veranda vs. penthouse Riviera

lidge

Hello,

This is our first time on Oceania... we are planning a trip with friends for next year.

I am very interested in the above suites and have gone through several posts already searching for a picture of the actual balcony of this suite. I have seen pictures from outside the ship and it does appear that the balcony is angled. I have also seen pictures of 7111 at the rear and I see that 2 chairs/2 loungers looks possible but just want to confirm that this is the case with 7008/7009. I think we would prefer the forward cabins (vs 7108/7111) due to wind. We also looked at the PH1 with wrap around decks on deck 7... but the $$ is just a bit too pricey.

If anyone has pictures of the 7008/7009 balconies I would really appreciate if you could post them.

Many Thanks!

Hello,

This is our first time on Oceania... we are planning a trip with friends for next year.

I am very interested in the above suites and have gone through several posts already searching for a picture of the actual balcony of this suite. I have seen pictures from outside the ship and it does appear that the balcony is angled. I have also seen pictures of 7111 at the rear and I see that 2 chairs/2 loungers looks possible but just want to confirm that this is the case with 7008/7009. I think we would prefer the forward cabins (vs 7108/7111) due to wind. We also looked at the PH1 with wrap around decks on deck 7... but the $$ is just a bit too pricey.

If anyone has pictures of the 7008/7009 balconies I would really appreciate if you could post them.

Many Thanks!

7108/7111 would be my preference (even with some wind) since there's quiet space above and below and the view is panoramic in the direction of travel. If I remember correctly the forward corners (7008/7009) are over the theater and the panoramic view is aft. Wouldn't want to chance the noise and prefer to see where we're headed.

On the larger O ships we always aim for B3 extended balconies (plenty of room for two loungers, two chairs and the small table. In fact, we just booked 7108 on Marina for a 2017 grand voyage.

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

I'm going to weigh in for those who may be stressing about not getting an extended balcony. It is deeper (not wider) than a regular balcony. That means you DO have more balcony floor space (with room for a chaise), but it is either darkened by the floor above (so you are in a tunnel) or is open (with less privacy) so that the people in the balconies above can look down on you. These rooms are also located at the front and the back of the ships, so may affect people who are prone to seasickness.

I'm not saying these things are bad, I'm just saying that the extended balcony that everyone covets may not be the greatest thing for some people.

On Royal Caribbean, the Junior Suites have WIDER balcony space than the regular staterooms, so that you have room for a private chaise right up by the ocean. Their Junior Suite balconies are larger than Oceania's Terrace balconies for a similar price.

I'm going to weigh in for those who may be stressing about not getting an extended balcony. It is deeper (not wider) than a regular balcony. That means you DO have more balcony floor space (with room for a chaise), but it is either darkened by the floor above (so you are in a tunnel) or is open (with less privacy) so that the people in the balconies above can look down on you. These rooms are also located at the front and the back of the ships, so may affect people who are prone to seasickness.

I'm not saying these things are bad, I'm just saying that the extended balcony that everyone covets may not be the greatest thing for some people.

On Royal Caribbean, the Junior Suites have WIDER balcony space than the regular staterooms, so that you have room for a private chaise right up by the ocean. Their Junior Suite balconies are larger than Oceania's Terrace balconies for a similar price.

Yes, and a Chevy farm truck will haul a lot more cargo than a Mercedes SL500.

• 2 weeks later...

My first Oceania cruise last March was in a PH. Just booked Europe cruise on O Riviera in a B 2 cabin. Port intensive 7 nt. with no sea days. Did not know that you could not order hot breakfast for room service. Even on Celebrity all cabins can order hot breakfast.

It is a personal choice :D

It's also a choice influenced by related seagoing experiences.

I expect that there's a fair number of small yacht (<40') sailors and larger yacht charterers (e.g., a 60' cat) who also cruise on Oceania. Among that group, I trust that most would consider a B veranda cabin (on either an O or R ship) to be plenty big enough no matter how long the journey.

My first Oceania cruise last March was in a PH. Just booked Europe cruise on O Riviera in a B 2 cabin. Port intensive 7 nt. with no sea days. Did not know that you could not order hot breakfast for room service. Even on Celebrity all cabins can order hot breakfast.

Yes, but if you book Celebrity you're stuck on Celebrity with 3000 of your closest friends and all that entails....

celebrity+036.jpg

Cruise ships are just like real estate EVERYBODY wants the least expensive listing in the best location

riviera.jpg

This year I am doing 2 Celebrity and 2 Oceania cruises. After many years of being a X cheer leader now Oceania is my new favorite. Worth the extra money. We are in AQ or Suite on X and their prices have gone up to the point that we need to consider luxury lines.

This year I am doing 2 Celebrity and 2 Oceania cruises. After many years of being a X cheer leader now Oceania is my new favorite. Worth the extra money. We are in AQ or Suite on X and their prices have gone up to the point that we need to consider luxury lines.

Yes, and I would venture to say that there are thousands of passengers precisely in your situation, reluctantly but realistically making their way up to Oceania from Princess, Costa, HAL, X or RCCL.

For that same reason, the minimum category cabins on Oceania are wildly oversubscribed, and because the cabins below suite level are identical and there really is something to be said for "the front seat goes where the back seat goes" mentality, Oceania marketers had to draw a different line in the sand to make their middle of the road cabins more of a draw.

And that, Virginia, is how the "In Cabin Hot Breakfast" controversy was born.

You need to book at least Concierge to get it

Does anyone have photos of 10003 on the Riveria? It is PH2. We aren't sure if it will be obstructed or not being so far forward.

Looking at the photo in post #21 above it looks like the cabin is under the bridge wing with a large spotlight near by

A quick search found this photo

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=46960488&postcount=9

Edited by LHT28