Staying in Ft. Laud

cruiselvr1

We will be staying at the Embassy suites for the 4th. time this summer, although an older hotel, we like the amenities, free breakfast (massive) and a free evening cocktail reception.

The pool is beautiful and the gym is a tad small with not many selections.

Close walking distance to shopping and restuarants.

Took a cab to port twice and shuttle once.

Enjoy, we did.

Safe travels.

Like I said earlier we don't stay there anymore.

We have stayed there over a 15 year period

A one time 6 week straight stay hardly gives one an honest look at long term issues.

I am not the only one who has poo pooed the Pier 66.

Glad you like it. We don't.

No, you are right, a six week stay would give me no idea of issues within the hotel especially since we are at the bar a couple times a month and spend time with my parents there on their two month stays a year.

We spent 4 nights in a tower room at Hyatt Pier 66 in December prior to our Princess cruise and have booked the same hotel for October before our Panama Canal cruise. Our experience with Hyatt has been positive - Hyatt Regency, House and Place in many locations. Small issues do not effect our opinion of any hotel chain, only serious issues that are not rectified immediately will prevent me from staying again - that's why you'll never see me at a Marriott property.

Hyatt 66 is a resort and that is one of the reasons we like it. The property has a nice pool area, dining and drinks pool-side, plenty of walking paths, and checking out the yachts can be fun, too. There's a variety of price-point dining venues - excellent steak house - I recall it's associated with Mezzaluna, another favorite close to Hyatt Place.

Any room issues have always been taken care of promptly. There's some nostalgia, too, as DH recalls dining atop the tower with his grand parents back in the early 60's.

My only complaint is the price to park at the property, but we combine points with promo and agree - it's vacation - our bar on the ship can be worse! Oh, love Thursday afternoon happy hour wine at the lobby bar. We do book the buffet breakfast package, cheaper than a la carte.

For our stay in October, we decided to book one of the marina rooms, not facing the water, but one looking out at the pool. The tower rooms we usually get have a great view of the ships leaving PE - but can be very windy if the weather turns bad.

Be sure to join the hotel chain's Passport program and start collecting points.

Darcy

Thank You, I was a little worried for a minute but feel much better now. We hope to get a room with a view of the ships leaving, there will be several leaving the evening before our cruise. What is at the top now? I wish it was still a bar or restaurant.

Thank You, I was a little worried for a minute but feel much better now. We hope to get a room with a view of the ships leaving, there will be several leaving the evening before our cruise. What is at the top now? I wish it was still a bar or restaurant.

It's no longer a bar or restaurant, but used for private functions. We tried to go to the top, but couldn't. I agree, having a top-of-the-tower bar would be a plus for Hyatt... top of the 6's? DH said it used to rotate!

We had a tower room that looked toward the tennis courts and 17th St, and with its corner location, we could see yachts tied up along the canal. From there you could easily see ships leaving and arriving. You can hear the ships' horn blasts as they leave the port, even DCL sounding M-I-C-K-E-Y.

When you check in, be sure to obtain a map of the property - it shows location of Pelican's, the steak house, pools, hair salon, spa, and kids areas, etc.

Darcy

This property may not be a Hyatt for that much longer. I read two news stories today that the property is up for sale. The contract with Hyatt to run the hotel expires in 2016 so the new owner could contract with someone else if they wish.

http://www.fortlauderdaledaily.com/upfront/noteworthy/hyatt-regency-pier-66-resort-and-marina-now-sale

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

This property may not be a Hyatt for that much longer. I read two news stories today that the property is up for sale. The contract with Hyatt to run the hotel expires in 2016 so the new owner could contract with someone else if they wish.

http://www.fortlauderdaledaily.com/upfront/noteworthy/hyatt-regency-pier-66-resort-and-marina-now-sale

I hope it doesn't get torn down.

• 9 months later...

I'm from Ft. Lauderdale originally and worked at the Hotel for a few years back in the 90's.

It's a beautiful property with a great resort feel. My wife and I will be staying there for the night before our December sailing.

I can't testify about the current quality of the rooms or service, but I can tell you that the beauty and "resort feel" of the grounds (pool, pool bar, marina, marina bar, etc.) makes it a very worthwhile choice IMO if you will be spending any time at all in the hotel.

After reading Trip advisor and other publications, we still not sure where to stay, before our cruise. Hyatt pier 66 didn't get good reviews. It seems to be the closest to the Port, any suggestions.

Thanks

Just one night prior to your cruise? What time does your flight arrive? How many are in your party?

One size does not fit all.

I'm from Ft. Lauderdale originally and worked at the Hotel for a few years back in the 90's.

It's a beautiful property with a great resort feel. My wife and I will be staying there for the night before our December sailing.

I can't testify about the current quality of the rooms or service, but I can tell you that the beauty and "resort feel" of the grounds (pool, pool bar, marina, marina bar, etc.) makes it a very worthwhile choice IMO if you will be spending any time at all in the hotel.

Unless they are going to arrive early in the day, it's overkill. It's kind of hard to enjoy it unless you have some time. I think you are going to be very disappointed when you see how it has aged and condition.

Do you have any information on this?

By dropping its corporate hotel affiliation will make the property less attractive to investors. Deals like this take months to finalize.

I have a feeling the reason for the sale is Hyatt told the owners they were going to have to spend a boatload of cash on the property for them to keep the Hyatt Flag and they decided to sell rather than invest. I don't know anything official, it's just what I read between the lines.

Edited by Lido_Deck

I have a feeling the reason for the sale is Hyatt told the owners they were going to have to spend a boatload of cash on the property for them to keep the Hyatt Flag and they decided to sell rather than invest. I don't know anything official, it's just what I read between the lines.

The reason for the sale is that the hedge fund who owns it went ahead and spent a little money getting permits for two condo towers, a hotel, and tens of thousands of square feet of conference center. The hotel was sold in a package and is now being broken off and sold because it is so much more valuable than it was.

Flying the Hyatt flag is about amenities of the property and not the physical shape it is in. I had almost twenty years in the hotel business before I got out.

We flew in on Thanksgiving day for a cruise departure on Sunday. That meant 3 pre-cruise nights. We were met with friendly smiles and immediate assistance with luggage. We used the pre-checkin app and got in perfectly after our 11pm arrival. The front desk clerk confirmed our check in, and since we were early, accommodated us with an upgrade to a better floor with a marina view!

FtLauderdaleHiltonView_zpsppzcolal.jpg

The bed was comfortable and the room spotless. There were the usual bathroom amenities and those were replaced each day. The rooms mini-fridge was a great plus as well. Closet and drawer space are limited, so keep that in mind. There was an iron and blowdryer. The website photos are accurate depictions of the rooms.

The pool is clean and nice with several pool chairs around. The marina itself is HIGHLY entertaining with the many million+ dollar yachts moored nearby. There is also a reasonable gym in the hotel.

During our 3 day stay we ate at the pool bar a couple of times, the hotel bar once and the Japanese restaurant once. The food was fresh and delicious on all occasions as well as delivered hot and promptly.

Pool bar: This can be PACKED if there is a game on, or more than one cruise ship is in town. A tip here is to go TO the bar, place your order and then tell them were around the pool you are seated and they will bring your food. The Quinoa Salad is excellent!!

Hotel bar: Reasonable bistro fare. Sweet potato fries are delish!

Japanese Restaurant: Wow what a great meal. The Lobster Bomb sushi roll is well...the bomb! Comes with a little martini glass with lobster meat.

We had an overnight package expected, and the front desk was diligent about tracking it down until they found it for us.

Some other precruise tips....there is a Walgreens literally down the street about a 6 minute walk. It's a full service Walgreens with a decent wine area. Great to stock up on water, soda and a couple of bottles before the cruise.

There is also a bank next door to break currency or to get currency exchanged.

There are lots of taxi's available and the hotel is serviced by a third party shuttle service that will get you to the pier.

This hotel seems to be an overflow hotel for the Hyatt Pier66, or maybe the Hyatt is an overflow for the Hilton...but whatever the case, it's about a 10 minute easy pleasant walk across the bridge to either one.

Great option for pre-cruise...will stay again.

Unless they are going to arrive early in the day, it's overkill. It's kind of hard to enjoy it unless you have some time. I think you are going to be very disappointed when you see how it has aged and condition.

You might be right, but I booked it primarily for the nostalgia so I won't be too disappointed regardless. :)

It's no longer a bar or restaurant, but used for private functions. We tried to go to the top, but couldn't. I agree, having a top-of-the-tower bar would be a plus for Hyatt... top of the 6's? DH said it used to rotate!Darcy

Yup! One rotation took 66 minutes.