Travel insurance

beshears

Klkfrodo, thank you for giving me the website to check out on insure my trip.com

I just tried the long distance number, and got a busy signal.:( I decided to go all the way to the bottom of the website, and low and behold, there the ONLY other phone number, was a Kansas City phone number. Well I live in KC. I called that number, and when I gave the man the info that he ask for, it sounded like a better place to check out for insurance.

Thank you everyone for your information.

• 3 weeks later...
beshears,

NO - our experience is ONLY with

TripInsuranceStore.com

We've had *excellent* experiences with them, and lots of help figuring out which coverage needed per trip (especially early on when we were "learning" - and they sometimes suggested that we did *NOT* need certain extra cost coverage, which is a good sign), and also help with two claims.

We have contacted them frequently for advice, including while traveling when we had a problem.

There have been some complaints about a few insurers here, and in general, they do not seem to be among the companies that Steve and crew deal with/recommend.

There are plenty of different policies and add-ons to select from with them.

Just wanted some feedback if you don't mind and knew it was you I needed to discuss this with at this point...We've purchased a few travel policies with The Trip Insurance Store and so glad I got to speak directly with Steve for a few policy purchases...last trip it was Kim who answered and she was helpful (just not as much as Steve)...recently called to purchase another policy and got Kim again....I must say I found her whole attitude very abrupt this time.....she has sent me a quote but I feel very put off by my entire conversation with her....:eek::eek:

Just wanted some feedback if you don't mind and knew it was you I needed to discuss this with at this point...We've purchased a few travel policies with The Trip Insurance Store and so glad I got to speak directly with Steve for a few policy purchases...last trip it was Kim who answered and she was helpful (just not as much as Steve)...recently called to purchase another policy and got Kim again....I must say I found her whole attitude very abrupt this time.....she has sent me a quote but I feel very put off by my entire conversation with her....:eek::eek:

I'm sorry that you had a less than good experience.

I'd suggest that you contact Steve, the owner of the company, and discuss this very honestly with him.

If there was some misunderstanding, he could held set things straight. If there is a customer service issue, again... he can address that as necessary.

We've dealt with all of them (at TripInsuranceStore) over the past few years, and not had any unpleasant experiences.

But no one is perfect, and I suppose anyone can have an "off day".

(And if it's something more general, then that should be addressed also, of course.)

In the future, you can just ask for Steve (or someone else by name) to speak with, or to have them return your call.

(We've occasionally asked that Steve specifically call us back, but because of a complicated situation, not any attitude concern. And he did.)

I hope the future goes better!

I'd suggest that you contact Steve, the owner of the company, and discuss this very honestly with him.

If there was some misunderstanding, he could held set things straight. If there is a customer service issue, again... he can address that as necessary.

We've dealt with all of them (at TripInsuranceStore) over the past few years, and not had any unpleasant experiences.

(And if it's something more general, then that should be addressed also, of course.)

In the future, you can just ask for Steve (or someone else by name) to speak with, or to have them return your call.

(We've occasionally asked that Steve specifically call us back, but because of a complicated situation, not any attitude concern. And he did.)

Thanks so much for your time & response..

I did call back this morning and Deanna answered.....Steve was on another call but after just a few seconds talking with Deanna I felt comfortable enough to explain everything to her...she couldn't have been more helpful and was going to pass on my concern's to Steve.

She answered all my questions and I easily purchased my next travel policy. So happy everything turned out well...and am looking forward to this next adventure.

Again many thanks.

I've used trip insurance store for probably a dozen policies, used them all but once (and this was for a land based vacation) in the last 12 years. I would ONLY use them for cruise insurance. You pay the same no matter the broker, and there is a lot of value added using Steve's company for your insurance needs. I have talked with Steve, Becky, Kim, I'm sure others, all pros. Of course, everyone is entitled to a "bad hair" day, the crew at trip insurance store is not immune from that. All said, this is our go to insurance broker.

Edited by Former Goalie

I've used trip insurance store for probably a dozen policies, used them all but once (and this was for a land based vacation) in the last 12 years. I would ONLY use them for cruise insurance. You pay the same no matter the broker, and there is a lot of value added using Steve's company for your insurance needs. I have talked with Steve, Becky, Kim, I'm sure others, all pros. Of course, everyone is entitled to a "bad hair" day, the crew at trip insurance store is not immune from that. All said, this is our go to insurance broker.

Why would you "ONLY" use them for cruise insurance, and not for land-based trips?

We use them for cruise and non-cruise travel... for any travel where we want insurance. (Thus far, we've purchased policies from two of the companies they use, given the specific needs for each trip.)

We've had one claim for each type, with no problems encountered filing the claim for either. (Steve assisted a bit with both claims, making the process even easier than it would have been otherwise.)

Why would you "ONLY" use them for cruise insurance, and not for land-based trips?

We use them for cruise and non-cruise travel... for any travel where we want insurance. (Thus far, we've purchased policies from two of the companies they use, given the specific needs for each trip.)

We've had one claim for each type, with no problems encountered filing the claim for either. (Steve assisted a bit with both claims, making the process even easier than it would have been otherwise.)

I'll clear up what I meant to say. I would not use them solely for cruise insurance, I have used, and will use them again, for a land based trip. There was just one trip, land based close to home, where I found a very basic policy somewhere other than Steve's shop. And, for my first few cruises, I bought cruise line insurance, not knowing any better.

Now, however, I would not use anyone else for cruise insurance, trip insurance store is the best.

I've also used CSA and have had to file 2 claims with them and couldn't have been happier with the results of the claims. I have a cruise coming up to the Galapagos Islands and wasn't sure what insurance coverage I needed for that trip so called Insuremytrip and they again suggested CSA so I went with them again for that trip. You need to make sure the insurance coverage your choose covers your needs, so I appreciate their guidance on each trip and our specific needs.

• 4 weeks later...
If you cancel a cruise prior to sailing, the cruise line will refund tax and port charges. The insurance covers the cruise fare.

Being the port charges and tax is refundable, you shouldn't include it in the total trip expense when getting a quote for insurance?

Being the port charges and tax is refundable' date=' you shouldn't include it in the total trip expense when getting a quote for insurance? [/b']

I have filed a claim, and, in my case, port charges were NOT refunded. This was for Holland America Line. Check, and double check, with whomever you booked through. I would assume that only govt. fees/taxes are refundable.

• 4 weeks later...
We always get travel insurance. We usualyl get Travel Guard, or sometimes Travelex. Remember, your health insurance doesn't work on a cruise ship or out of the country for that matter.

This isn't true for my health insurance. I can get sick anywhere in the world and get treated in a local hospital. Anthem will reimburse what I pay out of pocket when I return home.

Edited by ChinaShrek

We always get travel insurance. We usualyl get Travel Guard, or sometimes Travelex. Remember, your health insurance doesn't work on a cruise ship or out of the country for that matter.

[emphasis added]

This isn't true for my health insurance. I can get sick anywhere in the world and get treated in a local hospital. Anthem will reimburse what I pay out of pocket when I return home.

ChinaShrek is correct about the generalization that health insurance "doesn't" work out of country/cruise ship/etc., is *not* necessarily accurate.

It is important to understand the terms of YOUR own specific insurance coverage.

Some policies do indeed cover medical care "anywhere".

Others might cover only "emergencies anywhere".

What matters is what your own policy covers, not what other policies cover or what most policies cover, etc.

• 3 weeks later...
I had Travel Guard when I cruised to the Caribbean, and ran into a problem. They "finally" reimbursed me back, but did not pay for any taxes, or fees, only the cruise charge.

And I assume that you had paid those, and they were *not* refunded?

If so, can you get something from the cruiseline stating that they are not refunding those PAID costs, and submit an amended claim?

I'm now completely baffled about when they do/don't refund those, or even when the insurer does/doesn't cover those.

(But we'd squawk if something was not refunded, and the insurance didn't cover it. Er, that doesn't mean it would "work", but we'd sure squawk!)

Our one claim for a last minute cancellation worked such that Travel Insured paid us ALL of the money we paid the cruiseline - cruise costs *including* taxes/fees, and all airfare paid.

(There was no refund on that, not the usual fee to change/cancel.)

Seems to be oddly variable, but I can't figure out why...

I'm going to ask someone about this. We'd be better off at least to "be prepared", given this odd situation.

I had Travel Guard when I cruised to the Caribbean, and ran into a problem. They "finally" reimbursed me back, but did not pay for any taxes, or fees, only the cruise charge.

Most times, you will get taxes, fees, or both refunded by the cruise line. I don't know if that happened in your instance. If they were refunded by the cruise line, that would explain why you didn't get $$$ back from the insurance company.

• 3 weeks later...
I've also used CSA and have had to file 2 claims with them and couldn't have been happier with the results of the claims. I have a cruise coming up to the Galapagos Islands and wasn't sure what insurance coverage I needed for that trip so called Insuremytrip and they again suggested CSA so I went with them again for that trip. You need to make sure the insurance coverage your choose covers your needs, so I appreciate their guidance on each trip and our specific needs.

We're getting ready to buy CSA insurance. I just found a web site with a lot of negative reviews about claims and am afraid to purchase now. :confused:

Every negative review I have seen is for one of two reasons 1. The claim wasn't covered or 2. The time it took to process the claim. I have never seen a Valid claim not be covered; every negative review for that reason was by someone who did not read and understand what their policy covered. Sometimes the misunderstanding was huge (they decided not to go on the trip because a snow storm delayed their departure...as in they turned around, went home and did not try to get to the ship at all) and sometimes it was small (trip delay covered hotel and food, but not the cost of a rental car).

CSA is very good policy. Take as much time to read the DOC as you are probably spending on reviews and you will be better off for knowing what the policy covers and just as important, what it doesn't.

OK, one of these days I will want to be checking out a "different" insurance. Up to this point, I have always used Travel Guard.

If you have used either, Insuremytrip, or Tripinsurancestore, (I have heard they are both good sights to go through), can you give me your opinion of either of these companies?