UBP question

kaultra

We sailed NCL out of Miami March 2106 and loved the UBP. The only extra charge was sales tax when ordering a drink in Miami before we sailed away. No other extra charges. Has that now changed? I'm looking to book a last minute cruise for March and wanted the promo again but want to be sure about what I will actually spend. We are looking to book a balcony on the Getaway in March. Thanks.

The drink is free, the tax and 18% gratuity are not.

This is a little misleading. The 18% is paid ahead of time, whether the UBP comes as a promo or purchased.

Keith's post above is correct. The only thing additional charged on board is any applicable tax.

I'm looking to book a last minute cruise for March and wanted the promo again but want to be sure about what I will actually spend. We are looking to book a balcony on the Getaway in March. Thanks.

I thought I read where customers don't get the free UBP if booking within thirty days of sailing.

Thank you. I guess I will have to think about this. The dining package will have a similar fee I guess. We like to do our own shore excursions and I can't imagine needing too much wifi on vacation. GEEZ. These promos are less appealing!

Thank you. I guess I will have to think about this. The dining package will have a similar fee I guess. We like to do our own shore excursions and I can't imagine needing too much wifi on vacation. GEEZ. These promos are less appealing!

The beverage package is really speaking for drinkers. The 18% of the dining package isn't that much especially considering that you would actually be using all of the diners and it doesn't cost nearly as much as the beverage package.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Okay I am confused. When booking our cruise , we selected tge UBP and paid taxes and the 18% up front. Are you saying there are extra charges we will encounter related to this, while on board?
You will have no further service charge when you order drinks that are fully included in the UBP. However, in some ports on some itineraries, you may have to pay local taxes on the menu price of drink orders, even if they are covered by the UBP. The taxes you paid upfront with your cruise fare are something different, and they do not cover your onboard purchases.

Okay I am confused. When booking our cruise , we selected tge UBP and paid taxes and the 18% up front. Are you saying there are extra charges we will encounter related to this, while on board?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

On the Getaway 1/10 before leaving the Port of Miami for a Margarita it was $.94 cents extra tax, even though I had several and Husband had a few beers at O'Sheehans before sailaway the only one I was charged extra tax on was Waves Pool Bar for $.94. After sailaway and when you reach a certain area out to sea you no longer have to pay extra tax for Miami. They had us sign the receipts before we were at a certain spot out to sea then after that we did not have to sign anything!

Misleading would be more appropriate. Good to know though.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

I was taken aback by the service charges on the free drinks package as well, mainly because I have had free drinks on a cruise before and there was no additional charge -- the free drinks and associated and necessary service attached was also included. Personally, I don't love it, but it is what it is. We could see other lines adopt a similar policy. Hope not, but I expect it.

In fairness, and at least for now, based on menus I have seen, NCL does allow for more expensive drinks in their plan -- drinks up to 15 dollars, which covers alot more than say the basic drinks package (the free one) on Celebrity, so it's not exactly an apples to apples comparison, and there is a little give and take there. If they added specialty coffees, I'd see that as a plus.

As for the taxes while in port -- I expect we'll soon be seeing more of those as more and more cities start to ponder a possible future cash infusion -- you know what they say about death and taxes.

And, mostly, welcome to Cruise Critic! :)

I was taken aback by the service charges on the free drinks package as well, mainly because I have had free drinks on a cruise before and there was no additional charge -- the free drinks and associated and necessary service attached was also included. Personally, I don't love it, but it is what it is. We could see other lines adopt a similar policy. Hope not, but I expect it.

In fairness, and at least for now, based on menus I have seen, NCL does allow for more expensive drinks in their plan -- drinks up to 15 dollars, which covers alot more than say the basic drinks package (the free one) on Celebrity, so it's not exactly an apples to apples comparison, and there is a little give and take there. If they added specialty coffees, I'd see that as a plus.

As for the taxes while in port -- I expect we'll soon be seeing more of those as more and more cities start to ponder a possible future cash infusion -- you know what they say about death and taxes.

And, mostly, welcome to Cruise Critic! :)

I was looking at beverage packages on many of the other lines last night and a vast majority of them charge the service charge now. NCL's was the highest, but many had a 15% gratuity (service charge) tacked on to the cost of the package.

• 1 month later...

Where does one go to find out about this. We're going to Alaska from Seattle So. Let's say we're having drinks from noon till ship leaves at 4pm. We pay drink + 18% gratuity plus another tax. Is that correct?