Princess Traditional dining - late arrival

If your Princess excursion has a return time of 6:00pm and you are on the 5:45 pm sitting, can you still get into the MDR or are the doors closed after a certain time?

Can you make special arrangements with the Maitre'd on such occasions?

Thanks for your replies.

Cheers,

Anna

Edited by Kinkacruiser

If your Princess excursion has a return time of 6:00pm and you are on the 5:45 pm sitting, can you still get into the MDR or are the doors closed after a certain time?

Thanks for your replies.

Cheers,

Anna

Anna its not a good idea to get there too late (maybe 15 mins might be ok) but any later your table mates would have to wait for you so i would eat some where that night...there are other options but if you do decide to eat else where tell your table mates the night before that you may not be there

Anna its not a good idea to get there too late (maybe 15 mins might be ok) but any later your table mates would have to wait for you so i would eat some where that night...there are other options but if you do decide to eat else where tell your table mates the night before that you may not be there

Asking for a friend, Bob. We would go to the buffet if late. I agree it's inconsiderate to ones table mates to arrive late. Thanks :)

Yeah - I agree, you wouldn't want your table mates to be left waiting, and your table is also required for the next sitting. If you didn't want the buffet and prefer the restaurants, you could always take advantage of the anytime dining restaurants on that night. Technically it's not what they're for, but all you have to do is walk in a say how large your group is and how big a table you would like, and they seat you (or give you a beaper if they're busy). If you've missed your seating due to an excursion, I wouldn't see anyone having a problem with it.

They used to shut the doors about 10 minutes after dining time, but if it was because an excursion was late back I suspect they'd make some arrangement.

We were, to say the least, a little surprised last cruise at how few were in the dining room (and we had ATD) on Port Days, our waiter and Matey'd assured us that is the norm now.

I have heard but never experienced that some nights they make it all ATD if it's a late sailing.

Yeah - I agree, you wouldn't want your table mates to be left waiting, and your table is also required for the next sitting. If you didn't want the buffet and prefer the restaurants, you could always take advantage of the anytime dining restaurants on that night. Technically it's not what they're for, but all you have to do is walk in a say how large your group is and how big a table you would like, and they seat you (or give you a beaper if they're busy). If you've missed your seating due to an excursion, I wouldn't see anyone having a problem with it.

Anna mentioned 'Princess'. On Australian-based Princess ships (Sun, Sea & Dawn) there is no anytime dining. When we were on the Diamond there was anytime, but I don't know if that will continue when she is based in Australia and I don't know about the Golden P now she is operating out of Australia.

Depending on the Maitre D', usually the dining is all 'anytime' if the ship is in port after 5.30 or so. We have had that on several cruises.

I suggest your friends ask their waiter the previous night what will happen with dining times because of the late sail-away the next night. Even if it isn't 'anytime dining' that night, I think it is likely he will say to come when they can and might ask if they mind if he takes the orders from others at the take so they can start their meal. :)

Thanks everyone. I'm was referring to the Sun Princess. I've also seen anytime implemented when there was a late sailaway. Also agree with a much lower MDR attendance on port days. Most people are too darn tired after a long excursion.

Cheers,

Anna

Edited by Kinkacruiser

Thanks everyone. I'm was referring to the Sun Princess. I've also seen anytime implemented when there was a late sailaway. Also agree with a much lower MDR attendance on port days. Most people are too darn tired after a long excursion.

Cheers,

Anna

That seems to be why the staff are more relaxed about people coming in late, even if the Maitre d' hasn't nominated 'anytime dining'. On a recent cruise I saw some people come in an hour late, but I think that is unreasonable. :(

its only sun, Dawn and Sea Princess sailing from Australia that only offer fixed time dining .

This is just sheer laziness on the part of Princess Australia as when these Sun class ships were in the US or Europe one dining room was Fixed Sittings and the other Anytime Dining. So the three vessels are already set up for both. Just sheer laziness by Princess Australia .

its only sun, Dawn and Sea Princess sailing from Australia that only offer fixed time dining .

This is just sheer laziness on the part of Princess Australia as when these Sun class ships were in the US or Europe one dining room was Fixed Sittings and the other Anytime Dining. So the three vessels are already set up for both. Just sheer laziness by Princess Australia .

I've seen a few claims that it is laziness.

How is it lazy?

What extra work would it create?

Can't for the life of me see lazy as the answer.

There must be some other remain.

Especially considering they offer ATD on the othe ships here.

My recollection is that when the first of the Princess ships started to operate out of Australia, it was announced (grandly) that Australians don't like Anytime Dining. :( I do not know who they asked. :D Maybe when Princess sees how Aussies can manage to cope ;) with a mixture of Anytime and Traditional Dining on the Diamond & Golden, they might change the Sun, Sea & Dawn to a mixture of both. :D

Thanks for your replies.

Cheers,

Anna

Hi Anna,

We have had this occur for us on a Princess cruise recently, we informed our all concerned along with the Maître De, so that they all knew why we wouldn't show. The Maître De organised a later seating in the MDR for us.:D

The night before tell your table mates, waiters, and the maitre'd that you are going on the excursion next day. Ask for advice from the maitre'd as to how late you can arrive. The main problem with late arrivals is that it makes it harder for the staff to prepare for the second sitting, but if they are prewarned they can ensure that your meal is served quicker than usual when you do arrive.

The night before tell your table mates, waiters, and the maitre'd that you are going on the excursion next day. Ask for advice from the maitre'd as to how late you can arrive. The main problem with late arrivals is that it makes it harder for the staff to prepare for the second sitting, but if they are prewarned they can ensure that your meal is served quicker than usual when you do arrive.

Perhaps they will allow you to pre order (like those with allergies do) if you are not too late getting back.

Thanks for your replies.

Cheers,

Anna

My only thought here is to ask will you really feel like rushing down to dinner immediately after returning from an excursion? Our recent Asian cruise involved long day excursions and the last thing any of us felt like doing was to rush to dinner.

My pet hate, waiting for others at our table in MDR. They should enforce their 'Close door policy.' On P&O UK, 15 minutes after sitting time begins, i.e. 6.30pm and 8.45pm, doors are closed and guarded, no body gets in. Way to go. Princess, take note, bring in the MDR Police.

Edited by NSWP

when we went to auckland the dining it did not matter it was open anyway i just got in before 6 but they would have kept doors open anyway others had ordered anyway and weren't far off finishing they were going to put me on a different table but i wanted to be same and have same waiters they were fine with that can always check the night before if they are doing an open sitting anyway which would mean it wont matter what time you got there they will just put you on a table

when we went to auckland the dining it did not matter it was open anyway i just got in before 6 but they would have kept doors open anyway others had ordered anyway and weren't far off finishing they were going to put me on a different table but i wanted to be same and have same waiters they were fine with that can always check the night before if they are doing an open sitting anyway which would mean it wont matter what time you got there they will just put you on a table

You are talking about doing the Any Time Dining option, rather than traditional?

Edited by NSWP

They used to shut the doors about 10 minutes after dining time, but if it was because an excursion was late back I suspect they'd make some arrangement.

We were, to say the least, a little surprised last cruise at how few were in the dining room (and we had ATD) on Port Days, our waiter and Matey'd assured us that is the norm now.

I have heard but never experienced that some nights they make it all ATD if it's a late sailing.

i think thats what they did on My Golden cruise for the first stop as my tour got in late i got in late at Akuroa not sure if same happened there i just went straight from tender to mdr with my bags camera etc had no time to change etc

You are talking about doing the Any Time Dining option, rather than traditional?

I was in traditional I don't do anytime the night of our Auckland stop they opened it so didn't matter what time you arrived I don't know if ackuroa was same I forgot to ask I made it just in time for that one anyway