Traveling solo - reading during meals

newatt_now

I am traveling solo for a 12 day cruise on the Anthem in February. I like to read during breakfast and lunch. I find that I am often seated with strangers and forced to make conversation. Would it be terribly rude if I just read my book and let those who want to chat get on with it?

You should be abel to sit by yourself for Breakfast and Lunch and that would just make it all the easier for you to read the book with no one thinking otherwise as to why you don't want to chat with them.

Keith

not so much any more.. we are finding more and more than the staff will not make it easy to be seated just your party unless you will fill a table by yourself. and usually the 4 tops.

I would most likely consider someone who buried their nose in a book, ipad or game boy rude. but I would not be bothered if you chose not to engage in idle conversation. I am willing to give the benefit of the doubt there (language barrier, incapable of being coherent before your third cup of coffee, hungover. etc). you can read after the meal.

I would most likely consider someone who buried their nose in a book, ipad or game boy rude. but I would not be bothered if you chose not to engage in idle conversation. I am willing to give the benefit of the doubt there (language barrier, incapable of being coherent before your third cup of coffee, hungover. etc). you can read after the meal.

So what are they supposed to do? Stare at the wall?:confused:

I am traveling solo for a 12 day cruise on the Anthem in February. I like to read during breakfast and lunch. I find that I am often seated with strangers and forced to make conversation. Would it be terribly rude if I just read my book and let those who want to chat get on with it?

If one is seated with others, it is the height of rudeness to read while dining. If one is seated by oneself, it is perfectly appropriate.

Doc

If you would like to read, I suggest sitting at a table by yourself. They have tables for two they can seat you at. I think most would be put off by someone who read at the table with them.

I agree. It would be quite rude to occupy yourself with book etc and ignore someone who is seated at your table.

So what are they supposed to do? Stare at the wall?:confused:

Ask for a table for oneself. If that is not granted, tell the person seating guests you plan to read and you do not want to be rude to someone else (s)he may sit there so please consider your request. Your needs and desires are just as important as anyone/everyone else's. Obviously, your best chance is if you don't go at the height of the busiest lunch time.

Edited by sail7seas

Ask for a table for oneself. If that is not granted, tell the person seating guests you plan to read and you do not want to be rude to someone else (s)he may sit there so please consider your request. Your needs and desires are just as important as anyone/everyone else's. Obviously, your best chance is if you don't go at the height of the busiest lunch time.

Yea, that is a perfectly logical suggestion, but I was asking the person who said they wouldn't mind if someone sat there and didn't talk to anyone, but would mind if they were reading. If you don't mind if they just sit there not talking, why mind if the read?

I think it depends on the size of the table. if it is a table of 4 it would be more awkward than say a table of 10.

I'd probably right up front say 'I'd like to read during lunch, so a private table please'. Unfortuantely lunch hours can be very short on some ships, 60 to 90 minutes.

I would mind if someone seated at a table with others wouldn't have the simple manners to be minimally cordial. If you really want to avoid others, then do just that. Get Room Service or go to the buffet and find a quiet place to eat by yourself. I now travel solo so am among those who have to make those choices.

No one says you have to give your life history but basic manners do say a hello, introduce yourself and a pleasant word is expected.

Edited by sail7seas

I would mind if someone seated at a table with others wouldn't have the simple manners to be minimally cordial. If you really want to avoid others, then do just that.

No one says you have to give your life history but basic manners do say a hello, introduce yourself and a pleasant word is expected.

On my last cruise we were sat debarkation morning with 2 other couples; so 6 adults total. Everyone said hello and chit chatted a little bit, and after saying hello and smiling one guy buried his face in a magazine. It really didn't bother me.

To me someone wanting to read doesn't mean they will be rude to others, they may introduce themselves or have a very brief conversation and then "do their thing". Heck, I would think it would be less awkward for them to be reading than to be sitting silently and staring off blankly. Like I said, the size of the table probably has an impact.

I do think others would find it rude if they were seated at the same table with you and you were reading; however, and as others have said, you should be able to be seated at a table by yourself. I also travel solo (visit the solo cruisers forum here on CC, and you'll find lots of information for solo cruisers--this has been a topic of discussion there as well) and simply ask for a table by myself. I haven't experienced a problem getting one--there hasn't even been a question about it, and if there were I would be politely firm that I don't want to be seated with others. Like you, I enjoy reading while I'm eating.

Enjoy your cruise!

You know... I think another thing to consider is to explain to the table your situation. That there were not other "single" tables for you to sit at, and that you would like to state that your plan was to read during the meal, and to please not take offense as you are going to take advantage of the time to read and not join in conversation. Then nose down into the pages I would go. Sometimes explaining your plight allows others to become comfortable with you reading at the table.

If you have a table to yourself: no problem. It is a bit discourteous to bury your head in a book if you are seated with others. One solution would be to take a table for two and tip the chair opposite you to signal that it was being saved - then you could reasonably bury your head in a book. Of course, if you are eating in the Lido, or whatever the buffet is called, during a very busy time it might be considered rude to make other single diners wait while you held a two person table for yourself.

The odds are that whatever you do might be seen by someone as rude, so you should just decide if you want to do your own thing regardless.