Verizon Cell phone reception on GSC/checking in on Southwest

100th Meridian

I was wondering if anyone has used their cell phone on GSC to check-in on Southwest. Our return flight is at 1pm the day following being at GSC and would prefer to check in this method then having an Internet package and being on the ship at 1pm to do it or doing early bird check-in (even with early bird, you still need to check-in).

Hmmm, the only cellular signal you will get at GSC is "MCC" - it will be satellite based only https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/64025118/2015%20NCL%20BA/SS1503240839.jpg

VZW signals are relayed via the ship's towers - unless you have subscribed to VZW's cruise ship pacakge, as offered currently - you won't be connecting to any websites, aside from NCL dot com as that's always free onboard the ship.

Depending on which ship/sailing - NCL sometimes (always ???) do offer last minute plans just prior to disembarkation (next day) - limited plans by the minutes (or xxx MB data) onboard.

Connection speed & latency are decent and acceptable on *Away ships but not necessary with the "smaller" ships - check with the Roll Calls on prior sailings and reviews to see/ask ... it can be frustrating slow for mobile browsers & apps to load (graphics) and getting timeout errors, etc.

It will probably be cheaper for you to pay the $12 fee to Southwest for priority boarding (early A group), than to pay for cell service, which might be hit or miss. We all know with Southwest, you want to get checked in the second it opens in order to get a good boarding group, and the best way to do it in this situation is to just pay the $12 and not worry about it.

Edited by LrgPizza

While you do still need to check in even with Early Bird, there's no need to rush to do it. You can do it a couple hours before your flight or at the airport. Your boarding position is already assigned 36 hours in advance. Although you are not guaranteed an A position even with EB.

Well A1 - A15 is reserved for business fares. Early bird still doesn't guarantee early A group. Generally early - mid B isn't bad position to find a spot on plane. Still the entire group on reservation would be charged early bird, fee, you can't cherry pick one person off reservation to pay it the fee. Can't justify paying early bird for 20 people, especially if a cheaper alternative is out there.

My understanding is that your boarding position is reserved when you book Early Bird. As in, if you book months in advance and select EB at that time, you will get low A group without a doubt.

Not necessarily. As someone previously mentioned, business class fares and A-List customers get priority boarding before Early Bird. It's not uncommon at all to get a B position with EB. On a city pair with a strong SWA base and after a cruise when a lot of people have the the same idea, it's actually pretty unlikely to secure an A group without status or a business fare.

Not necessarily. As someone previously mentioned, business class fares and A-List customers get priority boarding before Early Bird. It's not uncommon at all to get a B position with EB. On a city pair with a strong SWA base and after a cruise when a lot of people have the the same idea, it's actually pretty unlikely to secure an A group without status or a business fare.

Ok, well, for me... I fly SWA regularly out of Oakland, which is heavy SWA, and have no problem securing A positions. I book early, and I book EB. I am not A-list, and I do not fly business. I guess one cannot post their personal experiences without the silly internet disclaimers, so, IMHO, YMMV and all that.

Definitely go with nolatravelgirls recommendation and have a stay-at-home friend check you in! One less thing for you to worry about on your trip, plus chances are your friend will be using a truly high-speed connection, versus slow ship connection. And bring back a souvenir for the friend as a reward.

When you purchase EB, at that time your EB position is secured. It will however be after the other priority groups. So you don't need to check in until you get to the airport if you don't' want to. With EB, I've been in the high number A group before but never in B. I do buy EB soon after making reservations though.

Definitely go with nolatravelgirls recommendation and have a stay-at-home friend check you in! One less thing for you to worry about on your trip, plus chances are your friend will be using a truly high-speed connection, versus slow ship connection. And bring back a souvenir for the friend as a reward.

good call [emoji106][emoji106]