, if your a Platinum level, gives you UAL premier silver, just for hotel stays

What good is UA silver for hotel stays?

Just curious, what UA branded card gives you free upgrades to E+?

What good is UA silver for hotel stays?

sometimes you can use 2 programs to work together for your benefit.

Marriott and UAL explorer..... both give me ups...been in both programs since the start........ everyone needs to start in a porgram and show loyality..it pays

Bottomline I dont even consider a hotel or airline that I have not gotten into their program As said before, jumping from this to that for a few dollars now, shorts you in the longrun. Penny wise is pound foolish I have found.

You have to look at where you live, where in your life time you think you might ever go and settle on a long term plan.........

sometimes you can use 2 programs to work together for your benefit.

Marriott and UAL explorer..... both give me ups...been in both programs since the start........ everyone needs to start in a porgram and show loyality..it pays

Bottomline I dont even consider a hotel or airline that I have not gotten into their program As said before, jumping from this to that for a few dollars now, shorts you in the longrun. Penny wise is pound foolish I have found.

You have to look at where you live, where in your life time you think you might ever go and settle on a long term plan.........

It's not clear to me what exactly you are saying. You haven't told us what UA branded card will give you free E+ access; don't get that with the Explorer Card.

Edited by 6rugrats

I mostly disagree. Given where the airline and hotel programs are today, your viewpoint made sense for people who got in on "the game" decades ago and no longer make sense for anyone except the top 1% of most heavily traveled people. Lots of people got lifetime status on American through credit card miles - no longer possible. I travel a lot for work and pleasure and it's barely worthwhile anymore (basically, IMHO, if you fly < 50,000 miles/year or < 50 flights/year, don't even bother with airline status, just get the right credit cards).

We should be loyal to those we love. Not to an airline or hotel. The airline and hotel aren't going to love you back.

Economy Plus on UA is not an upgrade and there is no UA branded credit card which gives you access to free E+ seats.

Economy Plus on UA is not an upgrade and there is no UA branded credit card which gives you access to free E+ seats.

My marriott andMarriott business card use and platinum status gives premier status with UAL. and UAL gives comp upgrades space avail. and I payfor the cheap room at Marriott and get both meals and a suite given .

I am one of the guys who has been in the hotel and airline game since it started... and standardized on one airline for everything and one hotel brand

Itis harder to get miles except by cc,but not being in the program of specific brands does in the long run bite you........thats my experience

• 2 weeks later...

If you are up to Platinum with Marriott you may well get benefits bottom tier people don't. The standard UA Explorer card gives you one free bag per person and a a bit of priority in the boarding line. Nothing more. The best thing United has ever given me, a 25+year Elite/Premier flyer, was the chance to fly Air New Zealand in Premium Economy. United could learn a thing or three from ANZ.