Whisper WC.3 Papeete to Sydney

duct tape

Many thanks Duct Tape for you blog. Sorry not to be onboard this WC but will enjoy reading about it. At home in the cold windy weather. Enjoy your steak tartare lunch! We always did at you kind invitation.

Say hello to all onboard.

Another aborted stop...Raratonga, Cook Islands today! 5 days back @ sea except for crossing the Dateline. Cuts it down to 4! Colin and the entire crew have to reorganize the day at the drop of Corsaro's messages. All are doing a great job!

Once again the swells have prevented us from going ashore on Rarotonga, Cook Islands. We are a wee bit disappointed, however safety must come first.

Here is a sad little picture of the island. Sorry about the quality as I was shooting into the sun.

DSC00602_zpslniurylb.jpg

I'm obviously sorry, Mysty, but not surprised. I think this ship will sail from Lima to Sydney and miss maybe 80 percent of its scheduled stops. I'm in touch with a few other people on different ships at the moment and missing ports of call is becoming an increasingly common occurrence in my view.

Noble Caledonia's Island Sky, an expedition vessel and sister ship to Silver Galapagos, called twice at Aldabra recently and ran into heavy weather which prevented landings. And a large, 800 passenger Saga ship, the Sapphire, missed a call at the Azores, sailed on towards the Caribbean and then sailed back to the Azores because a passenger needed airlifting to hospital.

This is all part of the joys, unpredictability and downright frustration at cruising. However, I think the health and safety police are perhaps being slightly over zealous on some occasions.

Misty - where else are you hoping to go? You should be able to make places like Apia, Pago Pago, Noumea and Port Vila. Isle of Pines is possible. I think you should forget Norfolk Island if that's on your itinerary. Landing there is as bumpy as Pitcairn.

Edited by Fletcher

Fletcher....our next port is Tauranga, New Zealand on February 7. Hopefully we will be able to get ashore there. :) This is an awesome experience for us. Just being on this cruise is a joy! Missing ports is a little disappointing yet understandable in the litigious sense of the world today. Thanks for your sympathies though! :)

Thanks Mysty . . . Cook Islands to NZ, that's quite a long way! Tauranga has a proper dock, I think, so you'll get alongside there. The tropical South Pacific is in the wettest season right now, as you know, but NZ should be great, weatherwise.

I had the most harrowing tender experiences in Monte Carlo of all places. To get caught out in big swells is extremely uncomfortable and very hazardous to crew and passengers alike. Trying to re-board the vessel can be near impossible for some. French Polynesia is lovely and it's unfortunate you are missing these. I'm sure you all will continue to enjoy the lovely Whisper.

Weather wise we have been lucky whilst at sea. The swell has been the problem when needing to tender ashore. We had some torrential downpours in Tahiti and Bora Bora but apart from that, every day has been a pool deck day. Sitting on deck nine as I write with the early morning walkers doing their stuff. [emoji2]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

A couple of days ago we had the calmest seas I have ever seen. Barely a ripple broke the surface.

DSC00605_zps45emonbk.jpg

Last night Myster and I enjoyed Wild Boar Stew at La Terrazza. It was delicious! I tucked right into it before I remembered to take a picture. Please excuse the fork! :)

DSC00607_zpsvdocifoi.jpg

Tomorrow is Tauranga, New Zealand. Looking forward to dry land!

We are in Tauranga, New Zealand today. Here is a picture of Mount Maunganui taken as we were sailing into the port.

DSC00618_zpswcghqbwi.jpg

Myster and I walked around the base of Mount Maunganui (2.9 kilometres) this morning along with many families. It is Waitangi Day weekend - New Zealand's National Holiday.

Today we are in Auckland, New Zealand. Here is a picture from Albert Park - Queen Victoria.

DSC00675_zpsjypnpjrk.jpg

Myster and I treated ourselves to lunch at Harbourside in the Ferry Building. We had John Dory for 2 with a lovely New Zealand white wine.

DSC00681_zpsx9mjw4m7.jpg

Such a nice day here in Bay of Islands. Capt. Chiesa and his wife, Laura, are on board. Always great to see him looking so well. Oops, I forgot to ask Laura to pray us across a gentle Tasman. She has done that quite often...Capt Chiesa always said she had a direct line to God!

We're in Bay of Islands, New Zealand today. Overcast but fairly warm weather.

Here is a picture of the wharf at Paihia, Bay of Islands.

DSC00693_zps8tjvzpo4.jpg

We had lunch in Russell after taking the ferry from Paihia. We ate at The Duke of Malborough. Red Lion draft and fish and chips.

DSC00713_zpsmsmnesdp.jpg

The world is full of tourist traps. Russell is one I like being trapped in! A gorgeous place with a stunning beach behind the town, over the headland and past Dame Kiri's place.

Those fish and chips looks absolutely scrumptious.

Edited by Fletcher