Traveling solo - reading during meals

newatt_now

I agree with the majority... it is rude. Why not have your meals in your cabin if you want to read and not talk to people. In fact why are you on a cruise if you don't want to talk to people?

I agree with the majority... it is rude. Why not have your meals in your cabin if you want to read and not talk to people. In fact why are you on a cruise if you don't want to talk to people?

In fact you've got no right to be alive:eek:

Sheesh people if someone wants to eat alone and read that's their business.

There is probably only about 4 people on earth whose company I prefer than being alone.

Does that mean I have no right to leave the house.

Some people cruise for reasons other than to make new BFFs.

This response has to be facetious.

Never once have we thought, 'let's take a cruise to talk to other people!' Before we retired, we often specifically cruised just to talk to each other since our lives were so busy and DH was traveling more than 50% of the time. Even now, we don't cruise to make friends although we are very good at small talk if someone else starts the conversation :D.

We cruise for lots of other reasons: cruising is a welcomed escape from everyday activities and provides great transportation from one interesting destination to another while being waited on, fed, and having activities catered to our interests (entertainment, lectures, etc).

I don't agree. But thank you for your response. I am a VERY social person and have no problems involving others in polite conversation when warrented. If I paid for a solo ticket to cruise, then I should be allowed to read. What if I am so busy at work and life that I have had absolutely no time to read and have been looking forward to the cruise just for that purpose? I love MDR food. I love the options and I love being served. Room service is NOT MDR food. Why would I have to settle on an interpretation of social etiquette? I didn't ask to sit with those people. I would excuse myself from conversation politely and explain my situation.

Perhaps the rudeness comes from those that are not understanding and unforgiving? Golden rule is always the best rule. I would not FORCE a person to converse if they were placed at my table against their choice. I think that is rude. I would make sure they knew that I understood and that there was no offense taken, please read away. See? Everyone is happy.

Now can I eat my dessert and finish this chapter? LOL.

Hmm, I live exactly the life you describe. I've been a single mom for many years with a demanding full-time job of much more than 40 hrs/week AND I take a class one night a week as well. I love to read and do not have near enough time to do it at home either.

Nevertheless, I would never read at a table with others. It is against every rule of etiquette I know. I have no issue at all reading when I am at a table alone -- and let me add that I have NEVER on many different cruise lines had trouble getting a table alone when requested -- but I would not read at a table with others, any more than I would carry on a cell phone conversation at table.

I travel frequently on a line with many solo passengers. I like to dine on the al fresco terrace at the stern of the ship (self-seating) and I go early to stake out a prime table for two, with my Kindle. There have been several times when I've been approached by another solo passenger and asked if I mind company. Even if I would have preferred to read, I put my Kindle away with a smile -- and have enjoyed some really great conversations.

To me, THAT is a better illustration of the Golden Rule. ;)

Edited by cruisemom42

Wow, this topic has generated many replies .

Guess that it seems Okay to read by yourself during meals if you are seated by yourself , but with others , not such a nice idea.

Sitting just reading during meals at the busy Lido buffet is really thoughtless.

But so many were telling OP they aren't welcomed in the MDR and to go to the buffet. :rolleyes:

Reading while eating at the buffet is not the issue. It's sitting there reading with no evidence of eating, as in no plates on the table, or even just a cup of coffee. Meanwhile, people are walking around balancing their plates trying to find somewhere to sit. I've seen it any number of times as an observer and doing the balancing act.

Reading while eating at the buffet is not the issue. It's sitting there reading with no evidence of eating, as in no plates on the table, or even just a cup of coffee. Meanwhile, people are walking around balancing their plates trying to find somewhere to sit. I've seen it any number of times as an observer and doing the balancing act.

Unless I'm mistaken, that hasn't been an issue we've been discussing at all. We've been taking about whether it's rude to read while you're eating a meal, not whether it's rude to take up space at a table when you're not eating (reading or not). This new wrinkle will just open a whole new can of worms! :eek:

Unless I'm mistaken, that hasn't been an issue we've been discussing at all. We've been taking about whether it's rude to read while you're eating a meal, not whether it's rude to take up space at a table when you're not eating (reading or not). This new wrinkle will just open a whole new can of worms! :eek:

... and that's a can I certainly wouldn't open, nor even touch!

Yes, it is a new wrinkle but it's not unusual for discussions to veer off the original subject.;) Hey, I didn't start it.:D

For the record, if someone wants to read during dinner and not join in any conversations, it doesn't bother me. :)

Yes, it is a new wrinkle but it's not unusual for discussions to veer off the original subject.;) Hey, I didn't start it.:D

For the record, if someone wants to read during dinner and not join in any conversations, it doesn't bother me. :)

Yes, I've seen that many times, but in this case it's been truly fascinating to see the emotion involved in answering what appeared to be a simple question about reading while eating! :eek: You didn't start it, but unless folks are tired of it, you may have fanned the flame. We shall see...:p

Edited by Quilting_Cruiser

I will Capriccio! There were plenty of empty single tables. I think the servers were making it easier for themselves by bunching people together in large groups - less tables to clean up after breakfast. I was annoyed, but I did what I was told to do. Next time I will be much firmer about my seating arrangements!

We find we have to be quite firm even to get a table for two at breakfast or lunch. Both of us enjoy reading during those meals and do not want to share a table with other people. We enjoy socializing over dinner though and would not read then except in exceptional circumstances like the night I ended up at our table by myself for dinner (DH was unwell and didn't want dinner).

I'll have to remember to grab a little plate and put a piece of bread on it the next time I wander into the buffet area. Then, I guess I'll be free to sit and read ;)

Any worthwhile conversation, in which the participants are intellectually capable of understanding new concepts, is subject to evolution beyond the bounds of the original topic. To the extent reading at a table when not eating is a rational extension of the topic of just plain reading at a table, it is not a new wrinkle at all - simply a complication to an earlier posit.

I'll have to remember to grab a little plate and put a piece of bread on it the next time I wander into the buffet area. Then, I guess I'll be free to sit and read ;)

I was thinking the same thing. :) If I want to read after I've finished eating lunch in Lido, I better have a cup of coffee and a muffin or fruit or something sitting on the table. :eek:

I wonder if there is a time limit that requires we vacate after a certain number of minutes? I think one is a chair hog if they have a lounger by the pool and leave to use the restroom and are gone some fixed number of minutes? Is it 30 minutes?

Any worthwhile conversation, in which the participants are intellectually capable of understanding new concepts, is subject to evolution beyond the bounds of the original topic. To the extent reading at a table when not eating is a rational extension of the topic of just plain reading at a table, it is not a new wrinkle at all - simply a complication to an earlier posit.

Thank you ever so much for educating me. :rolleyes:

I was thinking the same thing. :) If I want to read after I've finished eating lunch in Lido, I better have a cup of coffee and a muffin or fruit or something sitting on the table. :eek:

I wonder if there is a time limit that requires we vacate after a certain number of minutes? I think one is a chair hog if they have a lounger by the pool and leave to use the restroom and are gone some fixed number of minutes? Is it 30 minutes?

Don't be silly now. There are plenty of places to sit and read but not so to sit down and eat.

Don't be silly now. There are plenty of places to sit and read but not so to sit down and eat.

I agree. There doesn't need to be a time limit on sitting at a Lido table and reading while eating ..... and after you've finished eating. The only things needed are consideration and common sense. If you see people who need a table to sit at and you aren't eating ------ find another place to read.

I know that common sense seems to be dwindling, but let's hope that there is still a fair amount of consideration to guide us all.

Soooo, if I go to breakfast and rudely start reading a book and my table mates are so outraged by my rudeness that they get up and storm out and I am left alone at a table for 8 eating and reading my book - that's a bad thing right? I'M JUST KIDDING [emoji15]

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

....or a can of worms on the table!:D

Edited by DirtyDawg

Soooo, if I go to breakfast and rudely start reading a book and my table mates are so outraged by my rudeness that they get up and storm out and I am left alone at a table for 8 eating and reading my book - that's a bad thing right? I'M JUST KIDDING [emoji15]

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

You are learning fast.:D

Enjoy your reading-filled cruise.