Which ship/itinerary to Alaska? (Milennium Drydock)

Wishing on a star

Total Alaska and Celebrity newbie, here.

We are looking ahead to Alaska 2017.

There is Millenium with Hubbard Glacier. One way.

And the sister ship Round Trip (no stop at Skagway)

Also I am wondering, and HOPING, that the Milennium would have to be better than the Coral Princess. (Also an older ship.) But, the Milennium is coming up for drydock in May, and I think I am hearing about wear and tear, rust, and even plumbing/sewage issues.

do you X-perts think that they will have the Milennium in much better shape after the drydock?

Edited by Wishing on a star

That is why it goes into drydock for both fixing and updating things like plumbing and putting in new venues. Have cruised Millie several times and the issues people are complaining about are mostly either trivial or simply normal for a ship that carries tens of thousands of passengers every year.

In general, M class ships are great for Alaska. I have never sailed Princess, so I can not comment on their ships. I have been on Celebrity ships well after their last dry docks and never had any major issues with upkeep. I usually have more issues with land based hotels upkeep than any ships. Also, IMO Skagway is one of the best Alaskan ports and I would be disappointed to miss it.

I was on the Milly from Van to Steward in late summer and it was a great trip. I like the size of the M class ships. But anyway, I think on a Alaska cruise the most important thing, the thing that will make the most difference, is something you can do nothing about, the weather!! We had great weather except for the fog when going between Van. Island and the coast. The week before they had rain for the whole cruise. All you can do is cross fingers and not worry about it and take rain gear just in case!

Thanks to you all.

We have a booking placed on the Northbound on Milennium. If I am going to see Alaska, I figure we are going to go all the way up to Anchorage. And the comments about the weather and conditions are SO right. Most of this area is like Maritime Rainforest.

By leaving Princess, we are giving up Glacier Bay. But just feel better and more excited about this Celebrity cruise. We will hopefully see Hubbard Glacier (and Celebrity seems better at actually getting TO the Glacier than Princess), as well as a tour to Tracy Arm with Sawyer Glacier.

Little Nell and Chotton: True, the $25.00 and the Package Promo are not offered for 2017, yet. But, we had no worries about booking anyhow. We booked the cabin I want, one of the better Ocean View staterooms on Plaza, at a good price. (Right now, the rates for 2016 cruises have been going up, and they are more than this Early Booking for the same/similar cruise in 2017. Even with the 'free perks'.)

If a better offer comes along, any time before final payment date, should be able to re-fare. So, let's say the basic fare goes up $100.00 per person, but then free perks are offered, you would have to look at the end total cost. If it comes out better, call Celebrity. (at least that is the way I understand it)

Thanks to you all.

We have a booking placed on the Northbound on Milennium. If I am going to see Alaska, I figure we are going to go all the way up to Anchorage. And the comments about the weather and conditions are SO right. Most of this area is like Maritime Rainforest.

By leaving Princess, we are giving up Glacier Bay. But just feel better and more excited about this Celebrity cruise. We will hopefully see Hubbard Glacier (and Celebrity seems better at actually getting TO the Glacier than Princess), as well as a tour to Tracy Arm with Sawyer Glacier.

Little Nell and Chotton: True, the $25.00 and the Package Promo are not offered for 2017, yet. But, we had no worries about booking anyhow. We booked the cabin I want, one of the better Ocean View staterooms on Plaza, at a good price. (Right now, the rates for 2016 cruises have been going up, and they are more than this Early Booking for the same/similar cruise in 2017. Even with the 'free perks'.)

If a better offer comes along, any time before final payment date, should be able to re-fare. So, let's say the basic fare goes up $100.00 per person, but then free perks are offered, you would have to look at the end total cost. If it comes out better, call Celebrity. (at least that is the way I understand it)

Thank you for this reply. It would be worth our while to wait for the promo. I think you may be doing the cruise we are looking at. Which date is your cruise?

We are wanting to sail early in the season, while there is still some ice and snow in the mountains.

What dates are you considering!

I like the one-way because we would get to see as far North as Anchorage.

Again, if you want to book a specific cabin, one of the cabins that is 'better' and in demand, it can't hurt to put your name on one now. If a deal comes up that is better than what you book, you can call and re-fare. Your booking is good with the deposit only, until the final payment date. 75 days before departure. No risks.

Right now, even with the promo, the cost of the similar cruise this year in 2016 is MORE than what we have booked for 2017, with Go-Best, all four perks.

Does anyone know who the ship Naturalists are for the coming season?

We loved our Celebrity cruise with Brent Nixon was the Naturalist but that was years ago. He was so entertaining and made the wildlife aspect so special.

Just an FYI...

Love the Millie. Don't worry about the ship. It will be in good shape even a year and longer after the dry dock.

Consider a southbound rather than a northbound itinerary. You get to sail through Hubbard Glacier in the afternoon as opposed to the oft foggy morning sail. We've done both and much preferred the afternoon. The natural lighting was also better.

Also by sailing southbound you arrive in Vancouver after sailing approximately 1,300 miles closer to most destinations. If you are planning flights home this should be taken into consideration.

Does anyone know who the ship Naturalists are for the coming season?

We loved our Celebrity cruise with Brent Nixon was the Naturalist but that was years ago. He was so entertaining and made the wildlife aspect so special.

Brent Nixon was on the Solstice when we sailed in summer of 2015.

We are wanting to sail early in the season, while there is still some ice and snow in the mountains.

What dates are you considering!

I like the one-way because we would get to see as far North as Anchorage.

Again, if you want to book a specific cabin, one of the cabins that is 'better' and in demand, it can't hurt to put your name on one now. If a deal comes up that is better than what you book, you can call and re-fare. Your booking is good with the deposit only, until the final payment date. 75 days before departure. No risks.

Right now, even with the promo, the cost of the similar cruise this year in 2016 is MORE than what we have booked for 2017, with Go-Best, all four perks.

We are open minded about dates. There are benefits whichever you choose. Itinerary will be the main concern. Thanks again for your advice!

We are looking to go to Alaska in 2017 but would like to book when the drinks package becomes available. At present it is only available on selected 2016 Alaskan sailings. Can anyone assist with advice on this?

I think it will be significantly later in the year before significant promos come out in the UK for then....We have booked an Asian cruise for Autumn 2017 just with the price match promise to ensure we do get the room we want. We will now check weekly to see if any offers come up, knowing our luck.....If you are not too fussy on room it is probably worth waiting a while and just doing mock bookings to see if it seems to be filling up. If there are specific rooms you want then go with the price promise.

We have cruised on the Millie before and have another booked on her. We found her a very pleasant mature lady! She is older and it does show a little in the fixtures and fittings but she still has everything you need for a great cruise.

We did an Alaskan cruise some years ago and loved it, I am sure you will. We found a balcony a must have...Flying so far we also added a land tour of Washinton state pre cruise. Seeing mount St Helens was a real value added to our holiday! Seattle itself is a great city to spend a few days in too.

Hope you find a bargain, have a great cruise!

Just an FYI...

Love the Millie. Don't worry about the ship. It will be in good shape even a year and longer after the dry dock.

Consider a southbound rather than a northbound itinerary. You get to sail through Hubbard Glacier in the afternoon as opposed to the oft foggy morning sail. We've done both and much preferred the afternoon. The natural lighting was also better.

Also by sailing southbound you arrive in Vancouver after sailing approximately 1,300 miles closer to most destinations. If you are planning flights home this should be taken into consideration.

Thank you SO much for the excellent, and specific, info and suggestions. The next question I had was, does it matter if one is at Hubbard earlier or later. We did a tour to the Napali Coast of Kauai Hawaii, and thought that it might be okay close to noon... But the backlighting and shadows were still a factor, even then.

Any info on Tracy Arm???? On the Northbound, we can do the early Adventure Bound, putting is up there 10:00-11:00. I have had Adventure Bound recommended to me. On the Southbound, we would have to do the afternoon run on Allen Marine.

PS: I am not that concerned about sailing on Milennium next year. Not at all! I had just noticed that some recent reviews seemed to reflect that she is, indeed, in need of a full dry-dock. We are booking one of the new cabins, added in 2010, so our cabin will be much younger than the ship!

We are looking to go to Alaska in 2017 but would like to book when the drinks package becomes available. At present it is only available on selected 2016 Alaskan sailings. Can anyone assist with advice on this?

We already booked Millennium for July 27 and got the drink package included. We then chose to pay to move to the "Best" offer.

I agree that it is worth booking now and getting a better choice of cabin. The cost of the Go Better perk is $105. (It's $315 for Go Best) I think it is a pretty good bet that by the time Celebrity starts offering more than one perk on Alaska 2017, the price of the cruise will have gone up by more than $105. But if by chance, it doesn't, you can always re-fare. It's a win-win situation.

We are thinking of trying Celebrity for the first time in 2017 also. The cost is not much more than Carnival even after adding in the $105 for an extra perk, we would choose drink package and $300 OBC. In the end the cost difference is not bad and we end up with a drink package so no worrying about keeping track of that. I think we have pretty much decided so we will probably book in the next week or so. Excited to try a new line and one that is probably a step up from Carnival in most regards.

Edited by BigB0882

Alaska is all about the itinerary. I would really suggest a land portion for your cruise. We are X cruisers but just returned in September from Alaska on a HAL cruise tour and had s great time I only remember the great sites, the culture and history, and the people we met; I hardly remember any of the details of the ship.