Tipping in Australia and NZ

Emperor Norton

No but I was asking "Do you tip a public bus driver" if not why not, surely he is providing a service.

That article is, with all respect, rubbish.

Just like on my last cruise Aus/NZ when the line was advising to tip 10-20% in various Ports, absolute rubbish.

Funny you get advice from people who live here, direct in these boards, yet won't accept it.

As I said I'm sure they'll take your dough.

Some tour operators put a box I tin near the exit, watch closely the locals will be the Inez's not putting money in.

I've been known to give a guide or driver a few bucks when h has gone over and above, or I want to get I'd of a pocketful of change. Especially when it is clear that they are a volunteer as many are.

But it is neither the Norm, nor necessary.

No need to get huffy. It's supposed to be a friendly board with helpful discussion. While your input on the tipping practices is appreciated, your "Funny you get advice from people who live here, direct in these boards, yet won't accept it" attitude is not.

That article is completely wrong when it comes to Australia and New Zealand. Ignore everything it says about tipping in those countries, including the comment from Donna Thomas of New Zealand Travel.

As already stated, people will always take your money, but it is neither expected nor encouraged that you tip. Workers in Australia and New Zealand make a living wage--they don't depend on tips to survive as they do in the U.S. Yes, as an American living in Australia for several years, it was a bit odd at first not to tip. But, believe me, I sure got used to it fast!

So, enjoy your tour and thank your guide at the end. That's it.

Thank you for your helpful and respectful response.

We did 2 private tours in NZ, in Dunedin and Bay of islands. We were not intending on tipping either due to our tipping cultures, but we did end up giving the Dunedin tour guide an extra $20 to round it up to an even figure, as he had bought the bus a case of beer to try and also a cheese platter at a dairy to sample, out of his own pocket. I saw it more as reimbursing him what he paid and a bit of a thanks for doing it, rather than a tip just because he was a tour guide. The bay of islands guy we gave nothing to, he did a good job but that's what we had paid him to do in the first place.

I went out to dinner on Saturdah night to one of the nicer restaurants in Melbourne. When we paid by card the waitress pointed out that the machine had a spot to leave a tip if we would like to. We paid the bill and did not leave a tip, and I really dislike that places are encouraging diners to pay one. At $100 a head with no alcohol, they were paid plenty in the first place.

It is not expected that you tip anyone in New Zealand but as much as tipping makes me uncomfortable when in the States I understand that some one who is used to tipping will feel the same as me, uncomfortable not tipping.

We are also one of the most electronic countries for payment in the world, the system went down last night for 3 hours and we literally came to a full stop in shops, service stations and restaurants. It is not the normal here to carry any cash at all.

There is another option that we have used many times when traveling, we buy small flag pins or something else that is small and easy to carry and give those to the tour guide as a thank you, something from your own country that is unique but small not expensive.

Most are very accepting and feel very honored that you have taken the time to think of them in advance. We have had one refusal to take as they still considered this too much, that was in Japan where tipping is also not common.

It is not expected that you tip anyone in New Zealand but as much as tipping makes me uncomfortable when in the States I understand that some one who is used to tipping will feel the same as me, uncomfortable not tipping.

We are also one of the most electronic countries for payment in the world, the system went down last night for 3 hours and we literally came to a full stop in shops, service stations and restaurants. It is not the normal here to carry any cash at all.

There is another option that we have used many times when traveling, we buy small flag pins or something else that is small and easy to carry and give those to the tour guide as a thank you, something from your own country that is unique but small not expensive.

Most are very accepting and feel very honored that you have taken the time to think of them in advance. We have had one refusal to take as they still considered this too much, that was in Japan where tipping is also not common.

Yep EFTPOS crashes everything grinds o a halt, we make paper (polymer) money that's now sold around the world, but no one uses it anymore.

Though me and the delightful Mrs Gut always try to have a 50 tucked away somewhere.

I'm glad someone asked the question about tipping even if things got a little snide. I feel it's a smart thing to ask concerning customs of different countries. I have traveled and lived in Europe and Asia and can say customs are different everywhere. Tipping isn't a uniquely American thing just something that honestly has gotten out of hand IMO. Honestly tipping started in the UK and is prevalent in many European countries but often it's called service charge. France has mandatory 15%. In the US it is mostly optional unless in a large group then you usually see mandatory 15-18%. With that said it has become customary to tip servers as some have previously stated they are paid a lower wage than minimum wage (sometimes) or like spas they are paid in commission plus a small hourly. Tipping should be a way to say you did an exceptional job today, thank you IMO but I always find out the tipping customs of where I'm visiting so as not to offend someone with my "uncouth" behavior[emoji33] Asia is a perfect example where it is considered offensive to offer a tip. Italy was similar as their service people are considered professional and will apprentice to be a wait staff. I'm glad I saw this forum though so that I am prepared for my Australia & New Zealand trip in December. I now know that tipping is not typical but a little rounding up is fine. One expense to take off the budget [emoji4] I've been looking forward to trip for ages.. On another lighter note, do any of the Australians in this group actually like vegimite. Had it as a young kid from our exchange student teacher and I don't remember liking it lol. Trying to figure out if I should give it a try or will I look like the silly tourist trying to be "local" [emoji15][emoji848]

I'm glad someone asked the question about tipping even if things got a little snide. I feel it's a smart thing to ask concerning customs of different countries. I have traveled and lived in Europe and Asia and can say customs are different everywhere. Tipping isn't a uniquely American thing just something that honestly has gotten out of hand IMO. Honestly tipping started in the UK and is prevalent in many European countries but often it's called service charge. France has mandatory 15%. In the US it is mostly optional unless in a large group then you usually see mandatory 15-18%. With that said it has become customary to tip servers as some have previously stated they are paid a lower wage than minimum wage (sometimes) or like spas they are paid in commission plus a small hourly. Tipping should be a way to say you did an exceptional job today, thank you IMO but I always find out the tipping customs of where I'm visiting so as not to offend someone with my "uncouth" behavior[emoji33] Asia is a perfect example where it is considered offensive to offer a tip. Italy was similar as their service people are considered professional and will apprentice to be a wait staff. I'm glad I saw this forum though so that I am prepared for my Australia & New Zealand trip in December. I now know that tipping is not typical but a little rounding up is fine. One expense to take off the budget [emoji4] I've been looking forward to trip for ages.. On another lighter note, do any of the Australians in this group actually like vegimite. Had it as a young kid from our exchange student teacher and I don't remember liking it lol. Trying to figure out if I should give it a try or will I look like the silly tourist trying to be "local" [emoji15][emoji848]

I'm not a big Vegemite fan, have it from time to time, but prefer jam or golden syrup. One hint if you are going to try it is put it on thinly, a lot of people think its like other spreads and put it on way to thick (now my daughter likes it real thick).

By all means try it, when I do have it I like it on hot toast, butter and just a smear of Vegemite.

One thing to be aware of is tha Australia is an expensive place to visit, often voted the most expensive city on earth for tourists.

Oh my, talk about opening up a can of worms. The vegemite discussion could be even more controversial than tipping!

Vegemite is a staple here so you won't be out of place - however you need to be prepared for the Vegemite or Marmite debate.

They are very similar but are distinct and relationships have ended based on the answer to "Are you are vegemite or marmite person?"

In NZ the marmite factory was damaged and took almost a year to be fixed. We had marmagedon and it was virtually a national emergency. The news reported on ways to conserve supplies and campaigns were run to help people get through the time.

So long story short we take our spreads very seriously and you should have no trouble finding some to try.

Of course the next question is how do you eat it - there are lots of thoughts on this. My preference is a thin spread on hot toast. yum yum

On another lighter note, do any of the Australians in this group actually like vegimite. Had it as a young kid from our exchange student teacher and I don't remember liking it lol. Trying to figure out if I should give it a try or will I look like the silly tourist trying to be "local" [emoji15][emoji848]

Yep, I love vegemite. It's great when you have a queasy tummy, seems to settle things down. As Gut says, start with a mere smear, you can always add more. Also expect it to be a savoury umami flavour (think miso soup or beef broth).

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

Looove vegemite! I always see tourists trying it with a spoon and I think no wonder you don't like it, it tastes gross on its own lol. I was at the height of morning sickness on our Dec cruise and all I wanted for breakfast each day was vegemite on hot buttered toast. Thank goodness Celebrity had it in single serves on the breakfast table lol. But you only spread it very thinly, like a smear, and you need butter on the toast too. I also like it on Crumpets or on Crackers, and in a crusty bread roll, but I don't like it on a sandwich lol. I think I just like it with a crunchy textured bread :)

Looove vegemite! I always see tourists trying it with a spoon and I think no wonder you don't like it, it tastes gross on its own lol. I was at the height of morning sickness on our Dec cruise and all I wanted for breakfast each day was vegemite on hot buttered toast. Thank goodness Celebrity had it in single serves on the breakfast table lol. But you only spread it very thinly, like a smear, and you need butter on the toast too. I also like it on Crumpets or on Crackers, and in a crusty bread roll, but I don't like it on a sandwich lol. I think I just like it with a crunchy textured bread :)

Agree about needing butter.

Daughter on the other hand will eat it off a spoon, happily.

Her dog wind have his denta sticks unless they have Vegie on 'em

I am a recent convert from Marmite to Vegemite, yes, you can get it in the UK ;)

Spread thinly on toast is the way - before you butter it :)

butter or marge on toast first then the vegemite and yes thinly if too think it is way too strong though have a friend that likes it thickly spread i don't i like it thinly spread

Yep, vegemite on toast for breakfast almost every morning. Grandkids have vegemite sandwiches for lunch as a staple. Except the four year old loves honey and peanut butter together.

DH did not arrive here until he was six and cannot stand the stuff!

I love the way this thread has morphed from a tipping thread to one about Vegemite vs. Marmite!

I don't have a dog in this fight because I never tasted either. I used to help out in my kids' school canteens when we lived in Australia and couldn't stand the smell of the Vegemite when I made up the sandwiches, so I never tried it.

I love the way this thread has morphed from a tipping thread to one about Vegemite vs. Marmite!

I don't have a dog in this fight because I never tasted either. I used to help out in my kids' school canteens when we lived in Australia and couldn't stand the smell of the Vegemite when I made up the sandwiches, so I never tried it.

not sure how it did either i know i joined in but i still don't know how the tipping turned to vegemite and marmite lol :eek::D:o:):confused:

dry biscuits like savoys with vegemite and cheese [butter first of course] are very nice and dont cut the cheese too thick either thin sliced cheese and thinly spread vegemite yummo

Try Vitawheat cracker with vegemite (no butter this time) topped with thinly sliced celery.