Observations on the Ultimate Beverage Package

GEORGIA-LARRY

Just got off the NCL Star 7 day cruise of the western Caribbean. A large proportion of the passengers had taken advantage of the UBP promotion (we did not - - we chose the prepaid gratuities instead).

My observations: Looooong lines at every bar. Only one or two bartenders working and working slowly at that. Only one server working the entire pool deck area. A LOT of FRUSTRATED people wanting drinks, even just water or sodas.

My guess as to why: The UBP promotion has taken away any incentive to serve drinks quickly. The slower they go, the less they have to serve. Which translates into a lower cost promotion.

I'm not going on NCL again and stand in line 15 minutes for a soda and a beer.

I'm seriously starting to question if there's two Norwegian Cruise Lines. If there are, I'm thankful I keep booking the one where I can walk up to any bar at anytime and get quick service.

I agree, at least for the Jade. Only one time did I see a long line at one of the pool bars and I just walked to the other one and was served quickly. I never waited longer than 5 minutes to get a drink.

I'm seriously starting to question if there's two Norwegian Cruise Lines. If there are, I'm thankful I keep booking the one where I can walk up to any bar at anytime and get quick service.

It is odd the way people's experiences are so varied isn't it.

In our case, I assume that it's the bars we go to. We very rarely buy a drink at the pool bar during the day for example.

I don't think I have ever waited more than a couple of minutes for a drink, and I've not noticed any difference since the UBP started being offered as a perk. In that time we've been on the Getaway, Spirit and Escape and have always been able to get a drink very easily.

I'm not questioning the OPs post, but it does seem very odd the differences in people's experiences.

Me too. 3 cruises with UBP, and I've never had an issue getting a drink.

My personal experience with UBP is great and fast service... Although, I never go to the poolside bar. I also tip the bartenders, starting from the very first day and frequent the same bars. After the first day, whenever I approach the bar, they are asking for my order before I even sit down... Works every time...

i have had great service with UDP no issues but what is really refreshing is that the bars are lively now. You used to walk around the ship and you would see the lone bartender waiting for orders, sure on or two of the bars were busy but the others would be dead. Now everything is lively most of the time, it becomes much more sociable.

Same here. On the NCL Star 1/31 to 2/7, 1 week prior to Larry. We really had no issues, but we did stay away from Biergarten because it was always packed. Even when the pool bar had 4 or 5 people in front of us, the 2 or 3 bartenders were hoppin' behind the counter and we had a drink in less than 5 minutes. The only long line was in Spinnaker right before a show was starting and there was only 1 bartender at the time. There are so many bars on the ship that unless you're going up every 15 minutes for another beer or just trying to get S-faced, then you should have no problem waiting for the people in front of you to be served.

My personal experience with UBP is great and fast service... Although, I never go to the poolside bar. I also tip the bartenders, starting from the very first day and frequent the same bars. After the first day, whenever I approach the bar, they are asking for my order before I even sit down... Works every time...

Do you tip cash?

Just got off the NCL Star 7 day cruise of the western Caribbean. A large proportion of the passengers had taken advantage of the UBP promotion (we did not - - we chose the prepaid gratuities instead).

My observations: Looooong lines at every bar. Only one or two bartenders working and working slowly at that. Only one server working the entire pool deck area. A LOT of FRUSTRATED people wanting drinks, even just water or sodas.

My guess as to why: The UBP promotion has taken away any incentive to serve drinks quickly. The slower they go, the less they have to serve. Which translates into a lower cost promotion.

I'm not going on NCL again and stand in line 15 minutes for a soda and a beer.

I agree. My sister and I were on the Gem in November with the ubp. We left O'sheehans a few times because we could not get drinks. They weren't that busy. We also waited long times in Shaker's, the atrium and Spinnaker. We concluded unscientifically, of course, that the less drinks served, the bigger the bottom line. We always had cash sitting on the bars or tables. It didn't matter.

We are going again in March and surely hope for an improvement in this area.

I agree. My sister and I were on the Gem in November with the ubp. We left O'sheehans a few times because we could not get drinks. They weren't that busy. We also waited long times in Shaker's, the atrium and Spinnaker. We concluded unscientifically, of course, that the less drinks served, the bigger the bottom line. We always had cash sitting on the bars or tables. It didn't matter.

We are going again in March and surely hope for an improvement in this area.

I'm curious, if corporate did want to slow down drinks, why would the crew go along with it? Also, how would they determine who had UBP and who didn't unless they had previously served the person? Even if corporate wanted to slow down service for UBP guests, they would still want to serve cash guests as much as possible.

I'm not saying you are wrong, but I really have a hard time understanding this one.

Same here. On the NCL Star 1/31 to 2/7, 1 week prior to Larry. We really had no issues, but we did stay away from Biergarten because it was always packed. Even when the pool bar had 4 or 5 people in front of us, the 2 or 3 bartenders were hoppin' behind the counter and we had a drink in less than 5 minutes. The only long line was in Spinnaker right before a show was starting and there was only 1 bartender at the time. There are so many bars on the ship that unless you're going up every 15 minutes for another beer or just trying to get S-faced, then you should have no problem waiting for the people in front of you to be served.

Ditto. We were on the same cruise and had to wait a few times poolside, but that was right as the ship was leaving a port. Otherwise we never had to wait and I never tipped extra. The bartenders at the pool were very efficient.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had the total opposite experience as OP. I was on a sold-out cruise and had no issues getting drinks. Longest I had to wait was at the pool bar before sail away and that was maybe 5 minutes.

Now, if you are ordering drinks from the waitress/waiter that comes around, that may take a while.

i have had great service with UDP no issues but what is really refreshing is that the bars are lively now. You used to walk around the ship and you would see the lone bartender waiting for orders, sure on or two of the bars were busy but the others would be dead. Now everything is lively most of the time, it becomes much more sociable.

What an excellent point, I could agree more. It really makes for a great atmosphere at every bar.

Same as us. We went on the right Norwegian. The only time we experienced a line was during embarkation and we were at the pool bar (with everyone else on the ship). After that, no problems. Granted, we didn't try to get drinks at the dance club late at night, I could see them always being busy...just like on land.

Well this is fascinating. It seems most of the responses would indicate that my experience was a bit unique. I'm not a big drinker nor am I an impatient person. Happy to wait for my turn. This was just such a switch from previous cruises where the availability of beverages seemed to be much greater.

I'm glad that others had a much better experience and I'm glad I posted my thoughts so that I could get a different perspective.

I'm glad that others had a much better experience and I'm glad I posted my thoughts so that I could get a different perspective.

What a nice, thoughtful response!

I hope you had a good time, despite the issues you encountered. Good luck on your future cruises.

Word! I have been on 4 cruises so far with the UBP and another one coming up this Saturday and I have never had anything but quick and top notch service.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well this is fascinating. It seems most of the responses would indicate that my experience was a bit unique. I'm not a big drinker nor am I an impatient person. Happy to wait for my turn. This was just such a switch from previous cruises where the availability of beverages seemed to be much greater.

Tonight, we had a similar discussion at home about cruises. We talked about how the people in two cabins (even next to each other) could have vastly different experiences. Just having different room stewards, where one cleans/straightens the room every time you leave....and the other cabin could have a mediocre steward that doesn't do a good job. Then throw in different waiters, excursions, and such. Maybe one couple is lucky to snag lounge chairs when they show up at the pool, but the other couple never gets to use one at all.

It is interesting.

I think you are looking at it with an open mind and seem very reasonable, based on your post I quoted.

I do hope your next cruise goes much smoother.

Its not that your issue was far out or "unique"...There are a lot of things to

consider when it comes to service on the ship. Try and stay away from the poolside bar at 2pm or on sailaway cause its just too darn busy. Especially the

waiters that walk around the pool, (unless your a big tipper..they will always

remember you then) Remember...find your "go-to" bartender and he will always remember you and get you what you need quick. Above all, your not paying for those drinks at the time, You have already purchased the package, Take care of the hard workers and tip them well.....I have made great friends for the week with bartenders who I make sure I take care of

Thanks for the tip about the pool bars which actually makes sense since last year without UBP the pool bars stayed busy. We are sailing with friends (we met on a cruise and enjoyed meeting up for nightcaps) We will find and pick our favorite bar to meet-up and enjoy our UBP.

I had a similar experience on the Epic last week.

No I had no problem getting a drink but it is more than obvious that NCL is not trying to "sell" drinks anymore on board. In headliners there were two bar servers for the complete audience and most people just walked up to the bar or brought their own drink from outside.

In the theatre some time ago the bar servers were walking the aisle and rows making eye contact and asking for bar orders, not happening any more.

I think I saw not more than 10 people on the 11 day cruise who even signed for drinks so nearly everyone who had interest in drinking had the package anyway.