Camera novice wants better pictures

TMC

LOL. I must not be most DSLR owners. I have 4 lenses already and still have another one I want to get.

You're not most. My lens collection is now about $6000 or more :/

But most dSLR owners don't spend time on photography message boards.

They have their camera in the closet, ready to come out for their kids birthday parties.

Cruising to Alaska this summer and would love to get some great photos. I do not know anything about how to use a DSLR type camera. I have an older Canon point and shoot but my iphone probably takes better photos.

I think I need better zoom and a way to deal with different light conditions. Really don't want to spend a lot as I do not believe I would use it too much. Any thoughts for me? Thanks.

TMC

You say you’re a novice and want a camera with a good zoom, capable of dealing with different lighting condition, don’t want to spend a lot of money, and you don’t think you would use it very much. I think dileep gave you the best answer, a Panasonic Lumix FZ300 or FZ200. No other camera in that category can boast a fast f2.8 across the entire zoom range. If you look around you can find the Lumin FZ200 for just under $250. The 24x zoom is the equivalent of a 600mm lens. That camera is a great choice for not a lot of money that can produce quality photos when you’re shooting in Alaska.

Also as mskaufman said, regardless of the camera you buy take it out and practice with it.

If you think you’re going to become a serious amateur photographer in the future then you might consider a DSLR camera.

LOL. I must not be most DSLR owners. I have 4 lenses already and still have another one I want to get.

We (my wife shoots too, which is a blessing and curse) have 11 lenses, and there are at least 6 more on the wish list...it's a terrible addiction. :D

You say you’re a novice and want a camera with a good zoom, capable of dealing with different lighting condition, don’t want to spend a lot of money, and you don’t think you would use it very much. I think dileep gave you the best answer, a Panasonic Lumix FZ300 or FZ200. No other camera in that category can boast a fast f2.8 across the entire zoom range. If you look around you can find the Lumin FZ200 for just under $250. The 24x zoom is the equivalent of a 600mm lens. That camera is a great choice for not a lot of money that can produce quality photos when you’re shooting in Alaska.

Also as mskaufman said, regardless of the camera you buy take it out and practice with it.

If you think you’re going to become a serious amateur photographer in the future then you might consider a DSLR camera.

I really do not see myself becoming a serious amateur photographer and just don't think I would use the camera enough to make it worth spending a lot.

The high zoom bridge cameras sound like a good compromise. I have been looking at the Panasonic 200 and 300. I notice the 300 is weather sealed and that may be good for Alaska. Also weather sealed and more zoom is the Fuji Finepix s1. Just not sure if I would be happy with the 24x zoom or want the 50x of the Fuji. Or maybe the weather seal isn't such a big deal? If not, there are also some Canon, Nikon and Sony options.

Thoughts on these?

Thanks,

TMC

If you are interested in the FZ300, here is a web address that can help you decided or learn about this camera. Graham is the godfather of the Fz camera. I had the FZ200 (loved it and you can see on the FZ200 thread) and his tutorials were the best. I just bought the FZ300 (up grade from the FZ200) great camera, check it out, think you will enjoy using it.

Tom :cool:

Cruising to Alaska this summer and would love to get some great photos. I do not know anything about how to use a DSLR type camera. I have an older Canon point and shoot but my iphone probably takes better photos.

I think I need better zoom and a way to deal with different light conditions. Really don't want to spend a lot as I do not believe I would use it too much. Any thoughts for me? Thanks.

TMC

Take a read of this: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/2015-superzoom-camera-roundup

If this is a for vacation purchase and 500 bucks, avoid a DSLR / Mirrorless, keep it simply and chances are higher you'll use the camera again and again. Of course by a real camera and you could get bitten by the photograph buy and spend thousands. But if statistics are any measure, probably not :D

1288955973_cipa-datacellphone.jpg.8adaf2171fe5c7340b2b736d31eff440.jpg

If this is a for vacation purchase and 500 bucks, avoid a DSLR / Mirrorless, keep it simply and chances are higher you'll use the camera again and again. Of course by a real camera and you could get bitten by the photograph buy and spend thousands. But if statistics are any measure, probably not :D

For the sake of a counterpoint, at the same time, OP could buy a real camera and realize he (she) hates lugging around a boat anchor that never gets switched out of auto and carrying and changing extra lenses is too much a chore. All for pictures that may only be marginally better than what is being produced now. An example of what OP wants to fix by replacing the current camera may be helpful.

For the record I carry around a Nikon D300 and 2-3 lenses (if I borrow my brother's Ultrawide) and my 16-85 is used 95% of the time.

For the sake of a counterpoint, at the same time, OP could buy a real camera and realize he (she) hates lugging around a boat anchor that never gets switched out of auto and carrying and changing extra lenses is too much a chore. All for pictures that may only be marginally better than what is being produced now. An example of what OP wants to fix by replacing the current camera may be helpful.

For the record I carry around a Nikon D300 and 2-3 lenses (if I borrow my brother's Ultrawide) and my 16-85 is used 95% of the time.

I agree with your sentiment, but this is why the market for P&S and bridge cameras is really being squeezed.

For people who don't mind carrying a moderately sized separate camera, small dSLRs and mirrorless are really not much bigger than a P&S or bridge camera, while offering superior performance.

For people who get annoying even lugging around a small mirrorless camera... a bridge camera/P&S isn't much better, and they end up preferring to just use their smart phone.

Other than the potential for a long optical zoom (which is very useful for some people some of the time), there are really almost no advantages of a bridge camera/P&S over a good smart phone. While the good smart phone may actually have lots of advantages (touch screen, easier photo sharing, easier photo editing, etc).

On my cruise to Alaska, I was amazed at how many people were shooting from the deck with nothing more than their smart phone. Even on a whale watch, there were lots of people just using their smart phones.

Don't get me wrong... there is still room for bridge cameras/P&S for some people. They can give more telephoto reach than a dSLR/mirrorless, in a slightly smaller overall package..... And this is the right balance for some people. Especially on a trip like an Alaska cruise.

dSLR/mirrorless -- if you need good telephoto reach with high image quality and don't mind carrying a small to mid-sized camera bag.

Smart phone -- if you don't need telephoto reach, and you don't want to carry any camera bag.

Bridge camera -- if you want smart phone quality image quality, but you want good telephoto reach, and you want MAYBE a slightly smaller camera bag than a dSLR/mirrorless. (a bridge camera like the Nikon P900 is actually much much bigger than the Sony A6000.... it does have more optical zoom, but due to the inferior quality, a cropped A6000 image would likely give a better result)

Edited by havoc315

Panasonic will be releasing their TZ100 in March, I believe. The price will be about $700 plus taxes. It zoom range is 25-250, but it will have a 1" sensor. However, you can put this camera in your shirt pocket (easily done, but a bit heavy). Problem with bigger cameras is the greater probability that it stays at home because of weight and bulk. What Canon camera model did you use before? What type of shots did you normally take, i.e. wide-angle mostly or entire range? Even though the zoom range is limited, problem with super zoom (bridge cameras) is that it is difficult to take sharp pictures at higher zoom because of light or you can't hold your camera steady enough. Though the recommendations for bridge cameras are valid, you have to ask yourself, do I want to lug it around all-day long?

Edited by deadzone1003

We (my wife shoots too, which is a blessing and curse) have 11 lenses, and there are at least 6 more on the wish list...it's a terrible addiction. :D

You're both not typical DSLR owners, if you average it all out...you would be either enthusiasts or budding enthusiasts. Or at least addicts.

Don't worry - it can get worse than that. I've got 5 interchangeable-lens bodies - 2 mirrorless and 3 DSLR - I use one DSLR and one mirrorless primarily and have the others as backups or spares. For the DSLR, I have 7 lenses, and for the mirrorless I have 20. I'm already mulling a possible two new camera bodies and at least 2 additional lenses are on the wishlist. And I've even recently traded in or sold 4 lenses and 3 camera bodies to thin out my collection a bit - so 5 cameras and 27 lenses is AFTER the cull!

Don't worry - it can get worse than that. I've got 5 interchangeable-lens bodies - 2 mirrorless and 3 DSLR - I use one DSLR and one mirrorless primarily and have the others as backups or spares. For the DSLR, I have 7 lenses, and for the mirrorless I have 20. I'm already mulling a possible two new camera bodies and at least 2 additional lenses are on the wishlist. And I've even recently traded in or sold 4 lenses and 3 camera bodies to thin out my collection a bit - so 5 cameras and 27 lenses is AFTER the cull!

We've got 0 mirrorless and 5 DSLR bodies, 4 of them full-frame, 1 "half-crop" that is admittedly a spare camera. However, I'm not afraid to admit that I've got six Profoto lights, nine softboxes, two hard reflectors (with a third arriving Monday), an 11" Fresnel lens attachment, grids, 8 light stands of different types...

We've got 0 mirrorless and 5 DSLR bodies, 4 of them full-frame, 1 "half-crop" that is admittedly a spare camera. However, I'm not afraid to admit that I've got six Profoto lights, nine softboxes, two hard reflectors (with a third arriving Monday), an 11" Fresnel lens attachment, grids, 8 light stands of different types...

2 bodies.. 1 crop mirrorless and 1 full frame dSLR. 2 speedlights. A few umbrellas and stands and softboxes. At least 3 tripods. Just sold a couple of lenses... still have 6 prime lenses.. 3 or 4 zooms... a couple of teleconverters. Photoshop, Lightroom, DXO Pro, Portrait Professional, and some other software.

Then there is more if you include my son's Nikon J3 camera and lenses.... etc.

I really do not see myself becoming a serious amateur photographer and just don't think I would use the camera enough to make it worth spending a lot.

The high zoom bridge cameras sound like a good compromise. I have been looking at the Panasonic 200 and 300. I notice the 300 is weather sealed and that may be good for Alaska. Also weather sealed and more zoom is the Fuji Finepix s1. Just not sure if I would be happy with the 24x zoom or want the 50x of the Fuji. Or maybe the weather seal isn't such a big deal? If not, there are also some Canon, Nikon and Sony options.

Thoughts on these?

Thanks,

TMC

For an Alaskan cruise having a weather sealed camera is a pretty good idea considering the high probability of encountering a lot of cloudy rainy weather.

I don’t own a camera with a 50x zoom (1200mm?) but I have to wonder if using a tripod would be a requirement for getting crisp photos with the lens zoomed out that far. Even with image stabilization, I would think camera shake would be an issue at 50x.

I found a local store that has quite a few of these options. I ruled out the Nikon P900 - too big. Tried the Fuji Finepix s1 and Panasonic Lumix FZ300. I took a shot of a far off tree at max zoom on each. No blur in eirther so would say the image stabilization is good. I really think I want the 50x of the Fuji for Alaska, but have read that the Lumix 2.8 aperture will be better image quality. I found the darkest corner of the store and still got good shots on both.

There is about $100 difference in price. I am wondering if I could make up for the shorter zoom of the Lumix with some digital zoom or cropping. I read that it has intelligent zoom and think I even understand what that means - not forcing the cropped image back up to the original higher megapixels.

Thoughts between these two?

Thanks,

TMC

This web site rates the Fz300 image quality better. These sites are good for compare but like dpreview.com for answers from fellow photographers.

http://www.digitalversus.com/digital-camera/face-off/18466-27469-versus-table.html

Also cool video using the FZ300 digital zoom, just an option for extended photo length.

Tom :cool:

Edited by c230k

• 2 weeks later...

The "camera novice" bought one. Took my teenage son with me to camera store. I thought he had a slight interest in photography but is into all things technology so to speak. He quickly decided among the ones I had in the running, and I (he) now owns a Panasonic Lumix FZ300! He already used it for a school project and is thinking of joining the photography club. Hope I get to use it soon :)

Thanks for all the help here.

TMC