Question about Anthem of the Seas Sofa Beds

ptooth

We sailed in a balcony cabin on deck 11 in June. My two teens, DD age 14 & 5'7 and my DS age 15 & 5'9. The two shared the sofa bed. I can confirm that the sofa bed is definitely larger than a double bed, and is the size of a queen bed. My kids each had their own top sheet and blanket, and had plenty of room. My daughter complained the bed was hard and that it was the worst bed she has slept in all of her 9 cruises (she typically gets the top pull down bunk on Carnival and NCL). However, the hardness of the sofa bed did not bother my son one bit. My best description of the sofa mattress is highly dense, non-compressible foam wrapped around a steel tube!

With that said, the quad cabin sleeping arrangement is a huge negative when deciding if we will book another Quantum class ship. The ship is already more expensive than most cruises, and if we had to book two cabins instead of one... it will put this ship out of the running.

The sofa bed is next to the balcony. Although the pathway to the balcony was tight, it was manageable and not a problem.

20160615_221344_zpsgnqvo0rs.jpg

I found another photo of the cabin. This pic was taken on the first day before we unpacked. The sofa is in the back right.

20160611_130955_zpsaoi7ltef.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Thanks for the great feedback... Our family of 4 like to travel together, and the bedding availability for a quad cabin may make this our first and last trip on the Anthem :(

I wish we could afford a suite.... Maybe we could have one person sleep on the sofa without opening it up as a bed, and ask our cabin attendant to bring us a roll away bed. :confused::confused::confused:

My two sisters and I are cruising on Anthem next year and will share a balcony cabin and rotate the sofa bed. With not sure what to expect and know how uncomfortably hard the sofa bed was on other RCCL ships, I purchased a travel mattress topper from amazon. It was on sale for $94., and has great reviews by people that use them on the floor, so I decided to go for it. It is 4 inches thick and folds tri-fold and comes with a travel bag which I will bring as another suite case. I think it is worth it and will bring it every time we have more that two people in a cabin on future cruises, unless there are enough pull downs of course. The ship has egg shell toppers and even with two of them, they did not make the sofa bed anymore comfortable.

Edited by Irene7

As already suggested - price out either 2 connecting Ocean View rooms or one OceanView and an Inside across the hall. It will be the same cost, if not cheaper, than booking all 4 of you in one cabin. Don't ask me why that is, but that's how it was in May and for our next May sailing on Anthem.

Definitely look into 2 inside connecting staterooms. I had originally booked an obstructed balcony room for my family of 4 (11 and 14 year old kids would share the sofa bed) for our February cruise on Anthem. After reading all of the negative comments about the sofa bed for 2 teens, and With the 30% off sale they have now I changed to 2 connecting inside rooms for on $125 more then it was for the balcony room. I am so glad I changed it. We will now have a bigger space and two bathrooms for the 4 of us.

• 1 month later...
Check the price of a jr. family suite, it might equal the two interior rooms. They have some with pullman and sofa. We just upgraded to a guarantee jr suite and that's what we got.

I did the same thing about a week ago - we were booked in two interior rooms and then the Junior Suite Guarantee popped up. It was about $500 more than the two connecting rooms, but for a good-sized balcony and Coastal Kitchen for dinner we felt it was a good upgrade. They ended up putting us in, as expected, a Family JS, which has two bathrooms. All-in-all we're happy!

• 1 month later...
We sailed in a balcony cabin on deck 11 in June. My two teens, DD age 14 & 5'7 and my DS age 15 & 5'9. The two shared the sofa bed. I can confirm that the sofa bed is definitely larger than a double bed, and is the size of a queen bed. My kids each had their own top sheet and blanket, and had plenty of room. My daughter complained the bed was hard and that it was the worst bed she has slept in all of her 9 cruises (she typically gets the top pull down bunk on Carnival and NCL). However, the hardness of the sofa bed did not bother my son one bit. My best description of the sofa mattress is highly dense, non-compressible foam wrapped around a steel tube!

With that said, the quad cabin sleeping arrangement is a huge negative when deciding if we will book another Quantum class ship. The ship is already more expensive than most cruises, and if we had to book two cabins instead of one... it will put this ship out of the running.

The sofa bed is next to the balcony. Although the pathway to the balcony was tight, it was manageable and not a problem.

20160615_221344_zpsgnqvo0rs.jpg

Hi . . did you bring the fan, or did they provide one upon request? Thanks.

Hi . . did you bring the fan, or did they provide one upon request? Thanks.

Good eye! Yes, we brought our own fan (always do, even on Norwegian and Carnival). It provides the best white noise for sleeping.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Edited by mpcaruth

• 1 year later...
I have quoted both ways, 4 in one room and a separate inside cabin and the cost is not the same and not even close. You have to remember the the first two in a room cost's twice as much as the 3rd and 4th person. It is about $1,000., difference in price depending on the cabin you choose so it could be even more. My family cruises with 4 in on cabin and although you don't have a lot of room, we have been just fine especially since we are not in the cabin that much.

I've found the same. A lot say that 2 rooms isn't much more, or is even cheaper than 1 room but I've never found that when pricing it out. On our Allure cruise, we were lucky where our Promenade room had a sofa bed and a Pullman so that was great as both kids got their own space. For our upcoming cruise, we 'splurged' for a boardwalk balcony. But these rooms do not have the Pullman so our kids will need to share the sofa bed. We can still get away with it , but can only see this lasting a bit longer. As you state, we don't spend much time in the room so we manage. For showers, we just stagger the times.

Hi, I just got off Anthem on Sunday and we had a balcony room...11204. We were a family of 4 and my two sons, both about 100lbs. slept comfortably on the pullout. We asked our cabin attendant to make up the bed with separate blankets. I while I did not sleep on the pullout, I did lay down on it a few times and really did not feel cramped or uncomfortable. I am 6'0". My kids had no complaints about the bed. I measured the bed and it was 76"x60" which is 4" short of a standard queen bed (80"x60").

Here is a photo of the bed made up.

IMG_1359.JPG.ba62630982e2d9712df8fd944a1abcfa.JPG

Edited by TBMT
typo

Hi, I just got off Anthem on Sunday and we had a balcony room...11204. We were a family of 4 and my two sons, both about 100lbs. slept comfortably on the pullout. We asked our cabin attendant to make up the bed with separate blankets. I while I did not sleep on the pullout, I did lay down on it a few times and really did not feel cramped or uncomfortable. I am 6'0". My kids had no complaints about the bed. I measured the bed and it was 76"x60" which is 4" short of a standard queen bed (80"x60").

Here is a photo of the bed made up.

Thanks for sharing that info, we are on The Anthem in March!