Completely new to Princess

Joshuasgurl0409

Hope it's ok jumping in with a question. Mainly been with Royal Caribbean recently, but have a cruise booked with Princess. Very recently we've started having most evening meals on RC in Windjammer, because it sorts hubby and my dietary needs and inclinations better than the main dining room. Things we especially like in Windjammer are the large variety of vegetables and salads, and the fish dishes. Any views re how Horizon (I think that's right?) compares to Windjammer?

We're not sure what to do yet, because we do enjoy the company we've met in the traditional dining situations.

Is there somewhere it's easy to have a look at sample menus for the main dining room?

Also, a question re formal nights. If we eat in the self service will we feel out of place during the rest of the evening, not in our formal gear?

Thanks in advance.

This has been good to read. We are going with Princess for the first time this year in September from Southampton. Good to know some of the points from others. We have Cruised with Fred Olsen, Royal Caribbean and Celebrity, will be interesting to compare. In the end we are on the cruise because of where it is going and I am sure it will be good.

Hope it's ok jumping in with a question. Mainly been with Royal Caribbean recently, but have a cruise booked with Princess. Very recently we've started having most evening meals on RC in Windjammer, because it sorts hubby and my dietary needs and inclinations better than the main dining room. Things we especially like in Windjammer are the large variety of vegetables and salads, and the fish dishes. Any views re how Horizon (I think that's right?) compares to Windjammer?

We're not sure what to do yet, because we do enjoy the company we've met in the traditional dining situations.

Is there somewhere it's easy to have a look at sample menus for the main dining room?

Also, a question re formal nights. If we eat in the self service will we feel out of place during the rest of the evening, not in our formal gear?

Thanks in advance.

I'll be going on my first Princess cruise next week so I can't answer about how their dining rooms work (I will report back).

On Royal, I have always eaten in the MDR (I hate hate hate buffets). We are not bread and potato people so we always ask for a large plate of steamed or sautéed vegetables. It's never been a problem. They usually have one fish option on the menu as well. Besides what's on the menu, they've always seemed able to drum up some kind of fish for us.

I'm hoping Princess will be similar.

On a side note, I never see so much beige colored food except when I'm cruising. I guess potatoes and rice/noodles are cheap.

Really love princess!

Highly recommend soda & more package. Includes mocktails and hot chocolate from IC.

Recent food on Crown best I have had on any ship. Love combination of entertainment and info/ discovery activities.

I agree about the KUSP , but ur recent trip on Crown the best food u have every had???? just curious what sailing were u on and more details about the food plz. We will be boarding her Saturday.

We were on the Regal the first part of this month. We arrived at the port just before 11 AM. Already there was a huge line that went the full length of the terminal and then doubled back waiting for the doors to open. Luckily though they were allowing those who had expedited boarding passes into the terminal. We were in the terminal, through security, had our sea passes and were on the way to the special lounge when they opened the door for the non-privileged group to enter the terminal. We had a short wait before being allowed to get on the ship and were standing on the ship just after noon.

The rooms were not ready until 1 PM. They would only take pax to the lido deck. Ship personnel were controlling all the elevators and they were "guarding" the stairs not allowing anyone to use them. Shortly before 1 PM we were able to take out things to the cabin and proceed down to the Fiesta deck to get lunch in the MDR which closed at 1:30.

Sounds like some RCI ships.

Edited by land lover

Yes, you are required to take your life vest with you to the muster drill but you are Not to wear them or put them on until instructed to do so.

It's totally inside and doesn't take very long.

They will scan your cruise card when you enter.

Yes.. Carried to muster.. Donned when instructed. Carried back to cabin..

Thanks for the responses, and Cuizer, thanks for the posting the picture. Was hoping this was a practice that had been changed. We really like when life vests at muster were no longer required on another cruise line. Will feel like old times. :D

So glad I found this thread! After sampling most of the major lines and ultimately sticking primarily to Royal Caribbean, Princess had just never been on my radar for some reason.

After our recent cruise on NCL Escape we knew we wanted to try something a bit more upscale and go back to a smaller ship. From my signature, you can tell I love the small-ish Radiance class on RC. Big ship features but you still feel like you're at sea in a perfect sized package.

So after being packed like sardines into the NCL Escape, I ran off and booked a Celebrity trip for next winter. I cruised Celebrity several years ago with a larger group, so my memory is starting to fade in regard to what I did and didn't like. I had glance over the Celebrity/Princess comparison thread that was recently posted but didn't have time to dig in too deep.

The more I look at the two, I think the Royal Princess may be a better fit than Celebrity. Please correct me if I'm wrong or share your thoughts...but here's what I have gathered so far.

• Pricess has more casual dining options...something we missed on X. We enjoyed the food and venues and upscale feel and would participate in a formal night on Princess, but I want more casual options in case we don't feel like getting dressed up.
  • More dining options in general on Princess
  • More night time activities. We felt like eating and drinking was all we did on X during the evening. Lounge-type singer entertainment doesn't do much for me.
  • Slightly younger overall crowd
  • First impression seems like I would favor the Princess ship layout

So am I on target with my assumptions? It seems like a lot of Celebrity and Princess fans go back and forth between the two lines but I just have a feeling that Princess may be the better option for us. Thanks in advance!

In general the average passenger on Princess is a little older and less active than the passengers on on Carnival, NCL and Royal Caribbean (three lines I have also been on).

The Princess ships are geared more to the adults and less to children when compared to Carnival, NCL and Royal Caribbean. There are no water slides or rock climbing walls. The cabin layout is also different. I just completed my third cruise on Princess and have a review which discusses the differences in the cabins and includes photographs of the cabin. You can see my review by clicking on the link below ...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2316257

What a terrible way to describe people. Hopefully, you are not a people watcher.

Now that I think about it, you must be since you just described the passengers. Not nice.

"Not nice?" What's wrong with saying the people are older? I belong to a club where the average age is north of 50. Would I be mean spirited to say the club has "older people" in it? No, of course not.

The same thing applies to cruise lines. If a person notices that most of the people he sees are older and less active compared to another cruise line should he not mention this? I don't see anything wrong with this.

Of course, I'm not one of those political correct touchy-feely people.

I'm so excited.. by reading some responses as to when we should get to the port, I'm thinking we will go early, maybe around 9:30 or 10. Of course we did get the email not to show up to the port any earlier than 1 for our deck (dolphin),, but where's the fun in that? :):cool:

Edited by Joshuasgurl0409

Guess it varies by ship and/or if there's been an unexpected delay ... but we have priority boarding on Princess and have always been on the ship and have been able to go directly to our cabin by Noon. :)

We've also been able to gain cabin access immediately upon boarding on the non-Royal class Princess ships. However, our two Christmas cruises on Regal, the hall entry was locked off until 1:00. Maybe greater number of passengers = more time needed for cleaning? Didn't seem like it was due to a specific issue/problem they were having.

Highly recommend Alfredo's (if you like Italian - and who doesn't?) for embarkation day lunch to avoid chaos of buffet. Lovely setting, full waiter service, higher end food than buffet or what's available poolside, and free!

Edited by h-sar

This thread is just what I needed to see today! :) We have only sailed Royal, and are Emerald. But, we really want to start looking at a 10-12 night British Isles cruise, and I could only find what we really like, itinerary-wise at Princess. I know there will be many differences to figure out, but I have time. I think we are looking at 2019 - so I can't even book yet!! :o

And, after that, Alaska. And everyone tells me I HAVE to sail Princess for Alaska.

So, thank you, those of you who have chimed in about coming over to Princess ships - I feel good about our decision!

So far, our only Princess cruise has been Alaska and to TOTALLY concur - you HAVE to sail Princess to Alaska. They have so much to offer, especially if you want to do ship sponsored shore excursions rather than doing your own thing.

We just booked a Panama Canal cruise on the Island Princess because of the itinerary. Although we had nothing to specific to complain about on our Alaska cruise on Princess, we haven't been back, mainly due to cost and the fact that we fell in love with the concept of no enforced formal night on NCL.

I'm excited to try Princess again, I just hope that will all the sea days we have that we won't end up bored. I'm also hoping that we will be OK bopping around in our shorts and jeans on formal night after we go to the buffet to eat. I may dress up once, but definitely not 3 times.

"Not nice?" What's wrong with saying the people are older? I belong to a club where the average age is north of 50. Would I be mean spirited to say the club has "older people" in it? No, of course not.

The same thing applies to cruise lines. If a person notices that most of the people he sees are older and less active compared to another cruise line should he not mention this? I don't see anything wrong with this.

Of course, I'm not one of those political correct touchy-feely people.

Just remember: "older" does not mean "less active". We are constantly telling the younger ones we encounter "just try to keep up".