Traveling solo - reading during meals

newatt_now

That's nearly as rude as an earlier post about remaining single.

I too am a "hermit". I have no desire for anyone else's company/attention, with perhaps the exception of Mrs Gut. I will often go a week or more without asking to anyone other than her. Now that in part is because I am, a times housebound, but even when not it wouldn't bother me if the same situation continued.

Personally I think those constantly in need of the company of others that are in need of a counsellor as thy clearly aren't happy with themselves.

I was married for almost 18 years to a man who was very shy and some would describe as a "hermit." People always wanted to "fix" him. Like being shy or wanting to be alone means there's something inherently wrong. Personally, I can't imagine how difficult it would be to live in a world where everyone is an extrovert! Yikes!

I was married for almost 18 years to a man who was very shy and some would describe as a "hermit." People always wanted to "fix" him. Like being shy or wanting to be alone means there's something inherently wrong. Personally, I can't imagine how difficult it would be to live in a world where everyone is an extrovert! Yikes!

I'm married to an introvert although, thankfully, no one has tried to fix him.

See how this thread has taken some interesting twists and turns?;):) You could REALLY add another one by saying you're going to quilt while having a meal.:D:D:D

I'm married to an introvert although, thankfully, no one has tried to fix him.

See how this thread has taken some interesting twists and turns?;):) You could REALLY add another one by saying you're going to quilt while having a meal.:D:D:D

I almost added that in as a new wrinkle--I'll have my cross stitch with me. I'll be working on it quite a bit on this cruise as my first grandbaby is on the way. I'm sure some will think I'm rude or odd that I'd rather do that than chat with others. And, I'm an extrovert! LOL.

Fortunately (for them) no one has ever tried to "fix" me.

I deal with people all the time in my profession, but there are only a few people in the world whose company I would miss if they weren't there (maybe even only one).

We've often taken food.

To elsewhere on the deck.

Or back to our cabin. In fact the wife has been given plate covers to carry it back to our cabin, or once (at leat, maybe more) had a crew member told together a tray and carry it back for her. That was by the Food and Bev Supervisor who knew us from the MDR and asked where I was, when she explained I was laid up, hey presto.

So nothing at all stopping you taking food back to the cabin (on most lines anyway I know one put I stop to it, but pretty sure they reversed that decision).

I've taken food back to my cabin from the buffet.

Do you feel it's rude for someone to openly (but silently) pray before eating their meal when seated at a table with strangers?

WOW! Now you have opened an entirely different can of worms. So, folks want to wear their religion on their sleeves, openly display it to others, and everyone needs to be OK with it because, after all, it is religion! So my question is very simple, "do you think God will love you more for praying at the table...as opposed to doing the same thing in the privacy of your cabin before you go to dinner? We have dined with several clergy on ships (including a Rabbi and an Priest) and none has done anything but be delightful and very socialable tablemates. But each to their own. We have no issue with a silent prayer....but if one chooses to get the entire table involved in their prayer we shall pray for their souls. and avoid them for the remainder of the cruise. DW reminds me of an incident at Frankfort Airport when we were flying to Egypt. A few Muslims suddenly got our of their comfy seats in the waiting area and kneeled right in the middle of the waiting room to do their prayers. Our reaction was one of some disdain (we know this is not politically correct) as they could have easily gone to a more private area to do their prayers. This was more like an "in your face" display" and we were not impressed. Religion is a very important matter for many folks, but IMHO it should be kept private as much as possible.

So, you sit at a large table (on a cruise) and one member asks if it is OK to say grace. They then say (for example) a Christian prayer...while some of their tablemates are Jewish or Muslim...or perhaps Atheist. Now perhaps their religion teaches to respect the feelings (and religion of others) so perhaps that same table should have a Christian Prayer, a Jewish Prayer, a Muslim Prayer, and an Atheist Non-prayer. You can see where this goes.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

The more we think about this thread the more interesting it becomes. So lets say I like to pick my nose. I sit at a table and pick my nose and a few others sit down. Since I personally like to pick my nose I continue doing what I personally prefer (which is to pick my nose). What am I doing wrong? According to some folks I would be doing nothing wrong since it is what I prefer, there are no social rules, and the heck with everyone else?

Hank

Do you feel it's rude for someone to openly (but silently) pray before eating their meal when seated at a table with strangers?

WOW! Now you have opened an entirely different can of worms. So, folks want to wear their religion on their sleeves, openly display it to others, and everyone needs to be OK with it because, after all, it is religion! So my question is very simple, "do you think God will love you more for praying at the table...as opposed to doing the same thing in the privacy of your cabin before you go to dinner? We have dined with several clergy on ships (including a Rabbi and an Priest) and none has done anything but be delightful and very socialable tablemates. But each to their own. We have no issue with a silent prayer....but if one chooses to get the entire table involved in their prayer we shall pray for their souls. and avoid them for the remainder of the cruise. DW reminds me of an incident at Frankfort Airport when we were flying to Egypt. A few Muslims suddenly got our of their comfy seats in the waiting area and kneeled right in the middle of the waiting room to do their prayers. Our reaction was one of some disdain (we know this is not politically correct) as they could have easily gone to a more private area to do their prayers. This was more like an "in your face" display" and we were not impressed. Religion is a very important matter for many folks, but IMHO it should be kept private as much as possible.

So, you sit at a large table (on a cruise) and one member asks if it is OK to say grace. They then say (for example) a Christian prayer...while some of their tablemates are Jewish or Muslim...or perhaps Atheist. Now perhaps their religion teaches to respect the feelings (and religion of others) so perhaps that same table should have a Christian Prayer, a Jewish Prayer, a Muslim Prayer, and an Atheist Non-prayer. You can see where this goes.

Hank

So newatt asks about "openly (but silently)" giving thanks. And you turn that into wearing their religion n their sleeves and saying a Christian prayer in front of non Christians, how would anyone have any idea what sort of prayer is being said silently.

Why would you have disdain for Muslims following the dictates of their religion, in what way did that negatively impact on you.

And while traveling to Egypt, no less, where about 95% of the population are Muslim. Better not use any of that US money either with "In Hid we Trust" on it, that must be wearing your religion on you pocket too.

Talk about judgmental.

Edited by GUT2407

The more we think about this thread the more interesting it becomes. So lets say I like to pick my nose. I sit at a table and pick my nose and a few others sit down. Since I personally like to pick my nose I continue doing what I personally prefer (which is to pick my nose). What am I doing wrong? According to some folks I would be doing nothing wrong since it is what I prefer, there are no social rules, and the heck with everyone else?

Hank

I would hate this even more than someone reading at the table. You win. :)

I almost added that in as a new wrinkle--I'll have my cross stitch with me. I'll be working on it quite a bit on this cruise as my first grandbaby is on the way. I'm sure some will think I'm rude or odd that I'd rather do that than chat with others. And, I'm an extrovert! LOL.

Just curious: if you would prefer working on your cross stitch to chatting with others, yet see yourself as an extrovert, how would you characterize an introvert?

Some people can actually do their cross stitch and chat at the same time. :)

To be fair, I did say that people might find me odd or rude because I'm cross stitching instead of chatting with others. But, yes, I'm fully capable of cross stitching and chatting at the same time. :D

Just curious: if you would prefer working on your cross stitch to chatting with others, yet see yourself as an extrovert, how would you characterize an introvert?

I infer that you're questioning my saying I'm an extrovert. Since you don't know me, you can't know that I'm anything but an introvert--most of my friends would describe me as the life of the party, so not introverted. But I don't think my being an extrovert means I need to be talking with people and being socialable 24/7. Even extroverted people sometimes enjoy time to themselves. I travel solo about half the time and when I do travel solo, I enjoy the solitude because in my daily life I'm almost constantly surrounded by others, many of whom are needing my direction and guidance in order to do their jobs. It is entirely possible for an extrovert to sit quietly by herself and actually enjoy it.

Interesting how many people commenting on this thread are very black and white (one might say one-dimensional) in their thinking. People are either rude or they're not; they follow the rules of etiquette or they don't; they're extroverted or introverted. I don't really see life that way--I see many shades of gray. :)

Edited by Quilting_Cruiser

Some people can actually do their cross stitch and chat at the same time. :)

To be fair, I did say that people might find me odd or rude because I'm cross stitching instead of chatting with others. But, yes, I'm fully capable of cross stitching and chatting at the same time. :D

<snip>

I'm sorry my above post wasn't worded very well.

I did not mean to imply you were unable to chat and cross stitch at the same time. My message was meant to be just because you cross stitch does not mean, if it is your choice, you would not be able to chat as well. :o

I'm sorry my above post wasn't worded very well.

I did not mean to imply you were unable to chat and cross stitch at the same time. My message was meant to be just because you cross stitch does not mean, if it is your choice, you would not be able to chat as well. :o

Oh, that's funny! I assumed you were responding to the poster who was implying I'm introverted since I might want to cross stitch instead of chatting with other cruisers. I was just agreeing with you that you can, indeed, cross stitch and talk.

One of the priorities for my next cruise is to spend some time by myself since in my everyday life I'm pulled in many directions. I'm looking forward to sitting and reading or cross stitching. I'm sure there will be times I'll want to socialize, and if I happen to hit it off with some people on my roll call or in the studio lounge I may even have some meals or go to a show or two with them. But, I certainly don't count on that. I wouldn't cruise solo if I needed to have companions for everything I do--I would see if I could recruit a friend or two or being DD along. I find many people don't understand women like me who are happy and fulfilled without being part of a couple.

Edited by Quilting_Cruiser

Hank

Now that I think more about it if you were picking your nose first and then someone joined you knowing that you were picking your nose then they would get what they deserve. The same could go for reading I guess. If someone was reading at a table alone and then were joined by someone then they too knew what they were getting into as well.

I am going to post a link to a different site that had a similar discussion (several years ago) with some interesting responses. Not sure this is in keeping with the CC Guidelines but it is fun

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/chat/2293941/posts

To be honest, we never had even thought about this issue before getting involved with this particular thread.

Hank

I am going to post a link to a different site that had a similar discussion (several years ago) with some interesting responses. Not sure this is in keeping with the CC Guidelines but it is fun

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/chat/2293941/posts

To be honest, we never had even thought about this issue before getting involved with this particular thread.

Hank

Good read. ;)

I infer that you're questioning my saying I'm an extrovert. Since you don't know me, you can't know that I'm anything but an introvert--most of my friends would describe me as the life of the party, so not introverted. But I don't think my being an extrovert means I need to be talking with people and being socialable 24/7. Even extroverted people sometimes enjoy time to themselves. I travel solo about half the time and when I do travel solo, I enjoy the solitude because in my daily life I'm almost constantly surrounded by others, many of whom are needing my direction and guidance in order to do their jobs. It is entirely possible for an extrovert to sit quietly by herself and actually enjoy it.

Interesting how many people commenting on this thread are very black and white (one might say one-dimensional) in their thinking. People are either rude or they're not; they follow the rules of etiquette or they don't; they're extroverted or introverted. I don't really see life that way--I see many shades of gray. :)

Actually, my question was simply about how you would characterize an introvert - making no inference about ability,or inability, to multi-task.

To be fair, I did say that people might find me odd or rude because I'm cross stitching instead of chatting with others. But, yes, I'm fully capable of cross stitching and chatting at the same time. :D ...

So you can multi-task. Hell, I do well to walk and chew gum at the same time. I usually trip.

Edited by Treven

Actually, my question was simply about how you would characterize an introvert - making no inference about ability,or inability, to multi-task.

The multi-tasking came up after your question, so I didn't think your asking how I would characterize an introvert had anything to do with multi-tasking. You said:

Based on the way you worded your question, I think it's reasonable that I would infer you see a conflict in my saying that I would be cross stitching rather than chatting up my fellow cruisers and my saying that I'm an extrovert. Since that's what I perceived you were implying, I chose to address that. So, if you're simply asking how I would characterize an introvert and not implying that I am one, and I didn't know your background in psychology--which of course I don't--I would say an introvert is someone who prefers one-on-one vs. group settings, generally isn't the center of attention, and may feel uncomfortable in crowds. If I were talking professionally, I would characterize differently (using Myers Briggs as a reference).

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all - I'm the OP of this thread and I wanted to let you know how I'm making out on the Anthem of the Seas cruise. I've had no problem getting a table for one in the dining venues. However, the diners at the adjacent tables have been so interesting and nice that I haven't been reading my book!! Lol!! Seven more days to go! [emoji41]

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Hi all - I'm the OP of this thread and I wanted to let you know how I'm making out on the Anthem of the Seas cruise. I've had no problem getting a table for one in the dining venues. However, the diners at the adjacent tables have been so interesting and nice that I haven't been reading my book!! Lol!! Seven more days to go! [emoji41]

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Thanks for getting ack to us.