Lunch served in the MDR?

BigB0882

I have seen John Heald mention more than once about lunch in the MDR. He made a mention of it on the Dream while it was on a Journeys cruise and another mention today about it on the Breeze.

I have been on the Dream twice and the Elation twice and never once did I see a single mention of lunch being served in the MDR. If it had been I would have been eating there, especially on the Elation since it doesn't have the Tandoori buffet.

Does the MDR serve lunch on all ships and I have completely missed this? Or is it just on some ships and/or some sailings (like the Journeys cruises)? I could see it happening on the Journey's cruises if that is how it used to be done.

My cruise on the Pride this past August was my first cruise in nearly 10 years and my first thought was, oh how things have changed.

With that being said, one of the first things I noticed was that there was no lunch in the MDR anymore! :( I know some people aren't a fan of it, and most of the time it is easier to grab lunch at the buffet when you're hanging around the pool. But if the weather was bad, or we felt that we wanted to "treat" ourselves to a nice sit-down meal (that was free), it was nice to have lunch in the MDR. It was nice to be waited on instead of standing in a buffet line all the time.

I am very upset that this was another cut Carnival has made over the course of the last decade. They do offer a brunch on sea days, but that doesn't even compare IMO.

I love seaday Brunch and perhaps that is what Mr. Heald was referring to. He just called it lunch (and it does run until 1 PM so it goes well into lunch). I didn't consider that he may have been talking about Brunch.

Always look at the FunTimes.

Technically days 2 and day 3 of my Victory cruise were port days, but the MDR was open and I ate there both times for lunch; it depends on the times of arrival and departure.

Yes I do like the MDR for lunch.

I feel like when JH asks a question he is really looking to see if

Yes - you like it, so maybe carnival can make you pay.

No - didn't even notice it was an option, so carnival can toss it.

I bet MDR lunch disappears completely soon. cost savings.

On our HI cruise we had 8 full sea days and arrived into Ensenada after lunch time. We had 3 days with breakfast and lunch and the other sea days had the brunch. The lunch menus were different each day.

Sailing on the Miracle this Sunday in the 13day MR cruise. We have 6 sea days. Expecting at least one lunch.

Always look at the FunTimes.

Technically days 2 and day 3 of my Victory cruise were port days, but the MDR was open and I ate there both times for lunch; it depends on the times of arrival and departure.

Yes I do like the MDR for lunch.

I feel like when JH asks a question he is really looking to see if

Yes - you like it, so maybe carnival can make you pay.

No - didn't even notice it was an option, so carnival can toss it.

I bet MDR lunch disappears completely soon. cost savings.

Do miss the lunch on port days when we go out late or come back early but those days are gone.

I do agree that there is often an ulterior motive for JH's questions

I do think lunch may be available in MDR for Journeys cruises, because aren't those supposed to be a throwback to the 80's? I could believe that if that were true.

Also, I remember someone else saying on one of their cruises, lunch was available on embarkation day in the dining room....and I'm thinking that it was a cruise on the Breeze. Not 100% sure, but IIRC that was the case.

Lunch is not usually offered in the MDR. Yes, it does occur on some sailings. Journey's cruise and some of the longer sailings do offer it but it is not a regular occurrence. It went away in either late 2011 or early 2012 when the George Lopez Comedy Sea Day Brunch was introduced. (Thankfully they no longer call it a Comedy Brunch.) There was also a short time when it was offered on the Dream Class ships on embarkation day. Likely do to concerns regarding the volume of people. But again this no longer occurs. Happy cruising everyone.

21 days in the Dream, no MDR lunch. The brunch was decent, but more of a breakfast. We loved the MDR brunch. We are not fans of buffets and rarely eat there. The only buffet we ate was breakfast because they stop serving at 9, about our wake up time. The scrambled eggs were pathetic. I ordered 3 scrambled eggs at the omelet station, hold the grease.

The answer to whether the MDR serves lunch is "it depends". I've never seen it offered either on embarkation day or any day when we're in port. On the longer cruises with many sea days, I have found that breakfast/lunch service alternates with brunch.

On the Triumph last February, we had 3 sea days - the first and third had brunch, while the second had breakfast and lunch.

On my recent cruise on the Triumph, we had 4 sea days - the first and last had brunch, while the middle two had breakfast and lunch.

I haven't actually attended the MDR for breakfast, brunch, or lunch, so someone else will have to tell you how the meals and service are.